Thread: bench

bench

for about the past 3 weeks or so ive been arching my back on bench and i can push 3 or 4 more reps out. I won't do it until my failing rep with my back straight, but once i arch my back i can usually finish that rep and get atleast 2 more. I know cheating isn't good, but in a situation like this where im using it to get reps where i normally wouldn't. I do a 6-8 rep range on sets, but this has has been making me go 8-10 which i dont want to do. So, i guess my question is what will arching my back do to me? i've seen some big mfers arch their back at the gym for heavy presses.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    for about the past 3 weeks or so ive been arching my back on bench and i can push 3 or 4 more reps out. I won't do it until my failing rep with my back straight, but once i arch my back i can usually finish that rep and get atleast 2 more. I know cheating isn't good, but in a situation like this where im using it to get reps where i normally wouldn't. I do a 6-8 rep range on sets, but this has has been making me go 8-10 which i dont want to do. So, i guess my question is what will arching my back do to me? i've seen some big mfers arch their back at the gym for heavy presses.
    Powerlifters create a big arch because it cuts down on your range of motion and brings your lats into the movement to assist your horizontal pressing muscles. As long as you keep your butt on the bench, it is considered legal in powerlifting.

Flexor is offline Banned
    What Papi said,

And unless your goal is to lift maximum weight each time, don't arch your back. Instead concentrate the load on your pecs with the full range of motion.

yeah thats pretty much what i figured, thanks fellas. I wanted to check before i got into a habit of it.

210-6foot is offline Junior Member
    I seen some dude weighs about 190 pushing up close to 400 with completely arching is back including butt off the bench. I always that was harsh on your back. If you were to do this should you wear a brace or a belt?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by 210-6foot
    I seen some dude weighs about 190 pushing up close to 400 with completely arching is back including butt off the bench. I always that was harsh on your back. If you were to do this should you wear a brace or a belt?
    Keep the butt on the bench. A weight belt is a powerlifters tool to lift more weight. You can increase intra-abdominal pressure by pushing your abs against the belt. If you have a healthy low back, a weight belt is not needed for bodybuilding purposes.

Tattoo70 is offline Associate Member
    I read an article one time where a guy was watching his friend bench and the friend was having a hard time with growth in his chest. He told his friend to arch his back alittle and stick his chest out and it worked great. I tried it myself and have been having great pumps ever since.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Might as well just do a decline bech press if you are going to arch your back. That is all it is. Most people can bench more decline because of lat involvement and a small pec ROM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Might as well just do a decline bech press if you are going to arch your back. That is all it is. Most people can bench more decline because of lat involvement and a small pec ROM.
    Agreed.

Boss-on-the-Sauce is offline New Member
    Form is everything - DO it right and you will grow !

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Just my 2 cents...when I started lifting I used to arch my back and a guy that trained some of the locals at the gym told me to put my feet up in the air and press that way to "feel" the difference - well, once I did that and started seeing my thickness grow, I never went back to arching.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by TADOLFI
    Just my 2 cents...when I started lifting I used to arch my back and a guy that trained some of the locals at the gym told me to put my feet up in the air and press that way to "feel" the difference - well, once I did that and started seeing my thickness grow, I never went back to arching.
    Aussie Strength Coach Ian King incorporates this method of benching into his hypertrophy phases of his program designs. With the legs up in the air, your lower back automatically flattens out. Beginners, be careful. You lose stability and it is easier to lose your balance. For intermediate to advanced lifters, this will decrease the involvement of the lats and will increase the ROM of the exercise. Resistance will be reduced but the pecs will have to do more of the work.

Thread Information