Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Nark..I want to challenge you....

Switch to a 3 day per week routine for a while consisting of mainly just compound movements. Ie: deads, squat, benches, bent over BB rows, shoulder presses, SLDL, chins, skull crushers etc etc...

Give each muscle group jsut 3-6 WORKING sets per week. I mean intese, balls to the wall sets. Eat your ass off, and get some extra sleep in, since you wont be training as often, therefore, possibly taking a load off of your schedule.

I know you are stubborn about this stuff and I understand that because you say you have found what works for you after lot of experimentation. But man, try it out, there is no way you wont grow, and I know you know your stuff, but I am just suggesting this to you b/c I think it would suit you best right now with your sechedule the way it is...as well as pack mass on your frame. You may try it out and find that you have been missing out on extra gains all along IT just hurts me to come read your journal and see your warped eating/training/sleeping schedule. I dunno, maybe it's jsut because I am not used to it.

I respect the fact that you work so hard. I will be honest and say you have more drive than me and probably 99% of the other people on this board, but such determination is not ALWAYS a good thing (it can blind you at times). I know you don't like to take the easy way out, but DOn't worry this wouldn't be a short cut bc I IMHO, I feel it would work just as well if not better for you. Just my thoughts...

Please, do not take this post as an insult, you know I got mad respect for you and your knowledge and well as your drive. I know it will take you far in life. It's just that sometimes the better point of view is form the outside looking in. Best wishes to you my friend.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Nark..I want to challenge you....

Switch to a 3 day per week routine for a while consisting of mainly just compound movements. Ie: deads, squat, benches, bent over BB rows, shoulder presses, SLDL, chins, skull crushers etc etc...

Give each muscle group jsut 3-6 WORKING sets per week. I mean intese, balls to the wall sets. Eat your ass off, and get some extra sleep in, since you wont be training as often, therefore, possibly taking a load off of your schedule.

I know you are stubborn about this stuff and I understand that because you say you have found what works for you after lot of experimentation. But man, try it out, there is no way you wont grow, and I know you know your stuff, but I am just suggesting this to you b/c I think it would suit you best right now with your sechedule the way it is...as well as pack mass on your frame. You may try it out and find that you have been missing out on extra gains all along IT just hurts me to come read your journal and see your warped eating/training/sleeping schedule. I dunno, maybe it's jsut because I am not used to it.

I respect the fact that you work so hard. I will be honest and say you have more drive than me and probably 99% of the other people on this board, but such determination is not ALWAYS a good thing (it can blind you at times). I know you don't like to take the easy way out, but DOn't worry this wouldn't be a short cut bc I IMHO, I feel it would work just as well if not better for you. Just my thoughts...

Please, do not take this post as an insult, you know I got mad respect for you and your knowledge and well as your drive. I know it will take you far in life. It's just that sometimes the better point of view is form the outside looking in. Best wishes to you my friend.
    Great Post S.

No love lost

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Great Post S.

No love lost
    After all that writing, this is the only response you give back?!?!?

j/k LOL

But seriously, give me your thoughts dude!

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Shoulders:

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:

I took my time warming up.. as i could hear my shoulder creaking and crunching tru every rep.

Set 1: 35 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [warm-up]
    Set 2: 45 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [warm-up]
    Set 3: 55 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [warm-up]
    Set 4: 65 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [warm-up]

Set 5: 80 lb dumbbells: 7 reps [workset: unassisted reps]
    Set 6: 80 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [workset: unassisted reps]

Set 7: 100 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [workset: assisted reps]

The negative component of set 7 surpised me. I felt so strong... Wasn't shaking or anything. It was very slow and controlled. I should be pressing these in a couple weeks.

s
    The week prior you struggled w/90's.You said the set actually sucked.This week you jumped 10pounds (which is tons for delts) and did it with ease?
    That's really tough to do drug-free...I never have seen anyone jump that quickly (weighwise) on delt movements like that.
    Not questioning you,but stating to jump that much in poundage on a delt movement that quickly is pretty fvkin tough to do,even on anabolics.

~Pinnacle~

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    The week prior you struggled w/90's.You said the set actually sucked.This week you jumped 10pounds (which is tons for delts) and did it with ease?
    That's really tough to do drug-free...I never have seen anyone jump that quickly (weighwise) on delt movements like that.
    Not questioning you,but stating to jump that much in poundage on a delt movement that quickly is pretty fvkin tough to do,even on anabolics.

