Thread: Jury Duty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater

Jury Duty

I have it tomorrow. What can I expect? I've never had it before. At least I miss work. How long does it last? It's only the interview part tomorrow.

i dont know, but sounds shitty man haha

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    you may get lucky and they can send you home if they dont find you "fit in".. Or if you do get selected you can be there for a day or several weeks.. its all up in the air really.. good luck bro

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    i would never serve for jury duty. our judicial system is bs. they tried to get me to serve once and i had my doctor write me an excuse getting out of it.

i had a very negative experience in my past where our judicial system completely failed me and i refuse to support a system that i don't believe works. i have very legitimate cause for my reasoning that for brevity i'll refrain from getting into, but can respectfully say that our system is at least better than nothing.

Tbone1975 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    i would never serve for jury duty. our judicial system is bs. they tried to get me to serve once and i had my doctor write me an excuse getting out of it.

i had a very negative experience in my past where our judicial system completely failed me and i refuse to support a system that i don't believe works. i have very legitimate cause for my reasoning that for brevity i'll refrain from getting into, but can respectfully say that our system is at least better than nothing.

Well......why don't you move to a different country Do you think they'd give you a better opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1975
    Well......why don't you move to a different country Do you think they'd give you a better opportunity?
    never said there was anything better. just said our system is flawed. like i said, i have very legitimate reasoning.

Tbone1975 is offline Member
    never said there was anything better. just said our system is flawed. like i said, i have very legitimate reasoning.

I believe ya bro. I've read a lot of your posts and you're more than thorough LOL. I just wanted to hear what you had to say.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member

Unfortunately a jury of our "peers" means random people who don't know shit from shine. That being said, I go out of my way to try to be a suitable jurer while maintaining honesty. So that i know that no matter how crappy our system is, I know that there might be atleast 1 jurer who knows something about the law and isn't going to vote based off of personal experience or bias. I could only hope that maybe if I ever get wrongly accused that hopefully there would be 1 more who ended up on my jury. If more people were civic minded instead of seeking an out, maybe our system would be a bit more adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    Unfortunately a jury of our "peers" means random people who don't know shit from shine. That being said, I go out of my way to try to be a suitable jurer while maintaining honesty. So that i know that no matter how crappy our system is, I know that there might be atleast 1 jurer who knows something about the law and isn't going to vote based off of personal experience or bias. I could only hope that maybe if I ever get wrongly accused that hopefully there would be 1 more who ended up on my jury. If more people were civic minded instead of seeking an out, maybe our system would be a bit more adequate.
    there'd be no point in putting me on a jury. i'd find the person not guilty out of the fact that i wouldn't want to contribute to sending an innocent person to jail. so, instead of putting me on the jury, i'd tell them save themselves the time and just add a "not guilty" to the ballot.

if there was enough unquestionable, undoubtable, concrete fact-based evidence that made me know without question he'd be guilty, then there'd be no point in me being there either, cause all the other people by that point would unquestionably find him/her guilty as i would. either way, my purpose there would be pointless.

it would take far more than just people on a jury being different to make our system work. it's our police force, the investigative work done, the judges, and everything else involved with the judicial system that is flawed. there have been countless times where people would be found guilty, all to be released later when the real criminal was found. police plant evidence more than hippies plant trees. i would never want to be the one to send an innocent person to jail, and even when looking at all facts, you can't be sure which ones were and weren't tampered with.

if the police force didn't plant evidence or manipulate things to charge people with crimes, there would be far more crimes unsolved, and many jurisdictions care more about their reputations at solving crimes than the lives of innocent people. if they think you may have commited a crime, there is always the possibility they'll make the necessary "adjustments" to evidence to prove that you were the one. this is more commonly done with people with prior criminal records, but it can really happen to almost anyone.

my own personal experience about 6 years back showed me a perfect example of how someone completely innocent can get charges held against him and if you fail to have adequate money to defend yourself, you can be "held" when completely innocent. long story short, i spent 6 days in jail for false accusations made against me with absolutely no evidence behind the accusations whatsoever. luckily i had an attorney, but it took him a few days to get a court hearing to get the case tossed by completely discrediting the plaintiff by catching them in their lies. if it wasn't for the fact that i had an attorney for business reasons, i may still be in jail for crimes i didn't commit.

