Stackt007 is offline Associate Member

Computer restarting unexpectedly ?

My computer was bought off of ebay new not refurbished and has problems when surfing internet shuts off or restarts enexpectedly .Its an unknown error from microsoft .Could it be something I downloaded maybe free adware or music or something .But I noticed it before music downloads also .

Latino~Heat is offline Junior Member
    run spybot...its free and u can download it...if its "new" I would just reload OS w/ factory install...start over fresh.
    or it maybe it shuts down after winupdates...?
    L~H

Downloading spybot as we are speaking

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    its a worm...W32...McAfee will destroy it...but spybot will probably work...

ManWhore is offline Banned
    yes it's a worm

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    oh wait...I used spysweeper...it was awesome...saved my computer actually...Im unfamiliar with the quality of spybot...I think its hard to finda free version...

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    spysweeper is alright...but microsoft makes a beta scanner that will find alot more. you can get it for free of www.download.com or whatever cnet's website is....search for microsoft adware

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I had that virus last month - McAfee or SVG will get it... Norton couldn't see it. Depending on the type - you might have to delete some parts in your registering to get it all out of there... but run McAfee on your machine in Safe Mode and see if you can find out exactly which worm it is... then do a search for removal instructions...

This is a common low risk virus right now - annoying to say the least...

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    It could be a host of things.

The most common cause for this problem is a worm. If you have a firewall activated on your computer it isn't a worm, though. If you DON'T have a firewall, get one. Make sure you check this first as it's the easiest fix. You also need to install Windows XP SP2 if you don't already have it installed. If you DO have SP2 already then it's probably not a worm as SP2 comes with a (crappy) firewall pre-installed.

Check your processor temperature. There are a lot of tools to check CPU temp. If your processor heatsink and fan were installed incorrectly your CPU could be overheating.

Your power supply could be "overloaded" and supplying your computer with an unsteady source of power which would definitely cause stability problems. Do you have a high powered video card or CPU? Or do you have a power supply that is only 300 watts?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    True that scriptfactory... good points

I have also had some random restarts from an overclock that was totally stable then just turned bad...

Well they said there was gonna be no OS unless option pay for it but when I got it ,I think it was an added bonus and came with an OS (windows XP profesional sp2) maybe not the full version ? I do have an windows xp sp1 edition .I also have Ad-Adware free version downloaded . Here is the link to the same computer on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/P4-Pentium-4-3-0...QQcmdZViewItem

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    if i wer eyou... i'd blow it away so you can rule out that as a problem. Process of elimination.

Jredwine is offline Junior Member
    As everyone has said, it could be many different things (Worm...Blaster comes to mind, spy/adware), but one other thing I have found is that the caps on the system board will leak and this will cause random reboots. This is the first thing I check now with unexpected reboots, as I have seen it many times now. If nothing else seems to work, open your case and look at the tops of the capacitors (Looks like mini cylinders). They should be clean and have nothing leaking out of them. If even one has a little leakage, this is probably your culrpit. Good Luck!

Thread Information