CWinden is offline New Member

College, wtf am i doing with my life!

So i just graduated from a community college, more like a vo-tech kind of program. And well, it's just not what i want to do with the rest of my life. So I'm thinking about going and getting my bachelors, and I can't decide if I rather pursue a career in Personal Training or Physical Therapy. I have to enroll asap, and I just don't know what i want. Can anybody here give me some information that might push me one way or the other?? I love being in the gym so I thought personal training would be good, but then again you're not supposed to mix your hobbies with your job? But I also think a Physical therapist would be cool, i mean i've got a lot of respect for them helping out those people that need it... I don't know.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    yeh.. making a decision thats gonna effect the rest of your life is usually really easy, what i usually do.. just find a rope, a chair, and a tree. stand on the chair with the rope around you neck for a good 5 mins.. the answer comes really quick that way.

southmadejd is offline Member
    You really should just weigh all of your options. Both fields are good occupational fields. You should work at a physical therapy office and talk to the doctors there and ask them about their input on their occupation. Most of them will be very honest with you about whether or not they are happy with their jobs. Also just so you know if you want to be a physical therapist you need to go all out because that is a very competitive field. Good luck in your choice.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CWinden
    I love being in the gym so I thought personal training would be good, but then again you're not supposed to mix your hobbies with your job?
    who ever gave you that piece of info? whoever did is probably the kind of person who thinks you have to hate your job. i love my work cause it's my hobby as well, and i don't see why there'd be a problem with being able to enjoy what you do?

as far as personal training or physical therapy, initially, therapy is the better paying of the two. unless you're looking into training management or some type of sales position for a larger company, you won't make as much as most physical therapists. however, with the therapy, you're dealing with people all the time with injuries, whereas with the training, you get all kinds. personally, i couldn't be a therapist because i'm too empathic when it comes to other peoples problems.

best bet is to look at where each profession could potentially take you down the road and see which one looks more appealing. if need be, spend some time watching people in each profession and see which you like more from the looks of it. we can't make the decision for you, you need to figure it out yourself.

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    I'm with ascendand, I think you should do what you love. I guess I could see not making your hobby your work, but I don't think that applies here. If that's what you really want to do go for it. But like ascendant said, really look at how it is to do these things for a living to see if you would be happy there.

ShnouzedUp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    yeh.. making a decision thats gonna effect the rest of your life is usually really easy, what i usually do.. just find a rope, a chair, and a tree. stand on the chair with the rope around you neck for a good 5 mins.. the answer comes really quick that way.

haha good idea.. im gonna have to try that sometimes... I'm rediculously indecisive sometimes.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    do what you like bro

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    So i just graduated from a community college, more like a vo-tech kind of program. And well, it's just not what i want to do with the rest of my life. So I'm thinking about going and getting my bachelors, and I can't decide if I rather pursue a career in Personal Training or Physical Therapy. I have to enroll asap, and I just don't know what i want. Can anybody here give me some information that might push me one way or the other?? I love being in the gym so I thought personal training would be good, but then again you're not supposed to mix your hobbies with your job? But I also think a Physical therapist would be cool, i mean i've got a lot of respect for them helping out those people that need it... I don't know.

For me, there were only two main points to consider. The first, is that you have to like/love whatever profession you chose to pursue. The second, you have to make enough money to maintain the lifestyle you are either accustomed to or wish to have in the future. A lot of people will tell you its never about the money, but really lets be honest, you can do something you love to do but if you cant sustain your lifestyle with how much you're making you are not going to 'love' doing that job for much longer. I'd rather not suggest one path over the other that you've proposed, instead ill just tell you how I made my decision. I had thought about going to Med school because I read somewhere the anthestiologists were making bank, and figured I'd be set on a salary like that, I also thought about nursing school since its a quick way to get to 6 figures and takes 1/4 of the time that med school does. Finally, my chosen career path of becoming a lawyer. I have a passion for politics and the law, however I knew I'd be in school almost as much time as a doctor would be and would not make half as much coming out of law school (maybe 80-120k). Anyway, I've decided to stick with it as I felt its something I would be able to wake up every single day and look forward to, has the potential to work in other fields, and the potential money to be made is quite high even higher than doctors in some cases.

Anyway, dont be content with settling for something you wont be happy with, because the next 60 years of your life is a long time to be kicking yourself in the ass over not going into what you wish you would have done. It sucks, but we only get ONE chance on this earth, so we might as well pursue something that will truely make us happy...

