• 1 Post By Khazima
  • 2 Post By Lifted1
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 2 Post By BG

Thread: Whats your trianing style

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

Whats your trianing style

What is your training style what you respond best to is it volume, HIT or one of the strength routines

How many have you tried and which one was the worse for development for you?

Jesusbrah is offline Associate Member
    What is your training style what you respond best to is it volume, HIT or one of the strength routines:
    For me, HIT works best. 4 sets, 8-12 reps, 30-45 sec rest between sets. I train every day, 1-2 bodyparts a day. I change it up every couple of months tho.

Started working out around 6-7 years ago when i was 13-14. The boss at the gym told me to do full body workouts every day, super high volume. Never felt so shitty my entire life. Did this for 2 years, no gains! Luckily, i learned what works for me, and been gaining like a madman ever since.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Right now I'm using the Cube Method to prepare for a meet. In the last I've tried HIT, linear progression, periodization. HIT was the worst for me.
    almostgone likes this.

Flatus78 is offline Junior Member
    Have been using the PHAT training style/program by Layne Norton for a couple of months and actually getting a bit stronger(I modified it a bit though) and I am quite happy with is so far. Always nice to try something new, and I try to be open-minded

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    Been doin the westside template after coming off cycle about 2 months ago. Been treating me well so far. 1rm on squats are going up a little every week. Bench is stuck like chuck. Needs a little tweaking done somewhere.

Roughneck82 is offline Associate Member
    Been fallowing Yates blood& guts routine to the T! Been working good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck82 View Post
    Been fallowing Yates blood& guts routine to the T! Been working good so far.
    How long have you been doing this routine?

Quote Originally Posted by shaunjohn242002 View Post
    Been doin the westside template after coming off cycle about 2 months ago. Been treating me well so far. 1rm on squats are going up a little every week. Bench is stuck like chuck. Needs a little tweaking done somewhere.
    Interesting.... what are your stats?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hard and heavy, I do my own programming atm more of a bodybuilding style routine since I'm on a cut. Weight is linear for the big 3, slowly increasing intensity decreasing volume.

Then the rest is moderate rep high intensity work, short rest.
    marcus300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    How long have you been doing this routine?
    Starting 6th week, but last week was off do to having a vasectomy. Even this week has to be some what light.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I have been doing 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps using the same weight throughout. I used to train doing 4 sets increasing weight lowering reps every set, worked well when I was younger. I have been struggling with some injuries for the last while due to trying to increase my weights too quickly from a couple year layoff. It is taking quite some time to get back my strength and endurance, been about a year and a half with a few month break in the middle. Every time I have tried to train heavy I get hurt, heavy weight low reps just doesn't work for me, neither does the all out one set type work, I need volume.

Lifted1 is offline Member
    balls out HIT with massive amounts of volume has worked best for me so far. just progressively adding reps or weight to get me back in the 8~12 range. first exercise is always a compound movement and i will do around 10 sets (including warm up). then ill move on and do more compound/isolation work hitting different angles of the muscle. i put in around 1.5~2 hours 5~6 days a week.

your diary and some of the shit ive read in it has got me going 51/50...talking shit to myself while pushing though the burn on every fvcking set. thanks for the motivation brotha!
    RaginCajun and marcus300 like this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I try to change up my training every 12 weeks or so in order to avoid adaptation. I cycle twice a year and one cycle I will train HIT style and the other I will do 5x5 training allowing for more rest and more in the style of power lifting. To allow for some rest I will train at 80% or so and perform exercises that I don't usually include in my other routines. This of course is always changing but I feel I avoid overtraining. As you have stated that your body grows in spurts and many there are many others that agree (myself included ) this system seems to allow for growth and repair .
    marcus300 likes this.

Stats are: age 36- weigh around 200- guessing 15 percent bodyfat, 6 feet tall

Quote Originally Posted by shaunjohn242002
    Stats are: age 36- weigh around 200- guessing 15 percent bodyfat, 6 feet tall
    That's not really a training style.

Lol, no it isn't. Marcus asked for stats a little ways up.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunjohn242002
    Lol, no it isn't. Marcus asked for stats a little ways up.
    Ahhhhhhh, sorry.

uhit is offline Member
    Currently enjoying HIT

But previously I did a 5x5 training style and it worked wonders in giving me strength gains.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I really liked the 5x15 I did in the summer, helped cut bf and shape muscle. It is a good way to strengthen connective tissues after a long layoff.

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Please put me in a category. usually 1-2 warm up sets light then 10-12 reps 4 sets at what ever makes me barely get 10-12 reps 1-2 mins between sets for several exercises per body part. I typically do 2 body parts a day. Back/bi's-- Chest/tri's-- shoulders/Traps-- alot of times I do a set of crunches between sets. Legs done alone usually after treadmill. My legs suck big time !! Cardio 30-40 mins 3-5 a week when I'm on point. Thoughts please.