~Pinnacle~
    It says the reps were assisted. I believe he explained "assisted" earlier in the thread stating that his partner did most of the lifting and he did more of a negative motion.

~Pinnacle~
    I understand what you're pointing out. I'll explain as best i can tho.

The week prior i struggled at the 90s because i wasted too much energy getting them to shoulder height.

I've started using my training partners for this.. getting them to simultaneously lift the dumbbells from my lap to shoulder height so i can conserve energy for the set. Last week i got a bad lift. One training partner got to shoulder height while one fumbled... All the while i was gripping the dumbbells.. the stabilising on the fumble left pretty much spent.

In addition, my warm-up scheme was different the week prior: longer

The 80 lb dumbbells are my 'comfort zone'.. anything above that is taxing... the 100s are my goal but i normally avoid going at 'em because I've had some bad experiences in the past at the 100s. Depending on my perceived energy level i'll go up to either the 90s or 100s and do very slow controlled negative work: noted as 'assisted reps'. My training partner assists me on the positive and i resist the negative with all my might.

I find that the addition of negative work increases my strength quickly so i make it a mainstay in my routines.

I hope to be pressing the 100s within 4 weeks... that's my goal... That and remaining injury-free.

I think that the limiting factor on my strength gains... factors rather.. would be my current food intake.. and the nuber of hours i currently sleep.. as highlighted by my bros here. Honestly, minus anabolics, i think if i ate/slept more i'd be stronger.

I recall earlier in my competitive career my coach had me on this program... and i made strength gains from week to week.. over the entireity of the 2+ years we worked together... anabolic free. It was awesome. I'm trying to replicate that environment now.

Hope that clears it up somewhat.. or at least offers some insight into my thought process...thanks for reading Pinn.

~Nark

But seriously, give me your thoughts dude!
    My thoughts are.. I've been there.. and it doesn't work for me.

Tai and i have had this argument a couple times.

I tried the lower volume.. and yea i get stronger.. but not bigger.

I notice muscle quality decreases... i think that's tied into infrequent training.

Since i am natural for the majority of the year.. I've had to learn how to force gains naturally. Honestly, the very low volume.. 3 day stuff doesn't work for me.

If it did it'd make life easier.

Thanks for the input thos S. ...suggestions are always appreciated.

~C

primetime1 is offline Member
    Nark, out of curiosity, how often do you switch your work out style up.
    do you stay with the same regime through out the year ?
    i know your into volume training but, do you ever switch things up to get more recovery? (ie, extra day off somewhere) do you change things ever to try and stimulate new/ more growth? if you do change things up, how long do you usually go with the same regime till switchin to something new?

Friday 24th February 2006

Shoulders; Back; Biceps

Walked to the gym: 19 minutes (brisk)

General warm-up: Shoulder rotations: 25 reps

Shoulders:

Seated Dumbell Press:

warm-up: 35 lb dumbbells: 5 sets: 6 reps each

Set 1: 80 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [unassisted]
    Set 2: 80 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [unassisted]
    Set 3: 100 lb dumbbells: 4 reps [assisted]
    Set 4: 80 lb dumbbells: 8 reps [5 reps unassisted + 3 spots]

Back:

Deadlifts:

general warm-up: bare bar: 1 set: 10 reps

Set 1: 135 lbs: 6 reps [warm-up]
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 6 reps [warm-up]
    Set 3: 495 lbs: 2 reps [PERSONAL BEST]; 315 lbs: 4 reps [drop-set]

Chins:

3 sets: bodyweight: 6 reps each set ['warm-up']

Set 4: 45 lb plate [strapped to waist]: 4 [assisted] reps; [stripped to] bodyweight: 4 [assisted] reps

Biceps:

One-arm Dumbbell Preacher Curl:

Set 1: 40 lb dumbbell: 8 reps
    Set 2: 40 lb dumbbell: 6 reps

Seated Alternate Dumbbell Curl:

Set 1: 60 lb dumbbells: 4 reps; 40 lb dumbbells: 4 reps

One-arm Dumbbell Spider Curl:

Set 1: 20 lb dumbbell: 8 reps
    Set 2: 20 lb dumbbell: 8 reps

Session duration: approx. 1 hr

Walk home from gym: 22 minutes

~Narkissos

session notes:

