Why in the hell does this sport have to cost so much?

Guys, I picked a bad time to do a show. I should have never even prepared for this one. My wife was out of work for awhile, and we were behind on bills. We started to catch up, but we're still behind a little. I'm trying to keep it from ****ing up my credit. We need to get in a house, bad. The rent and utilities where I live is killing us both, we could live in a nice house alot cheaper than this place. Anyways, I'm not even running that much gear this time due to financial shit, but the groceries always kill your wallet. I eat all my chicken fresh and the only place I can afford to get it is at Sams or Walmart, but even then it's still $70/wk just for chicken, not counting all the tuna, eggs(I eat like 30/day) veggies, potato's etc etc. The tanning bed, the supplements, the gym fees, the groceries, the hotel, the show entry fee, the gas $, it all adds up to a ridiculous amount, if I really broke down what I've spent preparing for a some of these shows I'd probably get a gun and go off myself. But now it's different, I am married and have a family to take care of. I can't have my family go w/out so I can look good and compete, and it's starting to happen. Even if I get the overall look at what I had to do to get it. It's too bad this sport costs so much. I'm sure some college kids will reply to this like "man, I spend like $30 a week on food and I can do it" no you cant, not at a certain level.

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah...i dont even want to know how much i spend on all this shit...and i dont even compete

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Hey Stacked.. I know you have been going through alot of b.s. and stuff. But it will all be worth it when u got the firts place trophy in your hand....

U have a pm.... btw...

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I know how you feel mate. In UK we get charged sooo much for good food and supps. If i was to eat processed shite I could go to iceland and get like a weeks worth of food for £10 as its always on offer. But if you like to eat chicken ect it costs huge ammounts. no wonder half the country is fat. It costs too damn much to be healthy!!!

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    I know how you feel mate. In UK we get charged sooo much for good food and supps. If i was to eat processed shite I could go to iceland and get like a weeks worth of food for £10 as its always on offer. But if you like to eat chicken ect it costs huge ammounts. no wonder half the country is fat. It costs too damn much to be healthy!!!
    I wander why that is? Maybe cause we have huge chicken plants over here? exchange rate?

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Food kills me and I don't compete..It's so much cheaper to eat like shit..

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    I think its the pound.. like u said that currency is through the roof.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    I think its the pound.. like u said that currency is through the roof.
    Damn good economy

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, you have to put your family first. Unfortunately BB does not pay the bills, so it has to become a secondary goal.

See if you wife can get any kind of job, so that she can help out with the bills somewhat. Even if it's just a crappy job for miminal wage, it's better than nothing.

I know exactly how you feel though. My fiance had a nervous breakdown, and is out of work for a month. So making bills and rent is going to be alittle tough. Luckily I'm cutting, so I don't need to spend that much on food, but it's still afew hundred each month.

I'm trying to get her to do anything to earn alittle extra money, babysitting for afew hours, or a part time job in the meantime, but she can't.

So it pushes back our saving for our wedding, and my next cycle for awhile.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    It's cheaper to eat junk food and Mcdonalds everyday, than to eat healthy food for a comp.

oh well, no turning back now, it's 3 weeks away and I didnt come this far and drop 40 lbs for nothing, we're gonna win this thing. I may have to drive 4hrs up there and drive 4 hrs home the same day due to hotel costs, but if thats what I have to do to get on stage then so be it. After this the competing is def. on hold for awhile. I think I'm going to get into powerlifting for awhile, something that does not suck all my money away nor my time. It'll be a way to stay in the gym, work a second job, and hopefully stay big.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    stayinstacked.........i had a guy ask me once....what would be your ultimate job.........my answer was...... a fireman that didnt have to work a second job.
    hang in there bro! good luck

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    double post....sorry

chest6 is offline Banned
    yeah...chicken kills me too..I need to find a costco around here..

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think bills kill be all the time.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Well I am that college kid you mentioned in your post

I get around allright on around 950$ month. 500 or so after bills are payed. With that I pay food(sweden has some of the highest food prices in the world, only beaten by norway I think), supplements, juice, course litterature, gym membership ect.

I could not possibly afford a competition though, even if I wanted to compete so I feel your pain. Damn just the tanning shit would ruin me.

I have no idea how you can eat for 30$ day though??
    What kind of food do you eat in a day bro?

small tricks are to for instance to buy the whey directly from diary companies since the supplement companies are robbers. Sure it doesnt have any flavor or other addatives but a little cocoa and sweetener and its just as good as the expensive shit, both the taste and content.

Real realy cheap tuna can be found in some stores. It taste totaly gross, to ****ing disgusting to eat, god knows what all those unidentifiable hard chunks and bits are, but its easy to get down in tuna shakes.

Get to know someone that works in a resturant, they can usualy get ahold of quality stuff for the same price as the resturant pays. I enjoyed alot of cheap roast beef that way

Lots of ways to cut down cost but is a ****ing pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    small tricks are to for instance to buy the whey directly from diary companies since the supplement companies are robbers. Sure it doesnt have any flavor or other addatives but a little cocoa and sweetener and its just as good as the expensive shit, both the taste and content.

Real realy cheap tuna can be found in some stores. It taste totaly gross, to ****ing disgusting to eat, god knows what all those unidentifiable hard chunks and bits are, but its easy to get down in tuna shakes.

Get to know someone that works in a resturant, they can usualy get ahold of quality stuff for the same price as the resturant pays. I enjoyed alot of cheap roast beef that way

Lots of ways to cut down cost but is a ****ing pain in the ass.

I've tried to cut as many costs as possible, like buying things in bulk, etc, there just comes a point where there is no way around it, you want the body your going to pay to get it. Regular tuna is no longer adequate enough, you need albacore(2-3x more per can) the chicken needs to be fresh, your buying 2 lbs of veggies every day, natural pb costs more than regular, etc. I hear what your saying though, but those tactics work much better when I'm not preparing for a show. It's cheap as hell for me to bulk, just eat a shitload of pasta and rice, and throw in more ground beef instead of chicken, which is much cheaper anyways.

yeah I cant imagine how much harsher you must be with food choises when its contest time

become a powerlifter instead

Thread Information