that summary is why i refuse to support the system. though it was only 6 days, there was no reasoning i should've been there and those 6 days were truly hell.

there'd be no point in putting me on a jury. i'd find the person not guilty out of the fact that i wouldn't want to contribute to sending an innocent person to jail. so, instead of putting me on the jury, i'd tell them save themselves the time and just add a "not guilty" to the ballot.

if there was enough unquestionable, undoubtable, concrete fact-based evidence that made me know without question he'd be guilty, then there'd be no point in me being there either, cause all the other people by that point would unquestionably find him/her guilty as i would. either way, my purpose there would be pointless.

it would take far more than just people on a jury being different to make our system work. it's our police force, the investigative work done, the judges, and everything else involved with the judicial system that is flawed. there have been countless times where people would be found guilty, all to be released later when the real criminal was found. police plant evidence more than hippies plant trees. i would never want to be the one to send an innocent person to jail, and even when looking at all facts, you can't be sure which ones were and weren't tampered with.

if the police force didn't plant evidence or manipulate things to charge people with crimes, there would be far more crimes unsolved, and many jurisdictions care more about their reputations at solving crimes than the lives of innocent people. if they think you may have commited a crime, there is always the possibility they'll make the necessary "adjustments" to evidence to prove that you were the one. this is more commonly done with people with prior criminal records, but it can really happen to almost anyone.

my own personal experience about 6 years back showed me a perfect example of how someone completely innocent can get charges held against him and if you fail to have adequate money to defend yourself, you can be "held" when completely innocent. long story short, i spent 6 days in jail for false accusations made against me with absolutely no evidence behind the accusations whatsoever. luckily i had an attorney, but it took him a few days to get a court hearing to get the case tossed by completely discrediting the plaintiff by catching them in their lies. if it wasn't for the fact that i had an attorney for business reasons, i may still be in jail for crimes i didn't commit.
    that summary is why i refuse to support the system. though it was only 6 days, there was no reasoning i should've been there and those 6 days were truly hell.
    Im sorry that happend to you bro.. Its unfortunate that this has to be the way the govnt works.. there are many stories with people who were jailed and 30 years later released.. very sad and upseting..

MAJOR25 is offline Member

it's interestng when the case is a capital murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftnainez
    you may get lucky and they can send you home if they dont find you "fit in".. Or if you do get selected you can be there for a day or several weeks.. its all up in the air really.. good luck bro
    Yea I hear it can last from a day, to a few days to a few weeks. It's all in what the case is. Hopefully I'm not a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    Yea I hear it can last from a day, to a few days to a few weeks. It's all in what the case is. Hopefully I'm not a good fit.
    good luck smak.. sure it wont be tooooo bad

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    You probably won't be so all is good

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    don't know, I always get some letters but I never go.

Quote Originally Posted by firmechicano831
    don't know, I always get some letters but I never go.
    isn't it required law to go?

I guess they didn't pick your number, but you have to send the form back in the mail or you can get fined/arrested.

yea u def should go if ur called upon

id go, and not cooperate with anyone

MAXIMA5 is offline Anabolic Member
    Good point zimmy.

I have it tomorrow. What can I expect? I've never had it before. At least I miss work. How long does it last? It's only the interview part tomorrow.

Check the back of your jury card and see if you qualify to get dismissed.

If not, go there make sure you show up because if you don't, you might get fined up to $500.00.

If your jury no. is greater then 100 then your ok. if not then u better hope your don't get picked.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I've never been, but I'd like to. It'd be interesting imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    I've never been, but I'd like to. It'd be interesting imo.

We just had one last week that lasted two weeks. They showed every thing, pics, blood stains etc.

MAXIMA5 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ascendant.

