Mizfit is offline Banned

Wink Any of your cities got a Zanta?

He better watch out. He better not try.

Because Zanta has been warned, not to come to town.

At least, to stay clear of much of the downtown core.

If he strays off course, even by a block, he could find himself delivered, by the police, back to a ho-ho-holding cell.

Because a court order stands between David Zancai, one of Toronto's most recognizable street characters, and the centre of attention he craves.

It's not likely you'd know his real name -- David has dubbed himself "Zanta." But if you've spent time in Toronto, you've walked the same street -- perhaps crossed it quickly, once you've seen him in his red-and-white Santa cap, flexing buff and shirtless on corners or performing knuckle push-ups for passing trolley cars. Sometimes, it's said, in front of them.

Few parades or labour marches take place without Zanta.

"Santa's at the back, while Zanta's at the front," he boasts.

He believes these antics will, and are, making him famous.

"I've always wanted this...to be well known...to leave my mark," he says -- speaking at twice the pace of most men.

The 37-year-old Zanta points to fans on chat sites and forums -- boasts from those who've had encounters with Zanta.

Out of CITY

And he'll now point to this column. But he can no longer point to his once-daily appearances in the background on CITY-TV programming, being shot from the Queen St. ChumCity Building.

CITY-TV was an originator of using streetscapes as backdrop to live news programming. It has become a staple of the medium -- including morning shows on U.S. networks. It's also a way for average people to, at the speed of light, find themselves TV stars. Or at least, a flash of fame.

This is what Zanta has wanted. Badly.

But first, his transformation into a spectacle.

Zanta swears he is as mentally balanced as he is physically fit. And not bipolar, as his ex apparently has said. Five years ago, while working as a contractor, he fell 7 metres. The injury was enough to put the father of four out of work. But not long out of shape. He says he began toning up with pushups. He has become fanatical about them -- doing thousands each day and, he estimates, a half a million this past year.

The hat was born late last year, after a family-court dispute. He wore it to a hearing, he says to entertain his daughter.

The judge told him to take it off -- then suggested a mental-competency test might be in order. But Zanta liked the way the hat felt. So he kept it on. Much like Christmas lights in his Etobicoke home, where decorations stay up all year long.

Sometime after reinventing himself, while seeking attention on the streets, it dawned on him. If he could just get on TV -- flex his stuff -- then fame would be Zantas'.

When you point cameras to the street, there are going to be those who take the invitation personally. Zanta did.

This year, he began showing up in front of almost every street shot CITY-TV would air. There were weeks in a row, when producers happily used his schtick as fodder on their Speakers Corner highlights. Strangers were recognizing him -- and his desire for more attention grew bolder.

But if there's an expiry date -- or just limits -- to being on public display. He apparently passed it eight months ago.

Around March and April, court documents show, his actions were taking a toll on stressed CITY-TV production staff who tried to crop him out of Queen St. window shots. By May, police were being called to the TV station. By June, Zanta was a wanted man -- if only by police. That month, he spent seven days in jail, for breaking restrictions to stay away.

On his record of arrest, under description, is typed: "Skull and barbed wire on right bicep, Santa Claus hat, goatee."

It is St. Nick gone bad. Or as he says, the "Anti-Santa."

Mischief charges, and transgressions after being warned, have pushed Zanta beyond an ever widening no-go zone around the ChumCity Building. He's now forbidden from travelling south of College St. to King St., and from Yonge over to Spadina Ave. It's 10 blocks across and about as many up and down. He says it's robbed him of certain fame.

"Zanta is just a character," he promises.

Like the Naked Cowboy of Times Square, he points out.

Officials at CHUM said they would not talk about Zanta. However, police statements, used against him, claim his physical antics, loud voice and brash, possibly obscene movements, are intimidating guests, staff and passersby.

"I'm very afraid that this individual may cause me physical harm," wrote one cameraman in a CHUM security report.

Zanta's also getting in the way of good shots.

Bane of director

A senior director at the station wrote in a June police statement: "Avoiding Zanta has become the focus of my energy and attention instead of the guests on our show. The underlying threat of capturing his bizarre antics and gestures on live TV completely hinders my job performance."

A magic act was ruined, she noted, because viewers were too busy watching Zanta in the background. The director had to begin shooting toward the building, rather than into the street. Their weatherman began doing live hits from the parking lot, because it was "Zanta-free."

But is fame-loving Zanta a spectacle -- something CITY, socially and specifically, helped create -- or is he a threat?

There seems to be no physical violence reflected in his criminal record. Though he says his ex-wife has claimed harassment. And one 52 Division detective who has helped keep Zanta away from the bright lights of the TV station points out: "He's a very intimidating presence."

The officer wouldn't, he added, want to make Zanta angry. But, that said, the last time the detective brought him into the police station for entering the forbidden zone: "He was very polite and co-operative."

Zanta, as expected, says he's harmless. That he's brash, but just doing an act. That it's the TV station that has bullied him out of much of the city and his maximum exposure.

"I want to go national," he wishes aloud -- very loud. "To do it, I need to go downtown. And they won't let me."

He better watch out. He better not try.

Because Zanta has been warned, not to come to town.

Foskamink is offline Banned
    bump?

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    im not going ot read your post because im too lazy fro that but i can say that i have seen him

i was in the Yrokville area and he was flexing and grabbing his ass in front of a restaurant. My friend was so enthralled by this he took his shirt off himself

rake922 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    im not going ot read your post because im too lazy fro that but i can say that i have seen him

i was in the Yrokville area and he was flexing and grabbing his ass in front of a restaurant. My friend was so enthralled by this he took his shirt off himself
    I'm not reading it either.. I tried to skim it, but found it way too lame...

