xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Consider Football?

Im pretty sure most people on here are pretty big, except me lol.

But I was wondering, has anyone, big that is, ever tried out for the nfl. Talk to the management and walk on at a spring camp? Yes I know it takes alot more than being big and strong, but Im pretty sure ev1 is in decent shape and could work at it and be there within a year. I played for high school, and got a scholarship to a private college playing special teams, I just never was big enough.

But I know some of you guys are. Make millions, knock shit out of people, and have the time of your life. Its worth a shot, just gotta pass the roid test.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Brock lesnar tried it and didn't make it...Professional wrestler and he was huge..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamaniac
    Brock lesnar tried it and didn't make it...Professional wrestler and he was huge..

yeah for the vikings. That surprised me actually.

But if he worked hard at it for a year, not even, I bet he could get his agility/speed where it needs to be.

Same with you guys.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    i'm trying out for Arena Football @ the end of this month... only played 2 years of high school ball. We'll see how it goes!

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I doubt most would have a chance. They probably are in good enough shape but most lack the skills of an NFL player.

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    first of all im smaller than all of you

and secondly... i m not enthustiastic about getting rushed by a 250 lb guy ... i'd rather squat and deadlift in the safety of a gym

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I doubt most would have a chance. They probably are in good enough shape but most lack the skills of an NFL player.
    I agree!

Superhuman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    first of all im smaller than all of you

and secondly... i m not enthustiastic about getting rushed by a 250 lb guy ... i'd rather squat and deadlift in the safety of a gym
    i'd rather be the 250lb guy rushing than be lifting in the gym!

...i guess i could do both!

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I think someone has watched "The Longest Yard" afew too many times. Not that it's a bad thing, I love that movie.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I was pretty decent @ fball in HS...but not near good enough to consider trying out for the NFL. Another thing...Im too young anyway...I'd have to play college first. I didnt wanna play football or baseball in high school. Although I miss them both

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    unfortuantely size has very little to do with the success of the nfl athlete. I mean dude...those huge offense lineman are as fast as most high school wide receivers...that's jut crazy.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    unfortuantely size has very little to do with the success of the nfl athlete. I mean dude...those huge offense lineman are as fast as most high school wide receivers...that's jut crazy.
    Yeah, true to an extent. Dunno bout that..I dunno what HS u talkin bout..Most NFL lineman run around a 5 second 40

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    I played Div I ball for 4 years (SS) and believe me, there's a reason why less than 1% of collegiate athletes make it in the NFL. The college game is big and fast, but the pro game is enormous and warp speed.

The impact force of the average NFL linebacker is the same as a 50 pound dumbell hitting a concrete sidewalk after being dropped from a 2 story window. And this is average - can you imagine the unconscious snot bubbles you'd be blowing after a hit by Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher?

Although linemen aren't as fast or agile as other positions, you don't wanna take a hit by a 300 pounder once they get up to speed.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    you should try rugby league,much faster plus no helmets or pads,no long breaks every 3mins.maybe im biased

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy

yes, they are fast. But that doesnt mean nobody from here isnt fast or cant get fast. For example, bungie ropes and running sprint chutes are available. Like Is aid, work with that, and within a year, you would be hella fast. I just did bungie ropes during a summer workout, and increase my 40 by just under 2 seconds.

As far as skills go, once again, as I stated before, work at it! Its really not as hard as what you think, especially linemen...proper hand and foot work. working at that, 2 hours a day, for a year, not even..bam!

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta
    you should try rugby league,much faster plus no helmets or pads,no long breaks every 3mins.maybe im biased
    No way is rugby faster...Not trying to be a dick but i've wached some rugby games...The athletes are not on the same level imo..I also have to say nfl players get hurt just as often as rugby players and if they didn't wear pads etc they wouldn't have enough players to finish a game..

No way is rugby faster...Not trying to be a dick but i've wached some rugby games...The athletes are not on the same level imo..I also have to say nfl players get hurt just as often as rugby players and if they didn't wear pads etc they wouldn't have enough players to finish a game..
    agreed

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx
    yes, they are fast. But that doesnt mean nobody from here isnt fast or cant get fast. For example, bungie ropes and running sprint chutes are available. Like Is aid, work with that, and within a year, you would be hella fast. I just did bungie ropes during a summer workout, and increase my 40 by just under 2 seconds.

As far as skills go, once again, as I stated before, work at it! Its really not as hard as what you think, especially linemen...proper hand and foot work. working at that, 2 hours a day, for a year, not even..bam!
    If that all it takes then how come a small percentage of college football players ever make it to the nfl. And they have been doing what your saying for most of their lives.

