Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    DoubleL's Avatar
    DoubleL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    108

    Bench Press Question

    I need to be able to do 225lbs as many times as possible. My max doesn't really matter. I need this for testing in football. What should I do for a workout? Hi reps/low weight or low reps/hi weight? Last time we tested b4 this season I did it 7 times. Lifting is hard in season so i would expect me to only be able to do it about twice at this very moment. Any suggestions? My bench has always been hard to build up for some reason.

  2. #2
    calidude's Avatar
    calidude is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Posts
    1,267
    You always want to do low reps high weight. You figure the more weight you can push the easier it will be for you to lift 225.

  3. #3
    Mr. Death's Avatar
    Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by calidude
    You always want to do low reps high weight. You figure the more weight you can push the easier it will be for you to lift 225.
    Exactly. To do more reps with 225 you will just simply have to be stronger. You get stronger by going heavy.

  4. #4
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IRELAND.
    Posts
    7,772
    Ok I'll be the devils advocate here and say you need more local muscular endurance and not strenght. If I really had to do just that weight and no more, but high reps I'd train just at that weight or very slightly above it for reps and build local muscular endurance and not just strenght.

  5. #5
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    IMO........it wouldn't hurt to get your triceps and delts stronger also...since they help with the bench press.

    Why do some football programs go with how many times 225lbs can be pressed????.....the school my brother went to did this also.

  6. #6
    RoNNy THe BuLL's Avatar
    RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,968
    There's a lot of other muscles involved in the bench press, so don't neglect them. You need a strong core and back to be able to life heavy. Like mentioned before, train heavy and use forced reps. You'll be tearing up the weights in no time. I'd suggest going with a full upper body and lower body workouts rather then the typical 1 body part a day, 5 days a week.

    Hit upper body twice a week and lower body once, rest up the other days and eat clean. You'll be aight brah.

  7. #7
    scottninpo's Avatar
    scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    central nj
    Posts
    1,958
    you can build strength and muscular endurance at the same time if you do low reps heavy weight and do strip sets, i run almost every work set this way, for instance on incline, i'll do 275 for 6, strip to 225, do another 5 to six reps to failure, stip to 135, do super slow reps to failure, i'll wind up doing about 25 reps, after this, i'll do two or three negatives with 275 after a couple seconds rest

  8. #8
    cb25's Avatar
    cb25 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    AZ to MA...depends on whe
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    you can build strength and muscular endurance at the same time if you do low reps heavy weight and do strip sets, i run almost every work set this way, for instance on incline, i'll do 275 for 6, strip to 225, do another 5 to six reps to failure, stip to 135, do super slow reps to failure, i'll wind up doing about 25 reps, after this, i'll do two or three negatives with 275 after a couple seconds rest
    i like scott's advice. i would try to train a couple ways. First, definitely hit high weights, low reps - train like a powerlifter to increase overall strength. Then, hit another group of sets, using 225 or a bit heavier for higher reps to increase endurance.

    as far as why they use the 225 method, there is a formula that was concocted to determine someone's max bench press (i believe it's called the NFL formula, since it was developed for them). Basically you press 225 for as many as you can, and they take that number and calculate your max press. It's safer than maxing out, and is usually somewhat accurate (i believe)

  9. #9
    sublang's Avatar
    sublang is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Ok I'll be the devils advocate here and say you need more local muscular endurance and not strenght. If I really had to do just that weight and no more, but high reps I'd train just at that weight or very slightly above it for reps and build local muscular endurance and not just strenght.

    I agree.

  10. #10
    sublang's Avatar
    sublang is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    Why do some football programs go with how many times 225lbs can be pressed????.....the school my brother went to did this also.

    225lb. bench press for reps is one of the evaluation tests for the NFL combines. Lots of good info here: http://www.combines.com/home.asp

  11. #11
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by sublang
    225lb. bench press for reps is one of the evaluation tests for the NFL combines. Lots of good info here: http://www.combines.com/home.asp
    Thanks sublang that was an imformative site....I guess it's like stated before by cb25, it's safer than going a 1 rep max.

  12. #12
    hugeambition is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4
    I agree with them , but what I would do is keep your sets down to
    about one or two working sets using the heaviest weight possible
    for about 6 reps and use dumbells because your muscles have to
    work extra hard in order to stablize the weight doing this
    will make a barbell feal alot lighter when you have to take you test
    since the test is on a flat bench I would neglect incline
    for a while while you concentrate on your core lift also
    negetive reps on a smith machine work miricles, forced negetives
    are even better if you have a experienced spotter. but
    the dumbells have always worked better for me I hope I've
    been some help to you bro