Sorry Mizfit

Superhuman is offline Banned
    that was long! is this for real?

Quote Originally Posted by rake922
    I'm not reading it either.. I tried to skim it, but found it way too lame...

Sorry Mizfit
    wow you're such a nice fvkcing guy

rake922 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    wow you're such a nice fvkcing guy
    You honestly liked it?

Quote Originally Posted by rake922
    You honestly liked it?
    i still haven't read the whole thing but I'm not gonna skim through it and be a dickhead and say something rude like somebody
    Last edited by Superhuman; 10-08-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Mizfit is offline Banned

Yah that's HIM!!!

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    that was long! is this for real?
    Yes he is for real he flexes for ppl and doesn't wear a shirt in one of our most ritzy area's

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    Yah that's HIM!!!
    is he just an attention whore? I mean does he actually have a job or... is he a bum?

Yes he is for real he flexes for ppl and doesn't wear a shirt in one of our most ritzy area's
    i love that area it beats the dullness that is Mississauga

Mizfit is offline Banned
    i love that area it beats the dullness that is Mississauga
    I live really close to downtown and work in sauga - at work i gotta drive to the tim hortons.., whereas at home its down the street....It suks!

Mizfit is offline Banned
    is he just an attention whore? I mean does he actually have a job or... is he a bum?
    My sister works right at avenue and bloor - she says he is there every day. I think he's a bum

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    interesting

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    YAAAAAYYYYYY I want to go to Canada now!!! This is kinda like the underwear singer/guitar player in New York. Ive seen him on the streets, he is........a little strange. But he got his little bit of fame.

I live really close to downtown and work in sauga - at work i gotta drive to the tim hortons.., whereas at home its down the street....It suks!
    ahh tahts pretty shitty

mississauga is spaced out like mad... inconvenient if you dotn have a car

tahts waht you get for suburbs... i guess

makes driving easier though

Mizfit is offline Banned

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Wtf!?!?!?!

Mizfit is offline Banned

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    Wtf!?!?!?!
    Zanta POWER!!!

Better than ninjas because this dude is real

Zanta
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Zanta flexing his muscles. Image copyright Matt O'Sullivan. Used with Permission.
    Enlarge
    Zanta flexing his muscles. Image copyright Matt O'Sullivan. Used with Permission.

David Zancai (commonly known as Zanta) is a street entertainer from Toronto, Ontario, in Canada. Zancai travels around the streets of downtown Toronto doing pushups for the amusement of passersby. While in character, Zancai wears nothing but shorts, boots, and a Santa hat, even during Toronto's harsh winters. He performs this routine every day of the year except on Christmas day. He estimates he does thousands of pushups per day.[1]

there was a guy in a town i stayed for a short time who looked like and thought he was jesus. he went by the name "what's your name"

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I guess he like the naked cowboy in New yokr time square

Mizfit is offline Banned
    there was a guy in a town i stayed for a short time who looked like and thought he was jesus. he went by the name "what's your name"
    He is Zanta

In October 1999 a white-robed evangelist who is called "Whatsyourname" showed up in Pennsylvania. It is said people listened to his preaching and were changed by it, and he attracted a large following. It is said miracles started to occur there including miraculous healings. It is said he looked like Christ and acted like Christ. Soon he became international news. Who is this mysterious man from Ohio, Whatsyourname? Note that he is from Toledo Ohio, and there is the expression "Holy Toledo".
    Note that the last chapter of the Bible, the Book of Revelation, talks about an evil dictator called the Antichrist who will rise to power in the future. Revelation also talks about 2 mysterious prophets, called the two witnesses, who will appear at the time of the Antichrist. Could whatsyourname be one of the two witnesses in Revelation 11?

I guess he like the naked cowboy in New yokr time square
    i saw that jerk once in manhattan!!

He is Zanta
    he is ???

Mizfit is offline Banned
    i saw that jerk once in manhattan!!
    How did it make u feel

we also had a guy name the "mad hatter" who used to where ridiculous hats and walk aroung in a jacket covered in hundreds of buttons and pins and had a meagaphone and a cane with a horn on it

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Philly has a transvestite called Phoenix. Everyone that goes out in the city has a Phoenix story.

How did it make u feel
    slightly annoyed but also amused and curious to why he was the way he was

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    Philly has a transvestite called Phoenix. Everyone that goes out in the city has a Phoenix story.
    does the phoenix hang out in the "gay-ber hood"/ rittenhouse area?

does the phoenix hang out in the "gay-ber hood"/ rittenhouse area?
    He is every where. Seen him in R square, Old city, evolutions and tribeca when they were open.

He is every where. Seen him in R square, Old city, evolutions and tribeca when they were open.
    i never ran into this person, i will keep my eyes open

i never ran into this person, i will keep my eyes open
    I guess you live in the area? I live on the main line for 2 more months then off to NJ.

I guess you live in the area? I live on the main line for 2 more months then off to NJ.
    fck NJ and the shitty property taxes,mainline is nice. if you like cheese steaks, go to mamas pizzaria.from city line take a rt on belmont av, it is about a mile on the right side. the BEST hands down

fck NJ and the shitty property taxes,mainline is nice. if you like cheese steaks, go to mamas pizzaria.from city line take a rt on belmont av, it is about a mile on the right side. the BEST hands down
    North Jersey taxes are brutal but it a work transfer so...
    I'm off tomorrow i think i know where i'm going for lunch. thanks

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Is it worth reading anyone ?

North Jersey taxes are brutal but it a work transfer so...
    I'm off tomorrow i think i know where i'm going for lunch. thanks
    not open on mondays

Thread Information