Thread: Racism?

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member

Racism?

Ok, I hope I don't offend anyone here, if I do, PM a mod or me and he/she (I) can remove the thread.

I'm a white Italian. If someone says something to me, joking or trying to be hurtful about my ethniticy, quite frankly, I could care less. It doesn't bother me. I don't get mad, and I don't make racist comments back.

Now I grew up kinda in rural America and have had very little exposure to other races. My question is, why do some people get so angry if someone says something racist?

In the attempt not to offend anyone I will use *@#$ to substitute for offensive words. People have called me a dumb D*@#, stupid G*@@#$, a W@#$, just to name a few. And I don't care. Why do some black guys flip out if someone calls them a @#$%*. I would ask a black guy, but I think it would just be asking to get in a fight, and I don't have any close friends who are black.

I'm am asking this in all seriousness and would like thoughful explanations. Please do not PM me with threats or flame me or whatever, if you get mad reading this thread, please just PM me and I will remove it. If a Mod is reading this, and thinks this is not appropriate, just remove it, I will not complain or bitch, I guess I will just never know the answer.
    Thanks guys

mando is offline Associate Member
    in places where the majority are white the black or brown ppl are sensitive and have to protect against racism likewise , in places where white ppl are minorities , they are discriminated against ........thats jus the way things are !!

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    Being a white male, I haven't personally experienced racism directed towards me...but have definitely seen it all around me. It is something that is frustrating, and I personally find it incredibly offensive. I think it comes from insecure people. Not having the education or self importance to feel more accomplished or "better", they pick something like race to make themselves feel adequate. If you are so narrow minded, that you cannot accept other people?s differences, then at least don't spread your feeble minded views. To answer your question....people take offense to racism because it is an attack on who they are, and represents a derogatory mindset. "Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason." Abraham J. Heschel

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    well said bronco.

vegeta, it's cool that you realize you are bigger than anyone else that might be racist towards you.

i am not a racist. what i am very intolerant about and group people together in one group though is stupidity. there are stupid white people, stupid brown people, stupid black people. i see stupid people everyday and it just eats my a$$. they are usually rude, whether it be in traffice, restaurants, stores, whatever. stupid people irritate the hell out of me. kind of off subject, but i just got off the phone with a stupid person.

peace,

cp

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by broncojosh
    Being a white male, I haven't personally experienced racism directed towards me...but have definitely seen it all around me. It is something that is frustrating, and I personally find it incredibly offensive. I think it comes from insecure people. Not having the education or self importance to feel more accomplished or "better", they pick something like race to make themselves feel adequate. If you are so narrow minded, that you cannot accept other people?s differences, then at least don't spread your feeble minded views. To answer your question....people take offense to racism because it is an attack on who they are, and represents a derogatory mindset. "Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason." Abraham J. Heschel
    Excellent post Bronco, but I knew when I saw your name it would be intelligent.

I am white & gay in Miami, which gives me two chances to be discriminated against. Mostly because I am white, and the majority of people in Miami are Latino (about 62% of the 2.3 million people in Miami-Dade County are Latino, making it the largest metropolitan area in the USA to be mostly non-white).

I have been summarily dismissed or denied advancement because of my race from several jobs over the years. The U.S. Government however doesn't recognise me (a white male) as a minority, so I wasn't succesful when I tried to file suit against the University of Miami, with the EEOC in 1994 (Equal Employment Opportunity Commision).

I was however succesful 3 years ago with my long part-time employer when I filed suit over being sexually-harassed because of my sexual orientation. However, the suit was dropped after I was given a financial settlement out of court and allowed to retire with 3 years of extra senority (which gave me 25 years with the company and a more generous retirement package).

I don't want to have the thread get off track, but did want to mention that race is not the only way Americans confront discrimination in their daily lives. We should always be on the forefront to stop and demand that discrimination of any form be terminated and that freedom of choice, sexual orientation and color of skin never be used as a determining factor in friendships or employment.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    I competely agree with ya canes. Racism, sexism, and oppression of personal freedoms all spring from the same ignorance. We all should take every opportunity to enlighten the ignorant around us. I know my friends know exactly where I stand! Do all of yours...

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Racism?

Originally posted by VEGETA990
    Why do some black guys flip out if someone calls them a @#$%*.
    ......because that word was coined during slavery and is a constant reminder of the hatred and oppression their ancestors suffered because of their skin color. It is a vile, ugly word shouldn't be used by any enthnicity other than african americans. Nowadays many black people use the word when talking amongst their friends...I believe it is their way of reclaiming the word. However, I'm only guessing since I'm white.

No flame intended Vega. Just throwing in my .02.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Racisim is a way of life. It will never go away. I have been in many situations where things have turned ugly because of race. I am a white male, and I have gotten into many arguments over racism. You may want to call me a racist, however, I strand up for what I believe. Every race has ingnorent people. Those ignotrent people are the one's who ALWAYS throw the race card out when they are put into a situation with a person of another race. That is bullshit. I argue and fight with people because I am sick and tired of being called a racist...because I am a white perosn. just because I am white doesn't mean I am trying to hold the black man down...I have my own fuckin' problems to worry about. Let alone worry about holding someone else down.

