Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    skid is offline Banned
    Originally posted by David B.
    I've had two X 1/9s, and I kept a red '74 one for about 12 years. I still miss that car.
    yep, I miss mine too ... I was young and let a little rust problem discourage me (mine was a '79) ... should have kept it 'cause the Camaro I bought to replace it was a POS ...

gust5 is offline Junior Member
    the fiat chassis is based on a fiat 850 , before they made those cars with a "shark nose" in 1970 they start to build with a "dino" nose ,
    and they did stop make then in 1970 , there was too much competition then in italy , it was designed by an swiss fellow , he was a drawner at ferrari before , by the way , i'm selling it , if i get a very good offer !!

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by gust5
    the fiat chassis is based on a fiat 850 ...
    I have a weakness for 850s. We used to have a customer who had a '66 Abarth 1000 OTS, which was pretty much just an 850 Spider with a bored and stroked engine and some suspension mods. It was a sweet little car, until he wrapped it around a tree.

--dnb

Originally posted by skid
    yep, I miss mine too ... I was young and let a little rust problem discourage me (mine was a '79) ... should have kept it 'cause the Camaro I bought to replace it was a POS ...
    "Little" rust problem? Mine practically disintegrated. I think the glue on the back of the carpet was the only thing holding the floorboard on under the driver's side footwell.

Your '79, that was the first year for the 1500cc engine, 5-speed gearbox (with the beer-tap shift knob), and big bumpers. It was also the last year for the Weber carburetor before they went to Bosch fuel injection in 1980.

What color was it? My '74 was red. Before that car, I had an ugly brown '75 X 1/9 that got smashed by a Buick, and a wonderful French Racing Blue '73 Fiat 128 SL Coupe.

--dnb

skid is offline Banned
    I was fortunate that it only rusted on the rocker panels right behind the front wheels (both sides) and a little more in the crevices below the rear window ... helped that it was a southern california car

yes, the '79 was the perfect year ... the larger and more powerful engine, 5-speed (I HATED that shift knob), and carbs (from what I hear they were SO much better than the FI, though I did find myself cleaning the jets on a regular basis) ... it was the perfect car for a 16 year old: looked fast, but was REALLY SLOW!

and MAN, was it a PITA on which to learn to drive stick! I've never since driven a car with such a touchy throttle or tricky clutch! (maybe it was just me?)

mine started life as gold with caramel brown vinyl interior, but I repainted it black and put in a grey/black interior (including spray-painting the dash and bumpers) ... I've got some pics I'll try to scan for you ... he was a BEAUTY! (though it was the LAST black car I'll ever own!)

I've always known the X1/9 to be sturdy ... how did yours fare vs the Buick?

are you still working as a mechanic? I actually bought mine from a mechanic who was selling it on behalf of his client.

the 128 is so classic! I'd love to get another Fiat as a hobby some day ... until then, my Miata will do just fine! (I don't have a pic of him yet either, but aside from the wheels, it's identical to this one)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-evogold.jpg  

...though I did find myself cleaning the jets on a regular basis) ...
    That's SOP for that Weber 32DMTRa carb. The tube that connected the two float bowls, and ran under the jets and emulsion tubes, was a dirt trap. I got real good at popping the top plate off the carb on the side of the road and blowing out its innards with a can of compressed air.

I've always known the X1/9 to be sturdy ... how did yours fare vs the Buick?
    Not well. He t-boned me on the passenger side door, the whole car was bent into the shape of a banana. If I'd had a passenger that day, they'd have had a crushed pelvis, if not worse. My only injury was a tiny pinprick on my forehead from a shard of broken glass. So I guess the car sacrificed itself to save my ass.

are you still working as a mechanic?
    Not just no, but HELL NO!!!! I won't even change my own oil any more. I paid someone else to do that engine swap on the Honda.

--dnb

bizznach is offline Associate Member
    dudes how do i post my pic???/

skid is offline Banned
    Originally posted by bizznach
    dudes how do i post my pic???/
    below the box in which you write your message, you should see a prompt titled "Attach file:" ... click the "Browse" button on the same line, find your pic file on your hard drive, select it and click "Open" - when you submit your reply, your pic should be included (these instructions work for the PC - if you're on a Mac, I think it should be similar)

if that doesn't work, PM me and I'll try to help you further

skid is offline Banned
    That's SOP for that Weber 32DMTRa carb. The tube that connected the two float bowls, and ran under the jets and emulsion tubes, was a dirt trap. I got real good at popping the top plate off the carb on the side of the road and blowing out its innards with a can of compressed air.
    yup, been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt, returned it 'cause it was too small ... the compressed air idea is a good one ... I just popped out the jets and blew them out by mouth

Not well. He t-boned me on the passenger side door, the whole car was bent into the shape of a banana ... My only injury was a tiny pinprick on my forehead from a shard of broken glass. So I guess the car sacrificed itself to save my ass.
    quite a mess ... but very lucky for you!

Not just no, but HELL NO!!!! I won't even change my own oil any more. I paid someone else to do that engine swap on the Honda.
    hahaha - you've paid your dues, bro!

Jason8702 is offline New Member
    Wife drives a Lexxus GS430, she is a Realtor
    and I drive a Toyota Tundra PU

yup, been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt, returned it 'cause it was too small ... the compressed air idea is a good one ... I just popped out the jets and blew them out by mouth
    Cleaning the jets is like treating the symptom, not the cause. The dirt gets in the jets through the bowl, gotta clean that passage below the jets.