Perhaps the biggest transition from college to the pros is the mental side of the game. At the collegiate level, in addition to the usual 3 hour days (practice plus lifting) that I put in, I also spent 2-3 hours watching game film. A lot of pros spend twice as much time studying the opposing team.

If someone can increase their 40 by 2 seconds, it's because they were nowhere near their max speed. If you're young, untrained, and inexperienced then such a gain is totally possible. However, the pros are already at or near their max. Pros can roughly cover 10 yards in just over a second. Combine that speed with experience and bodyweight and you've got snot bubbles or injuries.

Anyone catch Chris Simms taking a beating last week? The dude had his spleen removed. I'll agree that rugby is indeed a tough game, but when you put on the pads, it removes any inhibition about laying a hit on someone. I don't know very much about rugby, but it seems to have a lot more lateral ball movement than American football. Hitting someone head to head seems to be more destructive versus hitting at a merging angle. I didn't do very well in physics, though. Any thoughts on this?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    not rugby......................rugby league its much different its australian,england play it as do the french and new zealand

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta
    not rugby......................rugby league its much different its australian,england play it as do the french and new zealand
    Rugby + Reggie Bush = pwnage. Nobody would touch him.
    Rugby + Ray Lewis = forfeit due to injuries (and two deaths from shankings)

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    Rugby + Reggie Bush = pwnage. Nobody would touch him.
    Rugby + Ray Lewis = forfeit due to injuries (and two deaths from shankings)

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    I've thought about it when I get out of college. I don't know what I'd do anymore though. Used to play offensive and defensive line, and was very good at it. But I'm a lot smaller now, so I'd have to be some sort of back or reciever. And considering I can't catch a ball, can barely throw it, and am not too light on my feet, I guess I could always be the team's water boy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    If that all it takes then how come a small percentage of college football players ever make it to the nfl. And they have been doing what your saying for most of their lives.

Im not saying it would be easy, but it seems like someone on this board, at least one, would have a decent chance.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    Its really funny that this is posted. A buddy of mine and I have seriously been considering this. I played HS ball, he did and also some arena league. One of my Professors Husband works for the WHITE SOX. he came in and he was saying all pro teams have to do a certain amount of days of walk on tryouts. He is one of the guys that has to watch them, he said you would be suprised how many 50 years old beer bellied guys come out. I have been starting to do alot of cardio and leaning my weight traing towards football. I am NOT in football shape at all now. I been running the 40 in 4.5 pretty consistantly but that is BAD for me(I was a hundred meter sprinter with a time under 10.5 in HS). So I need to decide, do i want to drop 20 pounds and give it a shot or bulk 20 more pounds and look beefy.Im not saying either of us would make it, but atleast we could say we tried. HOWEVER, if I do tryout, I will have to make sure I am fast enough again that nobody can catch me lol.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve80
    Its really funny that this is posted. A buddy of mine and I have seriously been considering this. I played HS ball, he did and also some arena league. One of my Professors Husband works for the WHITE SOX. he came in and he was saying all pro teams have to do a certain amount of days of walk on tryouts. He is one of the guys that has to watch them, he said you would be suprised how many 50 years old beer bellied guys come out. I have been starting to do alot of cardio and leaning my weight traing towards football. I am NOT in football shape at all now. I been running the 40 in 4.5 pretty consistantly but that is BAD for me(I was a hundred meter sprinter with a time under 10.5 in HS). So I need to decide, do i want to drop 20 pounds and give it a shot or bulk 20 more pounds and look beefy.Im not saying either of us would make it, but atleast we could say we tried. HOWEVER, if I do tryout, I will have to make sure I am fast enough again that nobody can catch me lol.
    if you are serious, then concentrate on the speed. the only way anyone is ever gonna have anykind of prayer is to catch on as a special teamer. for that you need speed and a thick skull. i have many friends in the nfl and spend alot of time at the facilities. for someone to make the team as a walk on just doest happen anymore but at least you can say you gave it a shot. good luck to you.

its really not as hard as you think? bro, this isnt meant to be a flame but thats one of the dumbest things ive ever read on this forum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1819
    its really not as hard as you think? bro, this isnt meant to be a flame but thats one of the dumbest things ive ever read on this forum.

