steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT

Reggie Bush in a little trouble

During a decorated University of Southern California football career that culminated with the Heisman Trophy, Reggie Bush often moved from Point A to Point C, blithely sidestepping Point B.

Bush could use some of that creative genius when he's interviewed by Pac-10 Conference investigators. They are eager to learn how his mother and stepfather lived for a year in a 3,000-square-foot house owned by a man who had designs on starting a sports marketing company with Bush as its featured client.

If Bush is unable to explain how his mother, stepfather and younger half-brother lived for a year in a house bought for $752,232, he needs to explain how he's unable to explain it.

Whatever his reasoning - "I told my family not to move without telling me!" - Bush must improve upon the feeble denials he offered earlier this week.

"At the end of the day," he said, not really meaning the end of the day, but the end of the investigation, which could take several months, "everybody will see we've done nothing wrong. I don't want to get into details right now."

If you've done nothing wrong, why not get into details right now? If you've done nothing wrong, why did your family pack up its belongings and load them into a moving van as soon as the story broke on yahoo.com and in the Miami Herald?

At the end of the day, all anybody saw was the unintentionally funny statement released by Bush lawyer David Cornwell.

"Reggie Bush was a full-time student at the University of Southern California and never lived in the house. As is the case with most 20-year-old students, Reggie was not aware of personal or financial arrangements relating to his parents or their house."

Having once been a 20-year-old college student myself, I can relate to not being aware of my parents' personal or financial arrangements relating to their house. Heck, I can relate to not being aware of where my wallet was most of the time.

But I'd have been aware if my parents moved. It's one of those subtle details that even 20-year-old college students are capable of picking up during a phone conversation.

"So we can expect you late Saturday night? Great! We'll leave the light in on front. Help yourself to some cold cuts in the refrigerator. Make sure the dog has some water in her bowl. Oh, and one other thing. Don't park the car in the driveway."

"Why not, mom?"

"Didn't I mention it to you? Your father and I moved into a new home last year."

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of Reggie Bush's. His now-he's-there, now-he-isn't evasiveness is reminiscent of my first childhood sports idol, Gale Sayers.

I not only awarded my Heisman Trophy vote to Bush in 2005, when he won, but also in 2004, when he finished fifth. His acceptance speech last December was a tear-jerker. When he thanked his mom and stepdad, I think I was sobbing harder than they were.

(It's weird. The older I get, the more apt I am to weep during award-presentation acceptance speeches. The last time I watched an acceptance speech without a lump in my throat was when a lifetime achievement Grammy Award was given to Bob Dylan, and I didn't cry then only because I couldn't understand a single word he said.)

In any case, Bush's words were powerful and sincere, and if he was as unaware of his family's mailing address as his lawyer insists, I'm glad he didn't undermine the sublime mood of the moment by saying: "Next time you guys move, would you please let me know? It's no fun ringing the doorbells of strangers in the middle of the night!"

Some might look at The Bush Wide House Flap as, to borrow Mike Scioscia borrowing Shakespeare, "too much ado about nothing too much." And it's true: Bush's status as the presumptive first draft choice Saturday does not change, although the joyful and triumphant spirit of the occasion figures to be undone during a tense exchange with reporters.

But if Bush's fast track to the NFL hasn't been rerouted, his legacy at USC could be damaged. The NCAA rulebook doesn't allow athletes or their families to accept benefits from prospective agents "even if that agent has indicated he or she has no interest in representing the student-athlete in the marketing of his or her athletic abilities or reputation."

With its emphasis on gender equality - every "he" must be matched with a "she," and every "his" with a "her" - deciphering the NCAA rulebook can be a challenge for any man or woman. But it's impossible to believe Bush and his family didn't understand the consequences of accepting favors from a prospective agent.

Without checks showing rent was paid at the market rate - and the market rate for that house is, minimally, about $2,500 a month - Bush could be declared retroactively ineligible, forcing the Trojans to forfeit their 12 victories last season, as well as their conference championship.

And what about the athletic department's potential culpability? If somebody at USC knew Bush's family was enjoying the kind of preferential treatment associated with high-rollers comped in Las Vegas hotels, the football dynasty at Troy could be staggered by severe penalties.

There's even a chance Bush's Heisman Trophy will be revoked. The ballot specifically stipulates the candidate must be NCAA eligible; if it's determined Bush wasn't qualified, the award could go to the runner-up, Texas quarterback Vince Young.

Young would be pleased, and his loved ones would be proud, but in the remote possibility the 2005 Heisman is re-awarded in 2006, I doubt I'll cry at the end of (that day.

Unless, of course, there's an awards presentation on another network, honoring a Grammy Lifetime Achievement winner I can understand.

BTW ---------bush just signd a multimillon dollar deal with ADIDAS

chest6 is offline Banned
    Why vince young shouldve won the heisman

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    To me that shit affects none of his raw ass pure blessed skill.

He makes teams/people look stupid WEEKLY.

Who gives a shit where his parents lived, he lived on the field.

Make the price of f*cking gas go down, then worry about this petty shit.

Sign that Adidas contract homie!

~SC~

chest6 is offline Banned
    $75 to fill up today

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    It doesn't matter what any of us think, the FBI(and soon the NCAA) will uncover the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    To me that shit affects none of his raw ass pure blessed skill.

He makes teams/people look stupid WEEKLY.

Who gives a shit where his parents lived, he lived on the field.

Make the price of f*cking gas go down, then worry about this petty shit.

Sign that Adidas contract homie!

~SC~

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    some of these star athletes from poor backgrounds are incomprehenibly stupid.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    He's got a pro contract and is making millions.

He ain't got shit to be concerned about except for learning the
    new offense.

~SC~

industywetrusty is offline Associate Member
    In the scheme fo things this doesnt even effect his carear...

Thread Information