JAYWHITE is offline Junior Member

Need a solid routine

Hey hows it going? I have a few questions about my workout. My goal is streagnth and size. I've been told to do heavy weight at 6 reps with 3-4 sets. My routine is as follows

DAY 1 bACK/BI's
    Day 2 Chest/tri's
    day 3 shoulders/legs
    off
    cont. day 1

Is that a good routine or should I do somthing diffrent. Also I will be using as. I also have heard to change it ex if the chest at begining of week is flat incline decline at the end of the week do decline flat incline is this correct. And last but not least should I always do 6 reps no more. Please any advice would work great. Im 210 lbs " 14% bf

znak is offline Senior Member
    Your split is fine (pretty standard.) Three to four working sets is also very standard (I always do four). The key is to put enough weight on the bar. If you are doing 6 reps, the weight should be such that you can't do seven. If you can do seven, do seven and then add weight for the next set. In this type of work out, give youself time to recover 2.5- 3 minutes. Each time number six should be a killer.

To gain mass, you have to go heavy. Stay basic- bench,military press, weighted dips, weighted pull ups, dead lift and squat.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Your split is fine (pretty standard.) Three to four working sets is also very standard (I always do four). The key is to put enough weight on the bar. If you are doing 6 reps, the weight should be such that you can't do seven. If you can do seven, do seven and then add weight for the next set. In this type of work out, give youself time to recover 2.5- 3 minutes. Each time number six should be a killer.

To gain mass, you have to go heavy. Stay basic- bench,military press, weighted dips, weighted pull ups, dead lift and squat.
    i love that response, says it all

Thanx For The Advice

Hey thank you for the replies That is pretty much what I'm doing. I guess they say you have to change your routine after every 12-16 weeks approx. So I've been switching stuff up also. Alright now to go get some diet tips. Thank you

LM1332 Guest
    yea thats what mine looks like. Tues arms shoulders traps Thrs Legs Calves Satur Chest Back. I switch to different excercises all the time i never do the same thing over unless its my Tris i just go extremly heavy on one particular push downs and then switch it to reverse push downs(so that the slab of mass would have a shape). And with this pretty **** basic routine i gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks.

Time

Quote Originally Posted by LM1332
    yea thats what mine looks like. Tues arms shoulders traps Thrs Legs Calves Satur Chest Back. I switch to different excercises all the time i never do the same thing over unless its my Tris i just go extremly heavy on one particular push downs and then switch it to reverse push downs(so that the slab of mass would have a shape). And with this pretty **** basic routine i gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks.
    WOW that sounds like a pretty good routine. Another question I forgot to mention. Is time a huge issue when working out? I mean I try to keep it about a minute between each set but I can be in the gym for about two hours. And I talked to a so called fitness expert and he said that is way too long 45 min 1 hour max to work two body parts. Am I just slacking too much or is he wrong?

Thread Information