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    I am an older guy and from experience I would say continue school. You have the rest of your life to do what you want. But, the more education you have the more it will benefit you in the future. No matter what you want to do in the future having options always adds comfort throughout your life. Good luck!

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    physical therapy is a good field. you know you can do both things to maximize your income which is what id suggest you do. PT's at nursing homes make between 30-35 bucks an hour, plus benefits. you can thank our social welfare money for that. assume a 36 hour work week @ 30 bucks an hour, thats 1080 a week and now work 12 hours as a PT and say you clear another 400 bucks. thats not a bad work week my friend. The field of physical therapy is growing because people are living longer in nursing homes, dont just think of physical therapy as aiding athletes back from injuries although that is a common thing people do. also there is room for advancement. you could move up to Physical Therapy Coordinator, or supervisor and make 35+ an hour.

the key i think here is that being a physical therapist will open more doors for you. i would think it would also lend more credibility to you then just a personal trainer certificate whcih you can get by taking an 8 hour course. It will most likely help you get a job at a gym part time as well, as you would be more qualified for the position.
    Last edited by biglouie250; 07-06-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Des
    I am an older guy and from experience I would say continue school. You have the rest of your life to do what you want. But, the more education you have the more it will benefit you in the future. No matter what you want to do in the future having options always adds comfort throughout your life. Good luck!
    well as far as education, for the most part, i completely agree. however, i never went to college for personal training as honestly, it's a waste of time for the most part IMO. i got my training certification and immediately went onto hands-on experience in gyms, which is what most gyms look for. doesn't matter how much you learn, if you can't apply it in a practical manner for clients, the knowledge is useless.

now, i'm not saying that going to school for anything to do with personal training is a waste of time, but it all depends on the profession you're looking to pursue with it. if you're just looking to do the personal training and work your way up from there, a certification is all you need to get you started. if you walk into a gym and "joe billy-bob" does, and he has 3 years of college in physiology, kinesiology, or the like, and you spent the past 3 years actually doing personal training, 99% of the gyms out there will choose the experience over the education in a heartbeat. i know as i've worked in about 8 different gyms and i've seen how it works.

as far as the physical therapy, that of course you need the college for. however as i already stated, it's up to you which one seems more appealing. both have a lot of potential and many different ways you can pursue them.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    physical therapy is a good field. you know you can do both things to maximize your income which is what id suggest you do. PT's at nursing homes make between 30-35 bucks an hour, plus benefits. you can thank our social welfare money for that. assume a 36 hour work week @ 30 bucks an hour, thats 1080 a week and now work 12 hours as a PT and say you clear another 400 bucks. thats not a bad work week my friend. The field of physical therapy is growing because people are living longer in nursing homes, dont just think of physical therapy as aiding athletes back from injuries although that is a common thing people do. also there is room for advancement. you could move up to Physical Therapy Coordinator, or supervisor and make 35+ an hour.

the key i think here is that being a physical therapist will open more doors for you. i would think it would also lend more credibility to you then just a personal trainer certificate whcih you can get by taking an 8 hour course. It will most likely help you get a job at a gym part time as well, as you would be more qualified for the position.
    hey bro, you sure physical therapists only make $30-35/hr? i was making more than that in NY as a personal trainer. i always though therapists made more than that? guess it depends on where you work. i'm not sure how the pay is yet for personal training down here in florida as i'm just getting back into it since i've moved, but i couldn't imagine it being much less.

as far as physical therapy opening more doors, i have to disagree on that one. it's just a different direction. with personal training, the better pay usually lies in woking sales (if the gym has the trainers and trainer salespeople as two seperate positions), working up to management, opening your own studio, at home personal training, online training, conducting training seminars, and that's just off the top of my head. there are tons of directions you can potentially take both positions, so i don't think either one opens more doors for you.

as far as a physical therapist getting a position over a regular trainer, i would imagine that yes, they most likely would in most cases. however, as i've said before, the therapist requires schooling whereas the trainer only needs a cert, so potentially as a trainer you can have the edge in experience and get hired over a therapist simply cause of that. or, you may simply show that you have more knowledge in your interview than the therapist. though many professions do require a degree and you are judged primarily on that degree (at least initially), personal training does not tend to be one of those professions.

additionally, lets not forget how much more it will cost you to become a physical therapist. you have to consider if it's worth the extra money?