I do agree that there are people who are complete dumbshit for not liking another person because of their skin color. Some of the most inspiring people I know are not white. We are all racisit in a way. A lot of people will disagree with me, but think about it. We are. I don't like some things and some peolpe and according to the definition that makes me racist. For example, I can't stand fuckin' guys who go around raping innocent women and children. So if they are black or white or mexican I don't give a shit...I don't like you ass!!! Does that make me a racist?

I do apologize for being so straight forward. But I have been around a lot of people who piss me off when this issue arises. I won't and never will discriminate. I'm not going to dislike you because of your skin color. I will dislike you if you do something to offend me or most importantly my family.

To close this, racism is not going to fade away. It will only get worse. However, when 9/11 happened there was a sapn of two weeks or so where there was no racim, no murders, no road rage, no arguments over politics, no nothing. It was just one country uniting with each other to help out one another. It's sad that it took such a tragedy to bring a country together. Goid works in mysterious ways. I do hope that we can go back to that unity we all experienced after 9/11. America is supposed to me a melting pot. But it will never be a melting pot. Unless, we get rid og the Fericans, David Dukes, Black Panthers, and white power crews. And to add racims is not just pertainging to blacks and whites. The mexicans are racist againist certain ethnicities, the asians are racist as well. Everyone doesn't like someone. I'm starting to sound very redundent here....I have to stop. I hope you all know what I am talking about. I'm not tryint to falme anyone. I respect everyone here on this board no matter what your creed is. I had to speak my opinion on this because I'm sick of this racims crap. We need to move on together and not worry about someone getting ahead of us. You live your life I will live mine...you need help, extend your hand and I will help you as much as I can.

Good post Vegta. I feel much better now!!!!

Re: Re: Racism?

Originally posted by Pete235

......because that word was coined during slavery and is a constant reminder of the hatred and oppression their ancestors suffered because of their skin color. It is a vile, ugly word shouldn't be used by any enthnicity other than african americans. Nowadays many black people use the word when talking amongst their friends...I believe it is their way of reclaiming the word. However, I'm only guessing since I'm white.

No flame intended Vega. Just throwing in my .02.
    Just as gays have reclaimed the word "queer". I agree with you 100% Diesel.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Racism?

Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    I agree with you 100% Diesel.
    Ahhhh......excuse me? Our stats may be similar, but we ARE two differen't entities

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Butch, me thinks you dislike stupid people also. You remember the redneck joke guy that said some people ought to have to wear a sign when they are stupid "here's your sign". Stupid people should have to wear a sign like that all the time. Then when they did something stupid, you would already know it is coming. When they started to talk, you would already quit listenting. That would help the other 98% of us get along with each other. just seperate the stupid people!

peace,

cp

CP...I guess I could of summed up my long ass post as saying I do not like stupid people. They are 99% of the cause of most mayham.

Originally posted by Butch
    To close this, racism is not going to fade away. It will only get worse. However, when 9/11 happened there was a sapn of two weeks or so where there was no racim, no murders, no road rage, no arguments over politics, no nothing. It was just one country uniting with each other to help out one another. It's sad that it took such a tragedy to bring a country together.
    I will give another example of how racism took a backseat in August 1992.

As most of you know I live in the Miami area, and in August 1992 a terrible Hurricane named Andrew blew through here. Afterwards with no semblance of organised society, we were left to fend for ourselves as best we could. It was literally everyman (and woman) for himself.

Mine was a mixed race neighborhood, with White, Latino, Asian and Blacks. We lived together before the storm fairly peacefully, but only superficially, maybe waving to a neighbor but most of the time not even knowing the name of the family 2 houses down from yours. I usually only spoke and associated with the Whites and Latinos, not because I was intentionally doing so, but because my next door neighbors happen to be White and Latino.

However after the storm, when there was but a desolate landscape that had once been our neighborhood, there emerged a fight for common survival that trancended race and culture. We came together because we HAD to, and guess what, we learned a lot about each other, and we learned that we are more ALIKE than DIFFERENT. Putting aside racial and cultural differences we discussed that instead of our differences our likenesses, such as our nearly identical incomes & common beliefs in religion made us together a powerful force. We no longer looked at each other with disdain and ignorance, but to this day, look at each other as with common interests politically because of our income level in our middle class fight against the rich & poor.

Race is used my many of our so-called leaders to actually keep us apart, because therein lies their successful road to power. If we cut off the Jesse Jacksons, David Dukes, Gov. Wallaces, Al Sharptons, John Ashcrofts, Pat Robertsons, Louis Farrakhans and Jerry Falwells, we'd be a society much better off, because the real fight is not with race but with money, and the middle class regardless of what race, creed, nationality and sexuality you are needs to stand up and be counted.

Just my 2¢

Re: Re: Re: Re: Racism?

Originally posted by Pete235

Ahhhh......excuse me? Our stats may be similar, but we ARE two differen't entities
    Oops , sorry dude I meant I agree 100% Pete.

