biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member

who remembers my thread questioning.....

why we use the term "african-american" instead of black? well i was reading the newspaper yesterday and there was an article about the NHL draft, so since im a hockey fan i read it. the local team (NY Islanders, who i hate) drafted an "african american" player in the draft. the article says he will be one of 2 african american players in the league when he called up, mike grier being the other. so i start thinking to myself "i can name atleast 3 other black players, wtf are they talking about?" so i decide to read on and it says "the other black players in the league are canadian". ok ok now i guess its just semantics, but AMERICA is NOT a country. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is a country. Canada is a part of "the americas". But i guess whoever said it in my other thread ( i think carlos e) that we "americans" revert back to color and others dont is true. in this article we see the media even doing it. calling our blacks, african americans, but referring to canada's blacks as canadians........... i hope someone else reading that picked up on the hypocrisy.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    So does that make white people European American's or something?

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    we should all be called "americans" no prefix needed.

beuleux is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    using biglouie250's philosiphy yeh i spose it does, i dont spose anyone was actually confused or disturbed by the article, check this link out lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedantic

Quote Originally Posted by beuleux
    using biglouie250's philosiphy yeh i spose it does, i dont spose anyone was actually confused or disturbed by the article, check this link out lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedantic
    lol thanks. just say im a nusnace lol!! but yea maybe just saying american would be better. or say hey another guy from minnesota was drafted. i dont see the relevance to point out that he is black. maybe when society stops saying crap like this everyone will look past color.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Funny thing is that outside america, europe and Canada, when I have been there. They do not specify using a prefix. An american is american no need to distinguish whether he is a black-american or yellow-american or latino-hispanic-american or poor-american or fat-american, etc. In a sense you are Candian or French when you have the citizenship and there is no need specify what type of Frenchman or Canadian he is. Social acceptance

beuleux is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada
    Funny thing is that outside america, europe and Canada, when I have been there. They do not specify using a prefix. An american is american no need to distinguish whether he is a black-american or yellow-american or latino-hispanic-american or poor-american or fat-american, etc. In a sense you are Candian or French when you have the citizenship and there is no need specify what type of Frenchman or Canadian he is. Social acceptance
    c'mon bro "outside america, europe and Canada" who gives a shit

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    lol thanks. just say im a nusnace lol!! but yea maybe just saying american would be better. or say hey another guy from minnesota was drafted. i dont see the relevance to point out that he is black. maybe when society stops saying crap like this everyone will look past color.
    it's just a random interesting factoid. most people (including chris rock (who is african american (and also a real funny mofuka))) aren't aware that there are infact black people in minnesota. there are 12. most people don't know that.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    why we use the term "african-american" instead of black? well i was reading the newspaper yesterday and there was an article about the NHL draft, so since im a hockey fan i read it. the local team (NY Islanders, who i hate) drafted an "african american" player in the draft. the article says he will be one of 2 african american players in the league when he called up, mike grier being the other. so i start thinking to myself "i can name atleast 3 other black players, wtf are they talking about?" so i decide to read on and it says "the other black players in the league are canadian". ok ok now i guess its just semantics, but AMERICA is NOT a country. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is a country. Canada is a part of "the americas". But i guess whoever said it in my other thread ( i think carlos e) that we "americans" revert back to color and others dont is true. in this article we see the media even doing it. calling our blacks, african americans, but referring to canada's blacks as canadians........... i hope someone else reading that picked up on the hypocrisy.

The article seems to be written from a us vs them mentality.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    What he is saying is Americans of any color should just be called American.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    But i guess whoever said it in my other thread ( i think carlos e) that we "americans" revert back to color and others dont is true. in this article we see the media even doing it. calling our blacks, african americans, but referring to canada's blacks as canadians........... i hope someone else reading that picked up on the hypocrisy.

Yes, I did say it. When I travel in Europe I notice that other countries do not segregate their people by color. It's an American thing. (Black Spaniard, White Spaniard. Black German, White German.) No such thing.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

helium3 is offline Senior Member

youve hit the nail on the head!

Thread Information