I know its not as hard as what ev1 thinks...thats my ****ing point!

lol

I know its not as hard as what ev1 thinks...thats my ****ing point!

lol
    you obviously have never played sports. to trivialize what it takes to be a pro athlete is just ignorant. you sound like some of the parents of some of the kids i coach who all think their kids are gonna be in the nhl. please. the time i spent playing was the hardest time of my life. total dedication, hard work, day, after day, after day. to think that someone could just practice for a year and compete for my job is insulting and actually quite humorous. granted a different sport but football is the same. no one walking on and competing for any job on that field. no way, no how.

Blog Entries
    you obviously have never played sports. to trivialize what it takes to be a pro athlete is just ignorant. you sound like some of the parents of some of the kids i coach who all think their kids are gonna be in the nhl. please. the time i spent playing was the hardest time of my life. total dedication, hard work, day, after day, after day. to think that someone could just practice for a year and compete for my job is insulting and actually quite humorous. granted a different sport but football is the same. no one walking on and competing for any job on that field. no way, no how.

Not just anyone...cuz if that was the case, like I stated before, I would do it....me and my little ass. Theres obviously big people on here...and working on speed is rather easy, and get down hand/blocking techiques...and bam, lineman right there.

Im sure theres a 6'6'' guy here, at about 285 or so......if not, then oh shit, im wrong...big deal...just figuring since its a juice site, thers gotta be big strong guys....that could of course play for the texans...lol man they suck

Kal-El is offline Associate Member
    Well let me chime in, I play semi-pro ball have been for 4 years. I'm 6'4/6'5 depending on what type of footwear I'm in, 290lbs (up 16lbs, 6 1/2 weeks into test/deca cycle). In High School i ran the 40 in 4.5 at 6'0 200, now im in the 4.8-5.0 range. I play Offensive Tackle, and have went up against a few former NFL guys who played on scout teams and special teams and they are at a completely different level and your talking about the lower level guys on the team. Its a whole different ball game up there. Your talking about the lineman and these guys at that level have been doing this since they were little kids. 2 years of training is not going to give you what these guys have from YEARS of training let alone natural ability. Plus and I know some will argue but playing Oline just isnt about "hey me push big guy out of hole ug ug", there is ALOT of technique and skill needed for some of the blocking formations and schemes. For instance kid that plays on the team i am on right now is 6'7 at least 325, very quick in a straight line but his foot work is HORRIBLE. He gets beat on the outside rush ala a Jevon Kearse type of rush 70% of the time and I have been working with him for almost a year and he still isnt getting it. I have excellent footwork just not the extra size needed to play at the Arena 1 level or the NFL, and the speed. Some of those lineman may be running the 40 in 5 sec but there 10 and 20yd dash are FAST. We live in that 10yd range, the faster you can get to the LB before they read the play the better or faster you can react to the type of rush from the man in front of you the better.

So in closing I'm not saying that it can't be done cause I'm sure there are probably some on here that could succeed at that level from there size and athletic ability, by succeed i mean make the team at the lower level not start. I've tried out for Arena teams and I have personally seen guys who most on here would label fat slobs move so fast and with such grace that your mouth hangs open at those tryouts. Best of luck to those trying to achieve their dreams.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    if you are serious, then concentrate on the speed. the only way anyone is ever gonna have anykind of prayer is to catch on as a special teamer. for that you need speed and a thick skull. i have many friends in the nfl and spend alot of time at the facilities. for someone to make the team as a walk on just doest happen anymore but at least you can say you gave it a shot. good luck to you.

That was actully what I was thinking, I was gonna try for special teams, I used to dominate on that because of my speed. Now I just have to drop a little weight and sprint my ass off everyday, Im hoping to be able to knock off atleast 2-3 tenths of a second off my fourty which I am sure I can do.Thanks for the info.

GUnit33 is offline Member
    You're best chance to walk into the nfl and make a squad is as a special teams specialist. This means: Punter, Kicker, Long Snapper, or some mad man who flys down the field with no care about his body just to bust up holes and try to make a tackle here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve80
    That was actully what I was thinking, I was gonna try for special teams, I used to dominate on that because of my speed. Now I just have to drop a little weight and sprint my ass off everyday, Im hoping to be able to knock off atleast 2-3 tenths of a second off my fourty which I am sure I can do.Thanks for the info.
    when you are ready let me know. i have a good friend playing for the bears(i notice you're in illinois) he can give you the contacts. when he was in miami he hooked up a buddy of mine who was playing arena and wanted to tryout for the dolphins. i know they were real firm about having gamefilm so if you have any, dig it up. good luck.

Thread Information