RewardingLabor is offline Associate Member
    Currently I do 1 set as fast as i possibly can, like a piston. Then I do at least one and up to 4 sets where my goal is to get 7 reps and fail during the 8th. I hate it, but I try to rest for 2 minutes between each set so I can really focus on maximal effort. I usually do supersets if the body parts I'm doing are remote enough to cut down on the amount of time I'm just sitting around. Then I finish with a set of light weight with an excruciatingly long negative and iso hold, usually only get about 4 reps.
    That program is the result of ALOT of trial and error, and represents an attempt to synthesize a number of ideas (some of which are in almost direct conflict with each other) but I haven't been working it long enough to say if it is the best for me. I do 2 muscle groups a day and I hit the gym 5 days a week. I plan to add in a second day for each muscle group that is only 1 exercise and a bit lighter, especially where I am lagging.

I spend exactly 0 minutes a week doing cardio.

I started in the old 3x10 full body style at 14, gradually becoming more sophisticated in my approach. I have tried body weight programs with little to no rest, sport specific exercises with bands for resistance, played with just about every variable from drop sets to pyramids to tempo changes, high volume low volume, and i've found that I love the burn from doing tons of volume and not resting in between sets, it really makes me feel like i've done something and get sweating and pumps so amazing that i can look down at my forearms after curls and see them double in size, but I don't think it is the best way to grow most efficiently, at least not all the time. I have also gone back and forth between a rigid focus on perfect form and really isolating each muscle and taking momentum out of the picture and the much more fun balls out just make the weight move style… still not sure which is better for me but I know that the second is way more fun to do.
    Last edited by RewardingLabor; 11-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    What is your training style what you respond best to is it volume, HIT or one of the strength routines

you look like your doing pretty good, so what is your training style and your routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck82 View Post
    Dyou look like your doing pretty good, so what is your training style and your routine?
    very short intense training session to failure and also using beyond failure techniques, ,my own version of HIT, one body part per week.
    almostgone likes this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    What is your training style what you respond best to is it volume, HIT or one of the strength routines:
    GVT works best for me. Currently I am building mass that was lost due to Primary Gonadism. I do not like working to failure, I prefer strict form and hypertrophy. I do like feeling the CNS pain the day after GVT work. It hurts worse than any failure lifting I ever performed. Also like the aspect of 99.999999% injury free workouts from GVT. As far as gains they are documented since the 60s if you do the program right. Special points of my program is I take one body part to task until I meet the predefined goal of strength and reps and then add a second to the GVT format. Just added the Delts and man let me tell you...hell in a bottle. A human's CNS could not handle starting from scratch 3x8 workouts to GVT on all body parts immediately. 6-months in and just added the second muscle.

In college was Football and Field athlete and worked with GVT guys and dropset guys and both worked just fine. The main difference in then and what I see now is lifters spend 99% in the gym and 1% on cardio or outside. Back then it was Manditory 25% cardio outside. We did circuit training which involved 50-yard sprints followed by a set of Push ups, Leg lifts, etc

In Navy was a combat person and we did gym on our own and PT every morning (500 jumping jacks, 100 x 5 pushups, 100 x 5 sit-ups, 100 x 5 leg lifts) Followed by a 20 KM run and 20 KM swim which made you really NOT want to be in the gym lol so we were doing 3x5 heavy on major muscle groups. Best shape ever bar none. Cardio + heavy weights makes you truly studly and achieving things you never could do in the gym and treadmill alone. The only easy day was yesterday as they say.

Kozmo is offline Associate Member
    Jeet kun do

Fllifter is offline Associate Member
    I prefer the shake weight, 5x a week for 20 minutes.

Iceberg is offline Member
    I crossfit 3x week, run a few miles on Sunday and lift on Saturdays

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Power Body Building changing over to Marcus' version of HIT for longevity.
    Last edited by BG; 11-23-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    almostgone and blakegains like this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    my go to training is always powerlifting because .. well who doesnt like lifting heavy? But i always mix it with something. Rather it bodybuilding style or whatever.
    At the moment im starting crossfit with 531. Going to a real crossfit gym 3 days and hitting the PL stuff at home (i have a full gym in garage) ive done it before with great progress and its fun because crossfit is great for conditioning and its always different.

papersteroidguy is offline New Member
    I prefer the push up.

blakegains is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    I really liked the 5x15 I did in the summer, helped cut bf and shape muscle. It is a good way to strengthen connective tissues after a long layoff.
    What is this 5x15 you speaketh of? Haha

coyotehunter is offline Junior Member
    I love supersets. mostly 5 lifts of 5 sets of 10 but i change it up a lot. sometimes ill do 5x4-8 going much heaver than normal but regardless I try to lift weights that put me near failure by my last rep for each set. Started adding in a drop set for my cool down or occasional forced negative depending on what im feeling. As long as I dont get lazy I seem to always be improving. been doing this style getting close to 1.5 years now. Changed up the pairing every now and then for short time but back to normal now

Thread Information