Felt a little twinge at the end of the session.. I don't think i kept my torso as flat as it should've been on the deadlifts. Still it was a pretty good lift overall. 500 lbs is definately within reach. Technically, if i can pull 495 for 2.. then i should be able to pull 500 for 1.600 lbs is the main goal.. and that may be within reach... possibly around year-end

Quote Originally Posted by primetime1
    Nark, out of curiosity, how often do you switch your work out style up.
    do you stay with the same regime through out the year ?
    i know your into volume training but, do you ever switch things up to get more recovery? (ie, extra day off somewhere) do you change things ever to try and stimulate new/ more growth? if you do change things up, how long do you usually go with the same regime till switchin to something new?
    I usually train the same way year-round... The only thing i may change is my cardio amount.. Other than that, i may toss in a rest day here and there if i feel i need it. Most times i don't need it.

Since coming to the boards i've change my routine a couple times to stimulate growth.. or to try new ideas.

Still i keep on coming back to this present rountine.. cus it works for me.. no questions.

The times i'm most likely to interject a change are: directly after a contest.. or after a heavy bulking cycle.. or maybe if i've hit a plateau (tho that happens rarely)... When i make a change i keep to it for no less than 6 weeks. That's the amount of time suggested my coach years ago.. so that's ingrained in my thought process... I can't explain why 6 weeks tho.. cus i simply don't know lol. It's just something he said to me years ago.. and something that i've done since.

~Nark

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Amazing DEADS BRO! well done

Sunday 26th February 2006

Chest; Triceps; Legs

Almost didn't train.. have been having some serious gluteus medius pain. Hurt to do everything

Chest:

Flat Barbell Bench:

3 sets: bare bar: 15 reps each set: warm-up

Set 1: 135 lbs: 6 reps
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 4 reps
    Set 3: 315 lbs: 1 [negative] rep; 225 lbs: 4 reps
    Set 4: 225 lbs: 4 reps

Incline Dumbbell Press:

Set 1: 100 lb dumbbells: 4 reps [unassisted]
    Set 2: 110 lb dumbbells: 4 reps [1 rep unassisted; 3 spots]
    Set 3: 100 lb dumbbells: 7 reps [3 rep unassisted; 4 spots]

Triceps:

Dumbbell French Press:

3 sets: 40 lb dumbbell: 12 reps each set: warm-up

Set 1: 60 lb dumbbell: 8 reps
    Set 2: 80 lb dumbbell: 6 reps
    Set 3: 100 lb dumbbell: 5 reps [1 unassisted + 4 spots]

Quads:

Barbell Squats:

Decided to go to parallel today...not below as i've bene doing recently. Noticed my functional strength had decreased, as i've been squatting below parallel for a lil while now.

Set 1: 135 lbs: 8 reps
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 8 reps
    Set 3: 315 lbs: 4 reps
    Set 4: 405 lbs: 4 reps [w/ spotter]
    Set 5: 315 lbs: 4 reps
    Set 6: 225 lbs: 10 reps

Calves Tri-set:

Leg-press calf-raise; Seated Calf-raise; Standing Calf-raise:

Set 1: 300 lbs: 10 reps/ 50 lbs: 10 reps/ 90 lbs: 10 reps
    Set 2: 390 lbs: 10 reps/ 100 lbs: 10 reps/ 90 lbs: 10 reps
    Set 3: 480 lbs: 10 reps/ 100 lbs: 10 reps/ 90 lbs: 10 reps
    Set 4: 480 lbs: 10 reps/ 50 lbs: 10 reps/ 90 lbs: 10 reps

Sweet pump... sweet session

~Narkissos

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    Amazing DEADS BRO! well done
    Thanks Tai... Trying to reach 600 injury free.. before Johan does

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    may i suggest.. HALO?! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    may i suggest.. HALO?! ;D
    lmao!