I do not miss carburetors one little bit. Give me electronic fuel injection or give me death! <G>

--dnb

ps: The Miata is a damn nice ride.

skid is offline Banned
    Cleaning the jets is like treating the symptom, not the cause. The dirt gets in the jets through the bowl, gotta clean that passage below the jets.
    wish I had known THAT back then ... I never understood why they fouled up and frequently ... oh well!

I do not miss carburetors one little bit. Give me electronic fuel injection or give me death! <G>
    ah, c'mon ... I think early-70s Bosch mechanical FI (eg 73 Porsche 911S) is the BEST! LOL

ps: The Miata is a damn nice ride.
    Thanks! I bought him after 5 years of SUVs - was quite a change, but you'd be amazed what I can haul home from Home Depot with the top down!

(ps. it's the rarest miata color ever made - less than 700 impored to the US and Canada!)

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER

JUST IN FOR THE SUMMER...........

.............hey girls want to go for a ride...???...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-bmer.jpg  

shorty2big is offline Member
    '97 Tj Wrangler. Not anything done to it. Just some rims/tires and a sweet stereo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-jeep.jpg  

Tank21 is offline Associate Member
    I just had to post my baby. Had since i was 16. 20 now. All work done by myself. If i could have carnal relations with it, i probably would. It is a money trap. And yes, i am wearing a footballl helmet if you look real close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-ryanburnout2.jpg  

Tank21 is offline Associate Member
    Here is number two!
    In case you are wondering. It is a 67' cougar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-ryanburnout1.jpg  

i drive nuthin hahahah im a bum and underage haha

rybee10 is offline Banned
    I drive a 2002 Audi A4 twin turbo! Just put my nas is it last week!

diesel21 is offline Member
    a tacoma monster truck.. its fully equiped front to back!

FHSAA CHaMP is offline Junior Member
    Range Rover

Girlfriend drives a Bentley..yes a f*cking bentley! Her dad owns an exotic car dealership..makes me wanna cry just looking and knowing I won't ever get one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-carro.jpg  

skid is offline Banned
    Originally posted by FHSAA CHaMP
    Range Rover
    bitch!

j/k bro - I had a Range Rover a few years ago - probably my favorite car ... loved it, but was an old one ('87) and a money pit - would love to get another some day

bitch!

j/k bro - I had a Range Rover a few years ago - probably my favorite car ... loved it, but was an old one ('87) and a money pit - would love to get another some day
    lol, damn man.. u gotta get another one! i feel an immediate bond with anybody else driving a r.r. on the street lol Although, the gas does get to me sometimes.. still gotta love it!!

skid is offline Banned

lol, damn man.. u gotta get another one! i feel an immediate bond with anybody else driving a r.r. on the street lol Although, the gas does get to me sometimes.. still gotta love it!!
    that would be my dream, bro! but we got a new house instead

actually, sign me up for a yellow Defender softtop!

well, shit.. you got a house!! congrats..next comes the baby and then the van

skid is offline Banned
    well, shit.. you got a house!! congrats..next comes the baby and then the van
    LOL - no kids for a while ... gotta get our careers on track first, then maybe think about adopting in like 5 years

but the house sure is a beauty ... did I mention it was BRAND new?

oops, I think we're creeping off topic ... back to cars: I'll NEVER get a minivan - but a BMW 540 wagon would do nicely!

ahah, c'mon, the soccer mom van doesn't appeal to you?
    enjoy the house, man! I live over in an apartment in South Beach, but it's a big building with hotel rooms also, so you can just imagine all the damn tourists around here, errr.. I'm dying for total privacy!

roch is offline Member
    I drive a 1990 nissan standard cap 4x4 truck. It was sweet in colorado where I could wheel the hell out of it.

My wife drives the 1999 dodge durango due to driving our three kids around.

had a 2001 cbr f4 but had to get rid of it when I was laid off from a tech company last year. still havn't found a damn job, don't know how I got the damn gear

Roch

nuke is offline Member
    1996 Ford Exploere Eddie Bauer Edition ! Love it !
    Looking at a new Tahoe though.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    2000 Toyota Celica but will be trading it in when the new Nissan Z comes out.

Crazy Bencher is offline Junior Member
    LEXUS LX470 BLACK 2000
    LEXUS LS400 JADE BLACK 1997
    AND I JUST BOUGHT MY FINACEE A 2001 BEETLE GT

celly510 is offline Junior Member

high performance 455 rocket engine. completly restored frame up. 4 rockford fosgate 12's built into the trunk.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

NAS, eh?

Originally posted by rybee10
    I drive a 2002 Audi A4 twin turbo! Just put my nas is it last week!
    I think anyone that has nitrous would know its called NOS, not NAS. If NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide System, NAS must stand for Nitrous Anabolic Steroids ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-nos.png  

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Say hello to my next ride, coming up in spring of 2003......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-232670_7_full.jpg  

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    2000 Camaro SS
    Sports cars rule!

cooksbrut is offline Associate Member

CAR I DRIVE

2002 lincoln LS V-8

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    1999 jeep grand cherokee

tatty is offline Member
    99 acura 3.2 TL...

juicemonkey is offline Banned
    i had a 98 cobra but now i have a 2001 gt white convertable with a tan top tan leather a style bar cobra r rims h-pipe flows 373 gear pullys pro 50 shifter white face guages

Farmer is offline Member
    My ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-000_00441.jpg  

MMA Junkie is offline Junior Member
    2000 BMW 540 Black/Black with 19" HRE 543s
    Also, my all-purpose 1994 Toyota Pickup (similar to Tacoma, base model)

Used to have a 99 Yamaha R6. Maybe I'll pick up a Gixxer 750 in the near future.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information