Originally posted by Butch
    CP...I guess I could of summed up my long ass post as saying I do not like stupid people. They are 99% of the cause of most mayham.
    You are right with this one Butch. Just today a *STUPID* person gets in the line at the bank, and starts arguing over the smallest little points with the teller about his account. Dumba** !!! He holds up the whole line because he has to argue with her for 30 minutes instead of going to one of the bank officers to squawk at and let them handle the situation.

STUPID and RUDE, makes me pissed off and this man won 1st prize !

Originally posted by Diesel
    30 minutes? shoot canes that would have lasted 5 at the most with me. I can't stand ignorant people.

"Hey jerkoff! Why don't you shut your hole and get the F%*k outta line."
    I have a tendency to embarrass the wife sometimes.
    Man I need you around more often. Miami is FULL of rude A-Holes. I think that NY/NJ and Cuba sent their most rude people to live down here !

Well maybe 30 minutes was an exaggeration, but it was a good 15 minutes, and at least 10 other people were helped by the other tellers. I happen to get the same teller right after he was finished, and she told me he was a total D**K (didn't use that word of course) and that she apologised to me, but I said, "It isn't your fault, you have to serve him it's your job, but some people are just rude and ignorant of other people".

OK HERE WE GO ! ! !

RACISM..what has happened to me. btw im (good-bad and ugly) i used to be in the car business at a large dealership.. good= when i was selling and servicing cars some blks would only deal with me.. bad = some whts wouldnt want to deal with me selling cars..the very ugly THIS FUCKEN FREAK FORMER BLK FRIEND OF MINE (i've known for like 20 yrs) DELT WITH ME FOR 6-7 FUCKEN MONTHS LOOKING FOR A TRUCK. EVERY FUCKEN WEEK I'D HELP THE BASTARD OUT..1 DAY THAT ASS CAME IN A BOUGHT FROM A WHT GUY THINKING HE'D GET A BETTER DEAL AND HE DIDNT.. i still got half the deal because it was figured out that i was helping him for a long period of time..that was real ugly..i decided to cut him off..as you can tell it still upsets me to this day..thats reverse racsim..blks thinking they can get a better deal dealing with whts other than blks. i also did alot of phone work in this dealership...i sound somewhat wht when i talk. thats how i was raised.. plus my high school was mostly wht..i was the only blk guy that loved van halen...lol but thats another story..anyways with alot of phone work i met people after they have talken to me. so when they would come in they would ask for is MR PHATTY here??<-not real name ofcourse) so when i would say thats me some whts were like .. .err.. hmm.. so hows my car doing.. its was kinda funny to see a wht guy turn whter..but once i gained their trust and they can actually see an educated blk being honest with them i've sorta changed their opinion alittle..also too sometime with my job now some blks i see in the hood think im a sell out because im working instead of hanging out a a street corner.WRESTLING.i used to get worried when i would wrestle in some of these small hick towns and i was literally the only blk in some of these towns but now i get better bookings....DATING.. most of the girls i date are wht except this one now which is a rarity for me.. i have no preference but most blk girls where i live has this blk girl attitude. wht women in my area just seemed more outgoing and fun to be with.i would get the sell-out look from blk women when when i was out with a wht chick..i got a few looks from wht guys too but my size probaly made them think twice...the blk girl im dating now has no attitude, has a great since of humor, loves to be treat with respect and sorta looks like tyra banks...but 1 problem though__its hard KEEPING MY PIMP HAND DOWN...shes hot and i want this one to last for a long time..so ill take things slow..anyways thats the little racims i've had in my life..never had any fights because of the color of my skin. maybe my PHATT ASS helps that out...
    Last edited by MR PHATT ASS; 03-13-2002 at 03:44 PM.

Phat..today it seems that inter-racial dating is more excepted by society. However, it is not totally excepted. It seems that in the larger cities (L.A. for example) it is not looked down on so much anymore. Like I stated earlier, people, myself included, have more important things to worry about. And most importantly, if the two are happy then so be it. Everybody is titled to happiness. I don't care who you are, no one can take happiness and pride away from you. If they try then give them a swift kick in the ass!!!!!

I HEAR YA BROs.......

as i said i dont have a preference....had a buddy in high school..wht guy.. his favorite quote to me "man i dont care what color it is as long as its pink on the inside..lol..<-no offense ladies of the board..just alittle male bonding sorta speak...so i do agree it is more accepted in todays society in some parts of this country..but no matter what any blk guy out with a wht girl and they happen to run into a blk woman most blk women will have a..hmmm...sorta whats wrong with us blk ladies attitude..but thats their problem and not mine..

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    That's true and sad. From what i've seen so far here in Canada, there doesn't seem to be too much racism. Even in highschool, and especially in University, i haven't really seen anything racist, either it be comments, slogans, fights, whatever. It seems to be good here. I always see white ppl dating black ppl and everyone here is fine it it (or so it seems).

In terms of some ppl being racist, maybe they can't help it, it's just imbedded into their minds, either from childhood, or most likely, their parents were racist. It's a shame there are people like this out there. ESPECIALLY in North American, where there is no such thing as "one race". It's all about the multi-culture.

And it is also true that racism will never fully die, but hopefully it will become less and less severe as it is in someplaces today.

Thread Information