Wesnesday 1st March 2006

Back; Shoulders; Biceps; Cardio

General Warm-up: Recumbant Bike: 5 minutes

Deadlifts:

bare bar: 10 reps; warm-up

135 lbs: 10 reps [warm-up]
    225 lbs: 4 reps [warm-up]

Set 1: 500 lbs: 2 reps [Personal Best]; 315 lbs: 2 reps [drop-set]

Chins:

4 sets: bodyweight: 6 reps; 6 reps; 6 reps; 4 reps

One-arm Dumbbell Row:

Set 1: 100 lb dumbbell: 10 reps
    Set 2: 120 lb dumbbell: 10 reps

[V-bar] Lat Pulldowns:

Set 1: 145 lbs: 10 reps
    Set 2: 200 lbs: 4 reps; 145 lbs: 6 reps

General warm-up: Seated Dumbbell press: 3 sets: 30 lb dumbbells: 8 reps each set

Standing dumbbell one-arm push-press:

Set 1: 100lb dumbbell: 2 failed attempts

Seated Dumbbell Press:

Set 1: 80 lb dumbbells: 8 reps [unassisted]
    Set 2: 90 lb dumbbells: 5 reps [assisted: had a bad start,wasted a lot of energy]
    Set 3: 80 lb dumbbells: 7 reps [4 reps unassisted; 3 spots]

Seated Bent-laterals:

4 sets: 30 lb dumbbells: 10 reps each set

Seated alternate dumbbell curl:

Set 1: 60 lb dumbbells: 7 reps
    Set 2: 75 lb dumbbells: 1 rep; 60 lb dumbbells: 4 reps
    Set 3: 70 lb dumbbells: 3 reps; 60 lb dumbbells: 2 reps; 50 lb dumbbells: 2 reps

One-arm dumbbell Spider curls:

Set 1: 25 lb dumbbell: 10 reps
    Set 2: 35 lb dumbbell: 6 reps
    Set 3: 40 lb dumbbell: 6 reps

Cardio: PWO: 25 minutes: Stairmaster

Great session

~Narkissos

Hey nark, are you using straps and/or a belt on those 500kb deads? BTW, nice lift!

Hey nark, are you using straps and/or a belt on those 500kb deads? BTW, nice lift!
    Yea.. actually i'm using both.

I don't usually train with a belt but at that poundage i'm taking no chances.. Straps i only use on very heavy worksets.. so yea i only used 'em on the 500lb set... and again on the dumbbell rows.

Thanks man

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    hows the head feel when you lift it Narky..?

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob33
    hows the head feel when you lift it Narky..?
    Honestly i only ever get that dizzy feeling when i try to max out while squatting.

On deads i my face and eyes swell.. The veins on my forehead bulge.. and my eyes looks (and feel) like they're about to burst.

All in all it's pretty awesome lol

Yea.. actually i'm using both.

I don't usually train with a belt but at that poundage i'm taking no chances.. Straps i only use on very heavy worksets.. so yea i only used 'em on the 500lb set... and again on the dumbbell rows.

Thanks man

Cool. Yea, I was jsut curious b/c I was doing deads on Wed. with 500lbs and I was using a belt and straps, I probably coulda gone w/o the belt but take no chance like you w/ that weight. I was gonna be pissed if you were not using straps and I was !!! LOL I have terrible grip strength Keep those gains comin brother.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Cool. Yea, I was jsut curious b/c I was doing deads on Wed. with 500lbs and I was using a belt and straps, I probably coulda gone w/o the belt but take no chance like you w/ that weight. I was gonna be pissed if you were not using straps and I was !!! LOL I have terrible grip strength Keep those gains comin brother.
    ever try chalk? Chalk is really underrated I never use straps on deads. Ahh this applies to nark too since its his thread and all

Yea, I have used chalk, you are right, it helps a ton, but when there is 500+ lbs on there, it still won't let me hold it. One time I actually ripped through three callouses on my hand and was bleeding every where when I used chalk

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yea, I have used chalk, you are right, it helps a ton, but when there is 500+ lbs on there, it still won't let me hold it. One time I actually ripped through three callouses on my hand and was bleeding every where when I used chalk
    yep..couple weeks ago when I did 495x3 I loaded up with chalk and grip wasnt a prob or anything. 500+ for reps tho..damn.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    yep..couple weeks ago when I did 495x3 I loaded up with chalk and grip wasnt a prob or anything. 500+ for reps tho..damn.
    495 for 3? wow man.. that's sweet!

----------------
    Saturday 4th March 2006

Legs; Chest; Triceps

Today's session was preceded by a bike ride to the gym.. approximately 10 minutes in duration.