I know what you mean about flaws in the legal system. One of my friends got locked up for 4 days and had to post $3,000 bond because his wife mixed her alcohol and meds and attacked him. He left the house and went for a walk to get away from her so nothing would happen. He called 911 to let them know what was going on just to cover his ass and she came flying out of the house, grabbed the phone out of his hand, and said she was being abused. The female 911 operator refused to let him speak from that point on and sent 4 squad cars to arrest him. His face was bleeding when they got there, and she didn;t have a mark on her body, but they were forced to arrest him anyway, even though they all knew she's a psycho and all the physical evidence pointed at her. What a load of BS. Then she "changed her mind" 5 days later and they didn't even mention charging her with perjory for falsifying a police statement. A woman can literally get away with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMA5
    Ascendant.

I know what you mean about flaws in the legal system. One of my friends got locked up for 4 days and had to post $3,000 bond because his wife mixed her alcohol and meds and attacked him. He left the house and went for a walk to get away from her so nothing would happen. He called 911 to let them know what was going on just to cover his ass and she came flying out of the house, grabbed the phone out of his hand, and said she was being abused. The female 911 operator refused to let him speak from that point on and sent 4 squad cars to arrest him. His face was bleeding when they got there, and she didn;t have a mark on her body, but they were forced to arrest him anyway, even though they all knew she's a psycho and all the physical evidence pointed at her. What a load of BS. Then she "changed her mind" 5 days later and they didn't even mention charging her with perjory for falsifying a police statement. A woman can literally get away with murder.
    funny, that situation is fairly similar to mine. well, the general issue at least. with me, i broke up with the girl, she got into coke and slutting around, and saw me out at a club about a week later with another woman and pulled the "he hit me" stunt out of sheer spite.

she also had the audacity to say i stole things of hers! now, i went out with her for 4 years prior to breaking up and yet they still tried to charge me with petty larceny for having things of hers at my house! you go out with someone for that long and you don't have things of yours at each others houses?! are you joking me?! but of course when i told the cops she had stuff of mine at her house as well, of course they say they can't handle that and i'd need to file a complaint first and see what she has to say about the situation and then they could see if it would be pursuable. isn't that nice?

like you said, women can literally get away with murder. all it takes is them to say "he hit me" and without any evidence of any bodily injury, the man will still be charged with up to 2nd degree assault. only 1st degree requires actual evidence of injury. however, for 2nd and 3rd, all it takes is a womans word.

funny, that situation is fairly similar to mine. well, the general issue at least. with me, i broke up with the girl, she got into coke and slutting around, and saw me out at a club about a week later with another woman and pulled the "he hit me" stunt out of sheer spite.

she also had the audacity to say i stole things of hers! now, i went out with her for 4 years prior to breaking up and yet they still tried to charge me with petty larceny for having things of hers at my house! you go out with someone for that long and you don't have things of yours at each others houses?! are you joking me?! but of course when i told the cops she had stuff of mine at her house as well, of course they say they can't handle that and i'd need to file a complaint first and see what she has to say about the situation and then they could see if it would be pursuable. isn't that nice?

like you said, women can literally get away with murder. all it takes is them to say "he hit me" and without any evidence of any bodily injury, the man will still be charged with up to 2nd degree assault. only 1st degree requires actual evidence of injury. however, for 2nd and 3rd, all it takes is a womans word.
    That shit sucks bro

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    "the trick to say your prejiduce against all races" -Mr. Homer J. Simpson

I didn't get picked. I was there from 8:00 to 1:00 and I didn't even get on.

The defendant was up for burgarly, unlawful entry with a gun, trespassing so the case was good.

It was pretty interesting though, but very long process.
    Last edited by Smak; 05-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Mr. Testosterone is offline New Member
    [QUOTE=Smak]I didn't get picked.

Told ya. lol

Props for going though.

why didn't you get picked lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamaniac
    why didn't you get picked lol
    They asked me if I knew you. They automatically disqualified me.

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    I just got back from spending a couple hours in court. I was there with a friend who had a DUI charge. I was interested in seeing how it all was going to go down, but its slow and gets boring, so hope that you don't get stuck on some case that takes several weeks.

could be true though

Thread Information