RewardingLabor is offline Associate Member

The effect of rest between sets

A few days ago I did hamstrings. After a few sets I found a weight I could do for 4 reps. So I did a set of 4 reps. Then I rested. Then did it again. I did this 8 times. Every time I got 4 reps. I could never get 5 and I could always get 4 even after 7 sets as long as I rested for at least 2 minutes. Eventually I just got bored so I deadlifted… Came back and I could still do that same weight for 4 reps.

My hamstrings are actually one of my weaker body parts, so why do they just not get tired… How many times should I repeat this process before i'm done? There's no burn like a drop set or some other short rest scheme so I honestly don't know how to judge when I'm finished. I wanted to at least get to the point where the same weight i could only get 3 reps… but it didn't like that would ever happen.

I was reading the thread about calf development and there was a comment about how much more muscular sprinters calves are than distance runners, so i think i need to try to avoid drop sets and other longer lasting periods of exertion, so i think i need to do these sets with lots of rest in between if i want bigger muscles, but I don't know how to know when i've done enough because with enough rest I can workout all day.

(reread, sorry about the rambling nature of this post, i'll try to edit it when I'm on)

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you actually squat to parallel, deadlift, stiff legged dead lift, standing weighted good mornings for (pick one) for 5 sets then do some accessory work like lying or standing curls they should be thoroughly spent. Your just not doing a compound movement to really develop them.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor View Post
    A few days ago I did hamstrings. After a few sets I found a weight I could do for 4 reps. So I did a set of 4 reps. Then I rested. Then did it again. I did this 8 times. Every time I got 4 reps. I could never get 5 and I could always get 4 even after 7 sets as long as I rested for at least 2 minutes. Eventually I just got bored so I deadlifted… Came back and I could still do that same weight for 4 reps.

My hamstrings are actually one of my weaker body parts, so why do they just not get tired… How many times should I repeat this process before i'm done? There's no burn like a drop set or some other short rest scheme so I honestly don't know how to judge when I'm finished. I wanted to at least get to the point where the same weight i could only get 3 reps… but it didn't like that would ever happen.

I was reading the thread about calf development and there was a comment about how much more muscular sprinters calves are than distance runners, so i think i need to try to avoid drop sets and other longer lasting periods of exertion, so i think i need to do these sets with lots of rest in between if i want bigger muscles, but I don't know how to know when i've done enough because with enough rest I can workout all day.

(reread, sorry about the rambling nature of this post, i'll try to edit it when I'm on)
    your hamstrings DO get tired. on the 5th rep!

it would probably be better to utilize a pyramid approach, or at least a stepped approach. Some will argue step up, others step down. either way, the theory is to pick a weight where you fail 1 set each of 15/10/5 reps. if you do this, you will have properly stimulated types 2a,b,c muscle fiber, and then you move on. You don't keep doing the same thing over and over. if you did your sets properly, then you will get a growth signal and then you move on to another routine. what you are currently doing is over training, which just tears muscle fiber/tissue more than you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    If you actually squat to parallel, deadlift, stiff legged dead lift, standing weighted good mornings for (pick one) for 5 sets then do some accessory work like lying or standing curls they should be thoroughly spent. Your just not doing a compound movement to really develop them.
    The hamstrings was just meant as an example of a problem i keep running into which is this: When I do high volume with little rest, I can feel when the muscle is done because it literally just stops working. But when I do low reps, high weight, lots of rest, its like my muscle never gets tired so its hard for me to know when I've done enough. Eventually my brain gets tired and i lose focus, so thats when i usually move on, but i'm not trying to work out my brain haha.

(I currently pulled a hip flexor at the attachment in my lower back by deadlifting too heavy before my core was really ready to support it so unfortunately all i can really do right now are hamstring curls… its been a long 6 weeks and that damn muscle still hasn't healed)

@times roman
    So you think that i've done enough even if I can still move the muscle? I don't need to break it down to the point where its completely dead and I can still grow as much as possible?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    When I train in a 4x4 or something similar and allow max rest..... I am going to total exhaustion and need that rest. It's hard to say what you are doing without actually working out with you but if you aren't spent after your first and second compound movement then you perhaps aren't lifting heavy enough or your range of motion is in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    When I train in a 4x4 or something similar and allow max rest..... I am going to total exhaustion and need that rest. It's hard to say what you are doing without actually working out with you but if you aren't spent after your first and second compound movement then you perhaps aren't lifting heavy enough or your range of motion is in question.
    Well yea I guess that's the limitations of the internet… If i can find a way to hold up a camera and make a video I'll try to do that…

Can you explain what you mean by exhaustion? When I think of exhaustion I think of falling on the floor and just lying there for a few minutes (aka me after heavy squats) but I think some people may just mean that the muscle isn't firing at max capacity anymore (aka i just did 50 pound bicep curls for a few reps and now I can still do a few more reps of 30 lbs but i can't do anymore of 50 pounds)

The only lifts that I feel genuinely exhausted after (in the first definition) doing for only a few reps with a lot of weight are squats and deadlift.

Usually I could be doing a little bit more on isolation movements like leg curls but then I feel it hitting other areas (like lower back or calves in the case of leg curls). Despite that, I don't think I can add much more weight.

If your idea of exhaustion is more like the second definition then… well i'm not even really reaching that lol. I don't know whats wrong with my body or the way I work out but if i'm given about 2-3 minutes of rest its like the muscle is completely reset.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Be specific. High reps low weight? Are we talking 10 sets of 10 at 70% your 1 rep max? You need to read up on proper high rep training. You are constantly working to add 5 lbs for the next week to make all 100 reps....you are proud to spurt off the number you are at because you know how much it hurts. You do not go to failure because the growth is from preventing the ATP reset to occur. Spend a few hours on GVT training and apply what you learn to your workout. Guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor View Post
    The hamstrings was just meant as an example of a problem i keep running into which is this: When I do high volume with little rest, I can feel when the muscle is done because it literally just stops working. But when I do low reps, high weight, lots of rest, its like my muscle never gets tired so its hard for me to know when I've done enough. Eventually my brain gets tired and i lose focus, so thats when i usually move on, but i'm not trying to work out my brain haha.

(I currently pulled a hip flexor at the attachment in my lower back by deadlifting too heavy before my core was really ready to support it so unfortunately all i can really do right now are hamstring curls… its been a long 6 weeks and that damn muscle still hasn't healed)

@times roman
    So you think that i've done enough even if I can still move the muscle? I don't need to break it down to the point where its completely dead and I can still grow as much as possible?

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    You can only achieve real failure with supersets, together with half reps will give you insane intensity. The only problem is to withstand the pain...

Search on youtube tom platz leg workout, you will see what i mean.

Pericu is offline Junior Member
    1. I could drop the rest intervals to 15 seconds, fatigue much earlier and call it a day.

2. I could raise the rest intervals to 5 minutes and never reach fatigue.

Thread Information