My lower back was 'tired' from the max effort deads earlier in the week so i didn't squat today

Quads:

Leg-press:

Set 1: 120 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]
    Set 2: 210 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]
    Set 3: 300 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]
    Set 4: 390 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]

Set 5: 500 lbs: 15 reps [workset] [Narrow stance: feet 12" apart]
    Set 6: 600 lbs: 15 reps [workset] [Narrow stance: feet 12" apart]
    Set 7: 700 lbs: 15 reps [workset] [Narrow stance: feet 12" apart]

Set 7.. i dunno if i can call this a personal best. It's the most reps i've ever put in at that weight... Still, usually when i think 'personal bests' i'm thinking singles.. and doubles. not 15-rep sets.

My endurance is definately increasing.

Hams:

Seated Leg-curls:

5 sets: 75 lbs: 15 reps per set

Calves:

Tri-set: Leg-press raise; Seated Raise; Standing Raise

Set 1: 300 lbs: 15 reps/ 50 lbs: 15 reps/ 90 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 2: 300 lbs: 15 reps/ 50 lbs: 15 reps/ 90 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 3: 300 lbs: 15 reps/ 50 lbs: 15 reps/ 90 lbs: 15 reps

The 1st set was doable... increasing my rep range from the usual 10/10/10 really did me in.. during the latter sets. The pump felt like my skin would tear.

Chest:

Flat Barbell Bench press:

10 sets: 135 lbs: 10 reps each set

I was working on breathing really.. trying to consciously force air into my lower diaphram to promote a stronger pressing base.

Machine Assisted Dips:

Set 1: (-100): 12 reps
    Set 2: (-80): 10 reps
    Set 3: (-70): 8 reps

Followed by a 10 minute bike ride home.

Sweet session

~Narkissos

Rob
    495 for 3? wow man.. that's sweet!

----------------
    Saturday 4th March 2006

Legs; Chest; Triceps

Today's session was preceded by a bike ride to the gym.. approximately 10 minutes in duration.

My lower back was 'tired' from the max effort deads earlier in the week so i didn't squat today

Quads:

Leg-press:

Set 1: 120 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]
    Set 2: 210 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]
    Set 3: 300 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]
    Set 4: 390 lbs: 15 reps [warm-up] [shoulder-width stance]

Set 5: 500 lbs: 15 reps [workset] [Narrow stance: feet 12" apart]
    Set 6: 600 lbs: 15 reps [workset] [Narrow stance: feet 12" apart]
    Set 7: 700 lbs: 15 reps [workset] [Narrow stance: feet 12" apart]

Set 7.. i dunno if i can call this a personal best. It's the most reps i've ever put in at that weight... Still, usually when i think 'personal bests' i'm thinking singles.. and doubles. not 15-rep sets.

My endurance is definately increasing.

Hams:

Seated Leg-curls:

5 sets: 75 lbs: 15 reps per set

Calves:

Tri-set: Leg-press raise; Seated Raise; Standing Raise

Set 1: 300 lbs: 15 reps/ 50 lbs: 15 reps/ 90 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 2: 300 lbs: 15 reps/ 50 lbs: 15 reps/ 90 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 3: 300 lbs: 15 reps/ 50 lbs: 15 reps/ 90 lbs: 15 reps

The 1st set was doable... increasing my rep range from the usual 10/10/10 really did me in.. during the latter sets. The pump felt like my skin would tear.

Chest:

Flat Barbell Bench press:

10 sets: 135 lbs: 10 reps each set

I was working on breathing really.. trying to consciously force air into my lower diaphram to promote a stronger pressing base.

Machine Assisted Dips:

Set 1: (-100): 12 reps
    Set 2: (-80): 10 reps
    Set 3: (-70): 8 reps

Followed by a 10 minute bike ride home.

Sweet session

~Narkissos
    Lookin good.

Do you wear a bike helmet

getbig32 is offline Associate Member
    i look at this all the time to see anything i can might steal from you ...hahaha. since i have changed my workouts to more your style i have had the best workouts i have ever had! thanks for all the help
    Last edited by getbig32; 03-07-2006 at 01:08 AM.

Gra
    Gra is offline Member

Damn thats nice numbers. Narks numbers too ofcourse.

Tuesday 7th March... 4 a.m.

Pre-amble:
    Currently suffering from acute sleep deprivation. This weekend has been a rough one: long-assed shifts at work.. followed by a Sunday-Monday allnighter to get an assignment that was due at 12pm Monday finished. Toss my some flu-like symptoms in there and haphazard eating and you've got some insight into how i feel lol.