  13. #13
    scottninpo's Avatar
    scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    central nj
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeambition
    I agree with them , but what I would do is keep your sets down to
    about one or two working sets using the heaviest weight possible
    for about 6 reps and use dumbells because your muscles have to
    work extra hard in order to stablize the weight doing this
    will make a barbell feal alot lighter when you have to take you test
    since the test is on a flat bench I would neglect incline
    for a while while you concentrate on your core lift also
    negetive reps on a smith machine work miricles, forced negetives
    are even better if you have a experienced spotter. but
    the dumbells have always worked better for me I hope I've
    been some help to you bro
    all due respect, i disagree with switching to dumbells, at least for myself, i've noticed that if you switch from one to the other, there is an adjustment period, you will eventually be stronger on barbell, but it may take a few workouts to get back, if the test is all that soon, i wouldn't be monkeying around with that, stick to barbell and you'll be alright

  14. #14
    Dude-Man's Avatar
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    5,978
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    all due respect, i disagree with switching to dumbells, at least for myself, i've noticed that if you switch from one to the other, there is an adjustment period, you will eventually be stronger on barbell, but it may take a few workouts to get back, if the test is all that soon, i wouldn't be monkeying around with that, stick to barbell and you'll be alright

    Yeah.. i find if i do barbells my bench goes down.

  15. #15
    saboudian's Avatar
    saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Michigan State University
    Posts
    1,712
    Alot of the combine tests don't make sense, for example this one.

    If I were you, I would look past this strength test and just train for max strength. Even if you did switch up your training to get a couple more reps than if you trained for max strength, the max strength will be much more useful later than those couple of extra reps.

    All the splits ppl recommended above are stupid. I would go with WSB as it is a great split and there is tons of info on it readily available to you online. If you didn't go with WSB, I'm sure there are others, but I would stick with a hardcore powerlifting split no matter what. Except I would avoid splits like MM that only focus on bench, your squat is going be the most imporant lift in regards to football.

  16. #16
    scottninpo's Avatar
    scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    central nj
    Posts
    1,958
    All the splits ppl recommended above are stupid. I would go with WSB as it is a great split and there is tons of info on it readily available to you online. If you didn't go with WSB, I'm sure there are others, but I would stick with a hardcore powerlifting split no matter what. Except I would avoid splits like MM that only focus on bench, your squat is going be the most imporant lift in regards to football.[/QUOTE]

    sorry, didn't know we are all so stupid....

  17. #17
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Alot of the combine tests don't make sense, for example this one.

    If I were you, I would look past this strength test and just train for max strength. Even if you did switch up your training to get a couple more reps than if you trained for max strength, the max strength will be much more useful later than those couple of extra reps.

    All the splits ppl recommended above are stupid. I would go with WSB as it is a great split and there is tons of info on it readily available to you online. If you didn't go with WSB, I'm sure there are others, but I would stick with a hardcore powerlifting split no matter what. Except I would avoid splits like MM that only focus on bench, your squat is going be the most imporant lift in regards to football.
    So please point out what makes all above stupid....I'm very curious to know how u come to such a conclusion.

  18. #18
    saboudian's Avatar
    saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Michigan State University
    Posts
    1,712
    Look, I'm not gonna bull**** around this case when its something serious that matters. The bottom line is that if you want to build strength, then you need to follow a powerlifting system, not just a few random tips from people.

  19. #19
    scottninpo's Avatar
    scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    central nj
    Posts
    1,958
    the routine i suggested he do was straight out of a powerlifting routine from the coach of a 10 time champ powerlifting team, i guess he's stupid, too, huh?

  20. #20
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Look, I'm not gonna bull**** around this case when its something serious that matters. The bottom line is that if you want to build strength, then you need to follow a powerlifting system, not just a few random tips from people.
    I see your point..........now try and see mine........just because people post their opinion doesn't make them stupid.....if there is some misleading info then let the mods/vets handle it.......saying others are stupid is a personal attack....it's like u tring to say that your workout is best for everyone.....u don't know others bodies and what works for them.....all are different.....I'm not gonna get in a pissin contest with ya.....I've read some of your post and u have some good info.....just post that and not the negative stuff.....be cool bro.

  21. #21
    Leggsman is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    If I were you, I would look past this strength test and just train for max strength. Even if you did switch up your training to get a couple more reps than if you trained for max strength, the max strength will be much more useful later than those couple of extra reps.

    All the splits ppl recommended above are stupid. I would go with WSB as it is a great split and there is tons of info on it readily available to you online. If you didn't go with WSB, I'm sure there are others, but I would stick with a hardcore powerlifting split no matter what. Except I would avoid splits like MM that only focus on bench, your squat is going be the most imporant lift in regards to football.
    smeg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bench Press Question-4122.jpg  

  22. #22
    motocross308's Avatar
    motocross308 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    here is a novel idea ... um work with 225 ?
    just keep workin with it , try to do it explosively !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •