lzicc is offline Senior Member

Pain under the forearm

When doing ezbar curls, I get this pain on the underneath/outer part of my forearms, between the middle of my forearm and my elbow. Not at every workout, just some workouts. I can feel the pain in mainly my pull moves, but it get pretty bad when I am curling. What causes this and what can I do to get rid of it?

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    When doing ezbar curls, I get this pain on the underneath/outer part of my forearms, between the middle of my forearm and my elbow. Not at every workout, just some workouts. I can feel the pain in mainly my pull moves, but it get pretty bad when I am curling. What causes this and what can I do to get rid of it?
    Sounds like tendinitis setting in.I know that pain all to well.
    There are quite a few remedies to try.First would be glucosamine.
    I'd lay off preacher curls and similar for awhile as well.

~Pinnacle~

Yeah, it almost feels like the muscle is pulling away from the bone or something. I'm on a test/deca . You think deca would help at all or is that more for joint pain?

Zapp is offline Banned
    Mine has done that for years. It will go away for a while, but it always comes back. I'm having that problem now as a matter of fact.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    Yeah, it almost feels like the muscle is pulling away from the bone or something. I'm on a test/deca. You think deca would help at all or is that more for joint pain?
    How many weeks you been on deca bro?By week 5 it should help.

Flexor is offline Banned
    This problem occurs because the elbow joint is not designed to operate under high load when the wrist is in a supinated (palms facing) position. As the elbow flexes, the wrist supinates, and as the elbow extends it naturally pronates. The natural path of elbow motion is not in a straight line and a lot of stress is put on the bones of the forearm when you use a bar.

When using a bar, pressure is put on the forearms. When you use dumbells, the pressure is put onto the biceps muscle and the biceps prevent the wrist from rotating, rather than the bones!!!

That is why I don't ever do bar curls, just db curls, whether that is standing alternating or incline supinating. The main function of the biceps is to rotate the palms towards you, and you can see this because the common tendon attaches on the inner side of your forearm. It is not in the middle, it is on the inner side so that when you contract your biceps it pulls that inner side towards you, rotating your wrist.

To avoid this problem which will only get worse, quit bar curls.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-03-2006 at 04:48 AM.

This week starts the beginning of week 5, so it should be kicking in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    How many weeks you been on deca bro?By week 5 it should help.

Good explanation. That makes sense. I do some dumbell work, but I like to use the barbell since it seems that it would add mass faster than dumbells since you can do more weight. I may have to get away from the barbell though for that reason.

Like Zapp said, it comes and goes. Not consistant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    This problem occurs because the elbow joint is not designed to operate under high load when the wrist is in a supinated (palms facing) position. As the elbow flexes, the wrist supinates, and as the elbow extends it naturally pronates. The natural path of elbow motion is not in a straight line and a lot of stress is put on the bones of the forearm when you use a bar.

When using a bar, pressure is put on the forearms. When you use dumbells, the pressure is put onto the biceps muscle and the biceps prevent the wrist from rotating, rather than the bones!!!

That is why I don't ever do bar curls, just db curls, whether that is standing alternating or incline supinating. The main function of the biceps is to rotate the palms towards you, and you can see this because the common tendon attaches on the inner side of your forearm. It is not in the middle, it is on the inner side so that when you contract your biceps it pulls that inner side towards you, rotating your wrist.

To avoid this problem which will only get worse, quit bar curls.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I have horrible joint pain and pains from my elbow to my wrist so certain exercises are out of the question.

Out -->> Preacher Curls (do hammers and standing ezbar curls instead)
    Out -->> Skull Crunchers (do close grip bench instead)

I found replacing the two above exercises that I could adjust the angle of the exersice to keep things from hurting as much.

My 2 cents..

~Oldman

PS Deca will help some on the joint pain

Yeah, I quit doing skulls a while ago cause of joint pain and I really liked skulss. The preachers are next to go.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    I have horrible joint pain and pains from my elbow to my wrist so certain exercises are out of the question.

Out -->> Preacher Curls (do hammers and standing ezbar curls instead)
    Out -->> Skull Crunchers (do close grip bench instead)

I found replacing the two above exercises that I could adjust the angle of the exersice to keep things from hurting as much.

My 2 cents..

~Oldman

PS Deca will help some on the joint pain

mass junkie is offline banned
    Had the same problem as well...
    I use about 300mg of Deca E/10 days and the problem is no more

Thread Information