Usually i average 4-5 hours of sleep per night... which i supplement with day time naps. This weekend however, i got neither of the two. I'm still gonna train as hard as possible today tho... Wish me luck.

general warm-up: recumbant bike: 5 minutes

My training partners stood me up this morning.. guess imma have to enter the battle alone...

Back:

Deadlifts:

3 sets: bare bar: 10 reps each set: warm-up

Set 1: 135 lbs: 5 reps [warm-up]
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 5 reps [warm-up]

On these two sets, my negative was deliberate and slow... I paused in the max stretch position and exploded to the top. The point of that was to 'set the mode' for the work-set.

Each warm up set was followed by a uni-lateral hamstring stretch..held for a 10-count on each leg.

Set 3: 500 lbs: 2 reps; 315 lbs: 4 reps [work-set: dropset]

This was a GREAT set! My only prob here was that my fingers starting to go numb during the 3 reps at 500. Otherwise it was great.

Seated Low-pulley Row:

Using the V-shaped handle. I haven't done these in a while.. but i didn't feel like doing barbell rows after deadlifts today. These were a nice change. Got a nice pump here.

Set 1: 145 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 2: 200 lbs: 6 reps
    Set 3: 200 lbs: 6 reps
    Set 4: 225 lbs: 6 reps; 200 lbs: 4 reps

The machine here only goes up to 200 lbs.. so i pinned a 25 on for set number 6.

I think the beta supplements from Avant Labs (synthesize and supercarb) that i'm testing are providing a good support base. Funnily, i don't 'feel' stronger. I don't 'think' i 'feel' stronger. Heck, when i grab the weight i'm not sure i can move it... but it's been happening. Both my strength and endurance are up.

Chins:

Bodyweight... My only qualm is that i've been getting progressively weaker on my chins. Or maybe it's in my mind.. as, admittedly, i AM getting heavier after all. Still, the fact that i'm getting less reps bothers me.

5 sets: 5 reps; 5 reps; 5 reps; 5 reps; 4 reps

Shoulders:

Seated dumbbell press:

No prior warm-up...

Set 1: 80 lb dumbbells: 7 reps
    Set 2: 80 lb dumbbells: 6 reps
    Set 3: 80 lb dumbbells: 5 reps
    Set 4: 80 lb dumbbells: 5 reps

Since i was training alone i had to get the weights up to shoulder height alone. I haven't been doing that for a lil while.. rightly so, as it saps some of my pressing strength.. as illustrated above.

Had a lil discomfort on set number 4. Felt my back 'twinge'. Will be watching that over the next couple days: Can't afford the slightest injury.

Biceps:

One-arm dumbbell preacher curls:

Set 1: 25 lb dumbbell: 10 reps
    Set 2: 25 lb dumbbell: 10 reps
    Set 3: 40 lb dumbbell: 6 reps
    Set 4: 40 lb dumbbell: 6 reps
    Set 5: 25 lb dumbbell: 6 reps

At the 40 lb dumbbell i find myself 'self-spotting' on the last few reps during the set. That's the only way to make my pre-set rep-range sometimes. The negative part of each rep always unassisted. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. Over the weeks i find consistently going at that poundage/rep-range as resulted in some strength increases. So i guess that cliche was right: consistency is the key

Great session

~Narkissos

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob33
    Lookin good.

Do you wear a bike helmet
    bitch

Quote Originally Posted by getbig32
    i look at this all the time to see anything i can might steal from you ...hahaha. since i have changed my workouts to more your style i have had the best workouts i have ever had! thanks for all the help
    No prob man.. glad i could help you

L.Priest is offline Banned
    any cardio bro?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Nark I've noticed you label the sets working up to your heavy sets as warm up sets and your worksets are all out. I think I need to start this. For awhile now..I'd do like (shoulder press for example) warm up with 65s then worksets 75x8, 85x8, 95x8, 100x7 instead of like 90x8, 95x8, 100x6 or something like it looks like here. Interesting..seems obvious but I haven't trained like that in awhile.

Sorry about the delay guys... my hard-drive crashed.. I've been using a friend's pc at obscene hours in the night...pulling all-nighters (had some assignments due this week).. so haven't been posting

Due to the all-nighters.. i hadn't trained since Tuesday.

