Thread: Home Renovation

Sage is offline Anabolic Member

Home Renovation

i assume there are message boards and forums for almost anything now a days. Is there one that deals with remodeling your house and some ideas for design and modern architecture .

I bough this f'cking huge old house in down town area all made out of brick/granite and is over eighty years old. I had to get it because the house has allot of potential and great location right in the heart of down town

i am not into old school and all the architectural BS from the past, but rather want to modernize it and make a cool place to chill. I'll be removing and replacing absolutely everything there along with braking a few walls to expand the rooms even more. It looks like a small castle.

i think about $100,000K for renovation should be sufficient since i'll be installing air condition unit and wire it all over the house in every room which is a costly process per estimates i received. I'll also be doing heated floors as well.

any suggestions where to start looking for ideas?

Beefyman is offline Banned
    i hope you are rich bro... i do flooring and heated floors COST a shit loads of money and also you will be paying the installer about as much or more per sq foot then the floor its self... people see that i install floors and think ohhh hes a poor guy but they got no idea how much we make i get paid a good chunk of change just from the company and i do installs and if i were you and the house looks nice i would go with sand and finish hardwood flooring costs the most but is very very nice and is very very rich looking (i have it all over my house and love it) then hmmm i would go with cherry wood cabinets and solid granite countertops and if you want a godly look go with big greek style pillars and some nice stainless steel utilities will look great as well and also this is a must if you are going to go for a fancy look... crown moldings and not the cheap shit ether the big thick wood ones and some thick cherry designs on the wall with tile in the middle on angle tilts (diamond shape) ahh i could go on forever...

if you are going to spend 100k you can do some good stuff

wow bro, these are really good ideas, but looks like all are coming from experience. do you by any chance know some good online places to check out for stuff like that. I need to get allot of visuals in order to create a theme for the house and how to pursue further with such a project. The old houses have a carpet, but ones you pull the carpet off, there is hard wood floor there as well, but its not in good shape and needs to be replaced

entire kitchen/toilet bowls/sinks/tubs all be be replaced with modern designs. I was taken by the high ceilings the place has, makes you feel like king type of thing. The house is absolutely crazy just need allot of work, but i knew what i was getting into. The overall foundation is great.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Not to burst any bubbles but 100K?

$100K in a renovation does not go very far but that can depend on what area of the country you are in. Kitchens alone (Cssabinets, fixtures, granite, and appliances) will run you at a minimum 20K unless you are going with really cheap stuff. Removing walls often requires the installation of supporting beams like lam beams or steel and they are not cheap. Also, with older houses, you'll find that you have to reroute electrics everywhere and that is incredibly time consuming.

How many sq feet are we talking? I do renovations and spec in DC and a 3500 squarefoot complete gut and remodel runs close to $300K (and I do ALOT of the work myself). Good luck and I'd recommend doing some serious research into costs/timing/permitting, etc.. first.

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler13
    $100K in a renovation does not go very far but that can depend on what area of the country you are in. Kitchens alone (Cssabinets, fixtures, granite, and appliances) will run you at a minimum 20K unless you are going with really cheap stuff. Removing walls often requires the installation of supporting beams like lam beams or steel and they are not cheap. Also, with older houses, you'll find that you have to reroute electrics everywhere and that is incredibly time consuming.

How many sq feet are we talking? I do renovations and spec in DC and a 3500 squarefoot complete gut and remodel runs close to $300K (and I do ALOT of the work myself). Good luck and I'd recommend doing some serious research into costs/timing/permitting, etc.. first.
    are you in Washington DC, i live in Maryland so its not far at all about 40 min drive. I am at work at the moment, but can post the specs tomorrow. the bank only approved me for $100K so i may either run with that budget or hold out until more cash will be availible by next year. $300K is way too much since thats even beyound what i paid for that place. I have not done any estimates yet since i just finalized the deal four days ago, but i expect not to use up all of the $100K either.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Not saying you can't do alot....

I'm not trying to discourage you at all but I've alot of experience in renovation and construction and it always costs more than you think. I used to do most of the work myself and still do to some degree but sometimes its cheaper to hire good subs. Therein lies the problem as, seriously, about 90% of the subs I've used suck. (Yes, I'm very picky but if you are doing something, it's best to do it right IMO.

Let me know if I can help you with your strategy.

Grappler13

pumpd4lif is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefyman
    i hope you are rich bro... i do flooring and heated floors COST a shit loads of money and also you will be paying the installer about as much or more per sq foot then the floor its self... people see that i install floors and think ohhh hes a poor guy but they got no idea how much we make i get paid a good chunk of change just from the company and i do installs and if i were you and the house looks nice i would go with sand and finish hardwood flooring costs the most but is very very nice and is very very rich looking (i have it all over my house and love it) then hmmm i would go with cherry wood cabinets and solid granite countertops and if you want a godly look go with big greek style pillars and some nice stainless steel utilities will look great as well and also this is a must if you are going to go for a fancy look... crown moldings and not the cheap shit ether the big thick wood ones and some thick cherry designs on the wall with tile in the middle on angle tilts (diamond shape) ahh i could go on forever...

if you are going to spend 100k you can do some good stuff
    i must concur for i also instal floors of all kinds and wow do i do well for myself on jobs.

Beefyman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpd4lif
    i must concur for i also instal floors of all kinds and wow do i do well for myself on jobs.
    yep... its great money esp when you don't have to do more then order a few guy around good to see someone in the same field

Thread Information