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    I am not trying to change your mind from what you really want to do. When you think about it, I am sure you could be quite successful rather you go to college or not. And in turn, it could be possible to have difficulties and struggle rather you go to college or not. Therefore college in its self is not the answer, you are. But, with an education you are better equiped to face the world simply because you are facing hurdles with a little more experience. You asked me the question and I gave you my opinion. Although I have heard your arguments, I would still push you towards a university. Good Luck!

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i kinda went through that
    i couldnt make up mind
    started out as a personal trainer
    joined airfroce
    thought i wanted to be a phys therapist

now im going to be A) something in pharmacy
    B) an endocrinologist
    or hell i dunno but i do have a BS in Medical/Molecular Bio
    w/ minor in physics and chem

CWinden is offline New Member
    Well, paying for college isn't that big of a deal because I get to go for free (no mom dad and the grandparents arent paying, my dad works there so its free tuition). I like the thought of being a phsyical therapist, you know, it's kind of a medical job, and I can gauranteed be in it forever. I think personal training would be a lot more fun because well, you aren't toting an 93 year old woman around all day trying to make her 3 month old new hip with her 93 year old body. I'm just kind of afraid of becomming a personal trainer, because it's like you are selling yourself as a product. I am finally getting my body to a good selling point, but there is also 150,000 other guys out there with a better body then me. I know that a good body isn't what makes the trainer, but I was talking to a guy that used to do it and he said it sure doesn't hurt to have a good body. So I guess if I could do either it would be personal training, but I'm just afraid that I won't succeed in it, and my dad told me he doesn't want me to do it because he doesn't want me to live the same poor lifestyle mom and him lived. Because, i know you can be a personal trainer that makes 20,000 a year or 120,000 a year, but what can you do to be the one that makes 120??

Natty99 is offline Member
    Personal trainiers don't make squat (excuse the pun) $

My GF is going into it because she like it but she doesn't understand that she isn't going to make any money

Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    hey bro, you sure physical therapists only make $30-35/hr? i was making more than that in NY as a personal trainer. i always though therapists made more than that? guess it depends on where you work. i'm not sure how the pay is yet for personal training down here in florida as i'm just getting back into it since i've moved, but i couldn't imagine it being much less.

as far as physical therapy opening more doors, i have to disagree on that one. it's just a different direction. with personal training, the better pay usually lies in woking sales (if the gym has the trainers and trainer salespeople as two seperate positions), working up to management, opening your own studio, at home personal training, online training, conducting training seminars, and that's just off the top of my head. there are tons of directions you can potentially take both positions, so i don't think either one opens more doors for you.

as far as a physical therapist getting a position over a regular trainer, i would imagine that yes, they most likely would in most cases. however, as i've said before, the therapist requires schooling whereas the trainer only needs a cert, so potentially as a trainer you can have the edge in experience and get hired over a therapist simply cause of that. or, you may simply show that you have more knowledge in your interview than the therapist. though many professions do require a degree and you are judged primarily on that degree (at least initially), personal training does not tend to be one of those professions.

additionally, lets not forget how much more it will cost you to become a physical therapist. you have to consider if it's worth the extra money?
    you know i do audits of a lot of nursing facilities so i just pulled a few PT invoices, and yes your right they make upwards of 50 an hour which is damn good!! the 35 an hour i must have confused with COTA's or OT's. as to your second point i think that if you had both a Phys Ther degree/certification as well as a Pers Trainer certification it will open more doors because you have a lot of lattitude. Like if he worked FT as a pers trainer now, he'd have to build a client base which can take months. now if he worked PT as a trainer and worked FT as a therapist he can build his client base while still collecting a nice salary. He can make the personal training part of his work life as big or small as he wants to tailor to his lifestyle.

Because, i know you can be a personal trainer that makes 20,000 a year or 120,000 a year, but what can you do to be the one that makes 120??

see swolecat lol!! i imagine you have to work your tail off, be a great salesmen and have one heck of a bod or reputation to command that sort of salary.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    see swolecat lol!! i imagine you have to work your tail off, be a great salesmen and have one heck of a bod or reputation to command that sort of salary.
    yeah i dont have that suave sexy persona so thats why i just knock off old ladies and take their purses.. SO MUCH easier

Thread Information