Eating went to shit.. cus when i'm in work mode i have this nasty habit of not breaking for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Priest
    any cardio bro?
    None so far... I'm trying some new supplements from AvantLabs.. so i'm going tru a short 'strength/bulk phase'

I don't usually do much in the way of cardio offseason anyway.

Nark I've noticed you label the sets working up to your heavy sets as warm up sets and your worksets are all out. I think I need to start this. For awhile now..I'd do like (shoulder press for example) warm up with 65s then worksets 75x8, 85x8, 95x8, 100x7 instead of like 90x8, 95x8, 100x6 or something like it looks like here. Interesting..seems obvious but I haven't trained like that in awhile.
    I adapted that from a powerlifter on another board.. He used to post here under the moniker 'Redmeat'.

Great guy.

Made me re-evaluate my mental perception in regard to training.

Rob
    i miss mr. meat

Friday 10th March 2006

Legs; Chest; Triceps

4:30 a.m.

Pre-amble:
    Was unable to train for a couple days.Pulled two consecutive all-nighters.Left school.. ill.. on the 3rd day: stomach problems. Probably a combination of stress and canned protein sources (to which i've become especially sensitive). Don't much feel like training heavy today.. but imma try

General Warm-up: recumbant bike: 5 minutes

Legs:

Bodyweight squats: 4 sets: 5 reps each set

Barbell squats:

These were done with a 1/4" block under my heels.. each rep done 1-2" below parallel

1 set: bare bar: 10 reps [warm-up]

Set 1: 135 lbs: 10 reps
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 10 reps
    Set 3: 315 lbs: 3 reps; 225 lbs: 5 reps

I guess my back's tired from the deads earlier this week... I felt discomfort during each rep of each set.. that's why i stopped at 3 sets...and switched to:

Unilateral leg-extensions:

3 sets: 45 lbs: 20 reps each leg.. each set

Seated Leg-curls:

Set 1: 50 lbs: 20 reps
    Set 2: 75 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 3: 100 lbs: 10 reps; 75 lbs: 5 reps; 50 lbs: 10 reps

Angled Seated Calf-raise:

New piece of equipment in the gym.. had to give that a try!

Set 1: 70 lbs: 20 reps
    Set 2: 140 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 3: 210 lbs: 15 reps (rest pause: 10 reps+ 5-count rest+ 5 reps)
    Set 4: 280 lbs: 10 reps; 140 lbs: 10 reps (dropset)
    Set 5: 140 lbs: 20 reps (rest pause: 12 reps+ 5-count rest+ 4 reps+ 5-count rest+ 4 reps)

Chest:

Incline dumbbell press:

4 warm-up sets: 30 lb dumbbells: 8 reps each set

Set 1: 100 lb dumbbells: 5 reps
    Set 2: 100 lb dumbbells: 4 reps

This felt surprisingly heavy...

Incline Barbell Bench:

3 sets: 135 lbs: 8 reps each set

Honestly couldnt' go heavier... felt like my chest would tear. That was not a pleasant feeling. I think going heavier would've brought definate injury.

Triceps:

Skull-crushers w/ E-Z curl bar

Haven't done these in years...

3 sets: 70 lbs: 10 reps; 8 reps; 6 reps

One arm Dumbbell french press:

3 sets: 25 lb dumbbells: 6 reps each arm each set

~Narkissos

Saturday 11th March 2006

Back; Shoulders; Biceps

Notes: Worked a long night shift the night before... Not feeling exactly 'energetic' lol... This session was preceded by and followed by a bike ride.Trained by myself today again.. as Big k.l.g. was over an hour late lol.

Back:

Deadlifts:

Set 1: 135 lbs: 10 reps [warm-up]
    Set 2: 135 lbs: 10 reps [warm-up]
    Set 3: 135 lbs: 10 reps [warm-up]

Set 4: 500 lbs: 1 rep [work-set]

I wasn't gonna deadlift today. My erectors were crying for a break... but i did anyway... and this was the outcome.

Seated Cable Row:

Using the 'v-handle'...

Set 1: 145 lbs: 15 reps ['warm-up']
    Set 2: 145 lbs: 15 reps ['warm-up']
    Set 3: 145 lbs: 15 reps ['warm-up']

Set 4: 225 lbs: 8 reps ['work-set']

Shoulders:

Seated Lateral raises:

Used these as a delt pre-exhaust...

