Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Toronto Raptor -GM or any job realted with basketball ( PR, Advertising, community development etc)

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    C.E.O. of Exxon....Their last CEO retired with something like a 300million dollar bonus I believe?...In anycase, probably CEO of any Fortune 500 company, they're quickly becoming the new celebrity's...Those guys get awesome salaries, incredible stock options, company jets,cars,etc..and charge all kinds of things to their company accounts, not sure that it can get much better than that?

lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    Quote Originally Posted by cj1capp
    ME TO ARE YOU WITH A DEPT. OR ARE YOU PRIVATE?
    i work with a city department...

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    im giong to be an endocrinologist.. LOL GO FIGURE ON THAT ONE EH?
    Tai, I'm amazed that you could even spell endocrinologist. Too bad you couldn't spell "going" correctly. Just kidding. Good luck with your studies!

Dudes, I'm living my dream job. As a professor in Japan, I work 6 months out of the year and get paid for 12. Because I'm a white Yank, they don't want my opinions, so I don't have to attend boring meetings or committees.

I get paid to talk to pretty young Japanese female students all week when school is in session. I like the young Japanese guys too - their behavior makes me look that much better!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    CSAR what subject do you teach? How is it to live in Japan?

Johan, I teach various English classes (speaking, listening, & reading) as well as some linguistics, especially phonology and sound system courses.

Living in Japan has its ups and downs and I have a real love/hate relationship with the country, its culture, and people. But I love the food and the women, just can't stand the guys and their racist behavior/comments. That's all I'll say for now 'cause linguists love to talk and it's hard to shut us up...

BTW, every time I see Jean Claude dancing and that girl saying "Wow!" I burst out laughing and my wife comes in to see WTF I'm laughing at and then we both can't stop laughing.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    only jean claude can get that happy to se a pair of giant nuts.

racists huh. I though japan people where very polite?

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan

Myself as well, and even if they are racist, I was under the impression that the Japanese were much more private with their opinions than say, Americans.

outofthebox is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan

they are very polite....when they are in our country....at home though, it is their country and we are the stupid tourists/foreigners and they dislike us just as much

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Bodybuilder/powerlifter looks to be winning. Go figure on this site

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    Myself as well, and even if they are racist, I was under the impression that the Japanese were much more private with their opinions than say, Americans.
    Japanese aren't really private with their opinions, but they are very subtle and indirect. Many times Japanese will say something, but mean the exact opposite (kind of like sarcasm, but without the humor). Also, their behavior is very passive aggressive. I'll try to give you some examples, most of which involve commuting on the train/subway.

1) Japanese men will frequently move close to a gaijin (foreigner) and start sucking their teeth, as if a piece of food were caught. This is a Japanese way of indicating dislike.

2)Japanese men will open their legs wide so that you can't sit down. If you ask them to close their legs so that you can take a seat, you are rude because you are upsetting the "wa."

3) Japanese usually make indirect comments. For example on the train, "These seats are really small, don't you agree?" Translation: These seats weren't designed for your big gaijin ass.

4) Japanese like to push and elbow gaijin when you're not looking. I've caught a few elbows in the gut and back when Japanese are exiting the train at stops other than mine. They can tell you're not getting off, so they'll take a shot to make up for their lousy job, life, etc.

5) After a few drinks, Japanese can become very direct. I've had people tell me that my mere presence offended them, that Pearl Harbor was funny, and that Japanese are superior to all other races. In one instance, a drunk salaryman crossed the road just to spit on me and yell obscenities.

6) Although my wife is Japanese, by virtue of living abroad and having married a gaijin, she is ostracized by other Japanese. She's a hairdresser/stylist and her former salon told her that she had to use her maiden name on her name tag, because customers wouldn't want someone married to a gaijin cutting/styling their hair.

Anyhow, I realize this post might come off sounding overly negative. 70% of the time, I have no problems in Japan. But it's the problems occurring 30% of the time that seem to have stuck with me. Also, I fully admit that I am influenced by the values and behavior of Western culture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information