I was debating the whole 'dont stereotype steroids ' since he is on the side that steroids cause cancer, liver disease, etc etc... he then threw this article at me... and kinda stumped me.... the best i could come up with is that sure, that article talks about, 10 guys or so that has had issues, but over thousands of guys use...
discuss and help me win this debate!

By Todd Ganci
When I was cycling, I used to humor myself by asking "If steroids are so bad, where are the bodies?" At that time I didn't hear stories about too many people that had serious health problems or any that died from steroids. It turns out the problems take years to manifest and many die prematurely, in their 30's, 40's or 50's instead of their 60's, 70's or 80's. The following are but a few of the many:

* Sonny Schmidt died at 46
* Scott Klein died at 30
* Ron Teufel died at 45
* Dan Duchaine died at 48
* Mohammed Benaziza died at 28
* Andreas Munzer died at 30
* Mike Mentzer died at 49
* Ray Mentzer died at 47
* Don Ross died at 55
* Dr. John Tristany died
* Don Peters died
* Ray Raridon died

Steroid Health Risks
* Dennis Newman (leukemia)
* Orville Burke (coma)
* Don Long (kidney failure)
* Tom Prince (kidney failure)
* Flex Wheeler (kidney transplant)
* Tom Prince (kidney failure)
* Ed Corney (stroke)
* Boyer Coe (heart)
* Danny Padilla (heart)
* Pete Grymkowski (heart)
* Mike Martarazzo 39 (triple bypass heart surgery)

The average US citizen lives to be 77.2 years old. The average citizen doesn't eat right or exercise enough, that's why the obesity rate is at the highest it's ever been. Athletes, especially bodybuilders eat great and exercise a lot. Why are so many dying 20, 30 or even 40 years sooner than the average couch potato?

Or you could look up any one of these, some good reads.

Allen, B., "Steroid-using Athletes and Liver Function," MuscleMag International (Vol.191, May, 1998) p. 129.

Antonio, J., Flex, Vol. 16, No. 3 (May 1998), p. 240, citing 17 European Heart Journal (1996), pp. 1576-83.

Bahrke, M.S., Wright, J.E., O'Connor, J.S., et al., "Selected Psychological Characteristics of Anabolic -androgenic Steroid Users, 323 N Engl J Med 12 (1990), pp. 834-835.

Bahrke, M.S., Wright, J.E., Strauss, R.H., Catlin D.H., "Psychological Moods and Subjectively Perceived Behavioral and Somatic Changes Accompanying Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use ," 20 Am J Sports Med (1992), p. 717.

Bhasin, S., Storer, T.W., Berman N., et al., "The Effects of Supraphysiologic Doses of Testosterone on Muscle Size and Strength in Normal Men," 335 N Engl J Med (July 4, 1996), pp. 1-7.

Boccon, G.L., Dauge, M.C., et al., "Prostate Cancer in a 75-year-old Man after Four Decades of Testosterone Androgen Deprivation," 20 Eur Urol 1 (1991), pp. 81-88.

Brower, K., "Anabolic Steroids : Potential for Physical and Psychological Dependence," C.E. Yesalis (Ed.), Anabolic Steroids in Sports and Exercise (Champaign, IL; Human Kinetics, 1993), pp. 193-213.

Cooper, C.S., et al., "Effect of Exogenous Testosterone on Prostate Volume, Serum and Semen Prostate Specific Antigen Levels in Healthy Young Men," 159 J of Urology, 2 (1998), pp. 441-43.

Di Pasquale, M.G., Anabolic Steroid Side Effects: Facts, Fiction and Treatment (M.G.D. Press; Warkworth, Ontario, 1990).

Di Pasquale, M.G., "Does the Use of Anabolic Steroids Increase Athletic Injuries?" 1 Drugs in Sports 3 (August, 1992).

Di Pasquale, M.G., "Black Market Drugs," 1 Anabolic Research Review 1 (1995).

Duchaine, D., Underground Steroid Handbook II (HLR Technical Books; Venice CA, 1989).

Friedl, K.E., "Reappraisal of the health risks associated with the use of high doses of oral and injectable androgenic steroids," in G.C. Lin & L. Erinoff (Eds.), Anabolic Steroid Abuse (Washington, D.C.; U.S. Government Printing Office, 1990), pp. 142-177.

Friedl, K.E., "Effects of Anabolic Steroids on Physical Health," in C.E. Yesalis (Ed.), Anabolic Steroids in Sport and Exercise (Champaign, IL; Human Kinetics, 1993), pp. 119-120.

Goldman, R., Death in the Locker Room: Steroids & Sports (South Bend, IN; Icarus Press, 1984).

Grunding, P., & Bachmann, M., World Anabolic Review 1996 (Houston, TX; MB Muscle Books, 1995).

Haupt, H.A., "Anabolic Steroids and Growth Hormone ," 21 Amer. J. of Sports Med., 3 (1993), p. 468.

Haupt, H.A. and Rovere, G.D., "Anabolic Steroids: a Review of the Literature," 12 Amer. J. of Sports Med., 6 (1984), p. 469.

Hengge, U.R., et al., "Oxymetholone promotes Weight Gain in Patients with Advanced Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV-1) Infection," 75 Brit J Nutri (1996), pp. 129-138.

Lubell, A., "Does Steroid Abuse Cause - Or Excuse - Violence?" 17 The Physician And Sportsmedicine, 2 (1989), pp. 176-185.

McNutt, R.A., et al, "Acute Myocardial Infarction in a 22-year-old World Class Weight Lifter using Anabolic Steroids," 62 Amer J of Cardiology (1988), p. 164.

Perry, P.J., Andersen, K.H., and Yates, W.R., "Illicit Anabolic Steroid Use in Athletes," 18 Amer. J. of Sports Med., 4 (1990), p. 422.

Phillips, W.N., Anabolic Reference Guide (Sixth Edition, Golden CO.; Mile High Publishing, 1991).

Pope, H.G., & Katz, D.L., "Affective and Psychotic Symptoms Associated with Anabolic Steroid Use," 145 Am J of Psychiatry, 4 (Apr. 1988), pp. 487-490.

Pope, H.G., & Katz, D.L., "Psychiatric and Medical effects of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use," 51 Arch. Gen. Psychiatry (1994), pp. 375-382.

Roberts, J., & Essenhigh, D., "Adenocarcinoma of prostate in 40-year-old body-builder," 2 Lancet (1986), p. 742.

Swerdloff, R.S., & Wang, C., "Androgen Deficiency and Aging in Men," 159 West J Med (1993), pp. 579-585.

Taylor, W.N., Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete (Jefferson, NC; McFarland & Co., 1982).

Wright, J.E., and Cowart, V.S., Anabolic Steroids: Altered States (Carmel, IN: Benchmark Press, 1990).

Yesalis, C.E., & Cowart, V.S., The Steroids Game (Champaign, IL; Human Kinetics, 1998).

Yesalis, C.E., Kennedy, N.J., Kopstein, A.N., Bahrke, M.S., "Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use in the United States," 270 JAMA, 10 (Sept. 8, 1993), p. 1217.