3 sets: 20 lb dumbbells: 15 reps each set [strict form]

Seated dumbbell Shoulder press:

1 set: 30 lb dumbbells: 6 reps [warm-up]

Set 1: 80 lb dumbbells: 5 reps
    Set 2: 80 lb dumbbells: 5 reps
    Set 3: 80 lb dumbbells: 5 reps
    Set 4: 80 lb dumbbells: 4 reps

Set number 4 was overkill.. should've listened to my mind, which was telling me to stop at set number 3.

Hands-free Shrugs:

I did these in the new York squat machine...

Set 1: 90 lbs: 20 reps
    Set 2: 180 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 3: 270 lbs: 12 reps
    Set 4: 360 lbs: 12 reps

Biceps:

Seated alternating dumbbell curl:

Set 1: 50 lb dumbbells: 9 reps ['warm-up']
    Set 2: 50 lb dumbbells: 8 reps ['warm-up']
    Set 3: 70 lb dumbbells: 3 reps; 50 lb dumbbells: 3 reps [drop-set]

One arm Dumbbell Preacher curls:

Set 1: 30 lb dumbbell: 10 reps
    Set 2: 40 lb dumbbell: 6 reps
    Set 3: 30 lb dumbbell: 7 reps

Swallowed some 2 servings of synthesize.. and one serving of supercarb..

Then hopped on my bike and rode home... where i followed that up with 2 scoops of whey and 1 serving of supercarb.

Sweet session!

~Narkissos

My supplement log:

for those who missed it:

Avant Labs: 4 week SynetheSIZE/SuperCarb Product Review and Log

~Dr. Nark

Tuesday 14th March 2006

Legs; Chest; Triceps

General Warm-up: Recumbant Bike: 5 minutes

Quads:

Leg-press:

Set 1: 120 lbs: 15 reps (warm-up)
    Set 2: 300 lbs: 15 reps (warm-up)
    Set 3: 480 lbs: 15 reps (warm-up)

Set 4: 660 lbs: 15 reps (Personal Best)
    Set 5: 750 lbs: 15 reps (Personal Best)

I chose not to train hamstrings today because i'm deadlifting in the a.m. I didn't want to attempt a max lift with fatigued hamstrings. That is also the reason i didn't squat today.. didn't want to fatigue my lower back in lieu of tomorrow's deadlifting session.

Calves:

Seated angled Calf-raise:

Set 1: 90 lbs: 20 reps (warm-up)
    Set 2: 180 lbs: 15 reps
    Set 3: 270 lbs: 12 reps
    Set 4: 360 lbs: 8 reps; 180 lbs: 7 reps

Chest:

Incline Dumbbell Press:

3 warm-up sets: 40 lb dumbbells: 8 reps each set

Set 1: 100 lb dumbbells: 8 reps (Personal Best)
    Set 2: 110 lb dumbbells: 4 reps (3 unassisted + 1 spot: Personal Best)
    Set 3: 120 lb dumbbells: 4 reps (w/ assists)
    Set 4: 100 lb dumbbells: 6 reps (rep-out til failure)

Dips:

Set 1: bodyweight: 8 reps
    Set 2: bodyweight: 8 reps
    Set 3: bodyweight + 35 lb plate: 8 reps
    Set 4: bodyweight + 45 lb plate: 8 reps

Triceps:

Skullcrushers:

Set 1: 70 lbs: 8 reps
    Set 2: 70 lbs: 9 reps
    Set 3: 70 lbs: 6 reps

One-arm Dumbbell french press:

Set 1: 30 lb dumbbell: 6 reps each arm
    Set 2: 30 lb dumbbell: 6 reps each arm
    Set 3: 30 lb dumbbell: 6 reps each arm

GREAT session

~Narkissos

L.Priest is offline Banned
    Hey bro - how you like this program? Looks like you are making some nice gains. I've always done the 1bp a week, 6 days, but this looks interesting....what do u do on off days? Any cardio?

Hey bro - how you like this program? Looks like you are making some nice gains.
    My training Journal...

I've always done the 1bp a week, 6 days, but this looks interesting....what do u do on off days? Any cardio?
    On off days i don't do anything gym-related. My main focus at this time is school. So unless i have a contest pending i really don't have the time for cardio.. or rather i don't allocate the time for it. 'Rest' days as a student are best spent immersed in studying imo

Thanks for reading

~Nark

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Way to go Nark, being that you don't sleep, great results lol..

Thread Information