TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member

Angry forearm pain on curls, need help

i have been doing barbell curls and preacher curls and whatnot for over 5 years, just recently ive been having this problem which has pretty much stopped my bicep workouts. when i take the weight up im fine, and when i lower it im fine, but as soon as i release my grip on the bar or whatever im using, i get this strong aching pain in my left forearm/bone, about two inches above the wrist. bad enough now to where i havent worked biceps for about a week. also, it only hurts when i do curls with my palms facing upwards, if i have my palms face down i can do curls fine. can somebody please give me some advice on what to do??btw im 20 in case that matters.....

flexgolf is offline Member
    i get the saaame thing. anyone have any insight whatsoever?

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    ur so cool khull, i wish i was as intellectual as u

somebody will post something worthwhile eventually

BIG R is offline Member
    Khull,

I know this pain all too well. The best way for me to explain to you what this pain is about is in relation to shin splits. If you understand what a shin split is......its tiny little fractures along the side of your shin (tibia) from heavy weight being impacted on it. Well, the Radius bone of the forearm (Radius and the Unlar) can get tiny fractures along its edges also from using heavy weight.......
    I am willing to bet that you accomplished this by doing HEAVY weighted Preacher curls and, or straight bar curls....It takes over two weeks to heal maybe more.......It will stop you in your tracks the pain is sooooooo bad. Leave it alone and get some rest on it so it can heal.

No arm workouts and sparingly on chest.

R

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    that is exactly how it is, and yes i have been heavy weight, me and friends were just loading up bar and seeing who could get up heavy weights on straight and ez bar. is there any other way to get around it then just stopping my bicep workouts? rite now im runnin a test cycle and not being able to workout my biceps is really making me mad cause that was a muscle i was trying to bring up while on my cycle......

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    I have that same problem....It comes and goes with me. After a set, Ill lower the bar to the rack and release my grip slowly, It always hurts like hell if I just release all pressure from my forearms. It helped some when I took an ibuprofen before a workout to reduce pain and swelling. Can you do any Dumbell curls without pain!

Slypknot is offline Member
    I had exactly the same thing while on cycle and lifting heavy.... I was told several things from 'similar to shin splints' to 'it's the muscle just starts screaming for blood as you're forcing it all away when lifting'.

Here's what I did so that I would not need to stop curls all together (especially while running juice).

I stopped using dumbells for palm-up curls. Instead I did hammer curls (far less pain, since this does not seem to stimulate the forearm muscle). Then I'd do hammer-curl-preachers using a rope and universal machine. Basically, I did every exercise I could (curling) without the use of my forearm - in a 'hammer' type fashion.

At the end of my arm workout I'd grab a 10lb/15lb weight and just sit on a bench curling my forearm only. Only did 1 set of this for each arm but I went until I couldn't curl the 15lb anymore, then down to 10lb...then switched arms.

This way, I could keep my forearms in shape while still loading the heavy weight on my bi's. Seemed to work very well, and oddly enough the pain went completely away. Now that I'm off cycle, I can once again do normal curling without any pain.

Hope that helps ya! I know the pain really sucks....

BIG R is offline Member
    Just chill on the Bicep workout for awhile. It is not going to kill you if you dont work them until the pain subsides. While on the juice muscles tend to get stronger at a faster rate than do tendons and ligaments (even bone). You will only delay the healing by putting more weight on the bone. Leave it alone....and if you plan on dsoing other workouts wrap it up.
    That is the 1st time I hear, "'it's the muscle just starts screaming for blood as you're forcing it all away when lifting". That theory is just ignorant, sorry.

R

chinups Guest
    If I was on a cycle I would work through it for now, I have had the same thing happen for yrs. I would continue to blow out bi's while on, but like te bros above said you will have to rest those arms for a couple wks, it is the onlything that has worked for me. I have worked through this and it never hurt it any worse then it has been for me. O yea and ice seems to help after bi workouts.

Chins

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I get the same pain, rest will help tremendously. Mine still hurt from time to time, but nothing like they used to. Follow Big R's advice on this.

Oh ok......Chins has good advice too... Just playing bro!

slecaz is offline New Member
    As you get more and more years under your belt, you will have more injuries similar to this. It's part of the process. If can eliminate the major injuries, be thankful. Hopefully this is a lifestyle for you, so taking two weeks off in a small capsule of time in your life. You'll cycle again, and have other opportunities. Don't look at each cycle as the quick fix, I have to get as big as I can now, cure all. Much better to rest two weeks than have an injury that takes you out two months.

glad its just not me

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    informative shit guys

Rastus is offline Associate Member
    I have this same problem. I'm glad this thread was here. I knew the pain felt like shin splints casue I used to have those in high school football BAD. The forearm pain only happens when I use the straight barbell. I think I'll stay off the barbell curls for a while and use DB's and cables to work the biceps.

I have my cycle ready to go, but should I wait until the pain subsides, or start and stay away from the BB curls for a while?

jman98z24 is offline Junior Member
    I have had the same problem several times in the past. The solution to my problem was to eat more. I realized that it only happened when I was cutting or not eating right. It might not solve the problem for everyone else, but it works for me.

tatty is offline Member
    Wow, I suffer from the same problem as well. I play ice hockey as well and perform slapshots often enough that my left forearm (i'm a leftshot) starts to hurt from that as well. Guess I should take it easy more often....

Thread Information