Foskamink is offline Banned

buying 250 sports bike - first bike - cbr v ninja

im looking at my first road bike and i want a sports bike, and im looking at either a honda cbr250 or a kawasaki 250 ninja.

i wanted to start on a suzuki gsxr600 and beleive i would have bo problems learning and controlling on that bike for a first bike but legally wise i must start with a 250 but it dosnt matter. im only loyal to gsxr for 600 and 1000. 250 green ninja or a 250 black cbr would be nice first bike?

feedback please

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    that sucks u have to start on a 250...i've never seen a cbr 250, is it the same body as a cbr 600?...if it is then i would get that cause the ninja 250's we have in the states look like a moped...

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    the cbr looks WAY cooler ninja 250's look queer i hate them and i dont like the way they run. why do you legally have to start on a 250?

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    dont get a 250 you will bve board of inin 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr
    dont get a 250 you will bve board of inin 2 weeks.
    he said legally he has too...which im not sure of why? unless ur like 15 years old lol

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    yep i wouldnt class a 250 as a sports bike lol.

id just get any old 250 and get your test passed,save your money for the big bike.

Blog Entries
    250 might be a scoter

well for 1 year u must have like 25 kw max engine or somthing, which is 250 and gsxr 600 are like 80+ kw i think.

in my home country australia u must be on a 250 for 1 year aswell. u see alot of countrys do the little smart things to think ahead for the road, why u get 100 times more acidents in america, just the little things like this. i actually dont think a 600 is worse, infact i say the 250 is more dangerous, but thats not how the government looks at it. sports bike i say that because i want that style / shape like the 600s and stuff, cause who wants a enduro or scooter looking motobike?

my friend in australia has a 250 ninja and he says its awesome. my cars 0-60mph in 5 seconds, i asume the 250s are alot slower, but still quicker then most cars hell i would drive a 600. but insurance isnt coverd and a acident cost cause alot in law suits.

this is foskamink on a 250 ninja (even tho its a like a 1200)

this is foskamink on a 600 ( u see foskamink isnt in the picture because he went down the cliff

Blog Entries
    Ya that is a great pic. Just wht i wont to see as a sport bike rider.

Not

Ya that is a great pic. Just wht i wont to see as a sport bike rider.

Not
    i dont have a clue about statistics or what really happens. but majority of young riders having crashes are prolly not nearly as expirenced for the motobike they own 600-1000cc. what u can pass ur test and jump on a 600 cc and drive properly? i dont say driving tests are too easy, but they dont look at the right aspects of driving well for car atleast, i have no clue about motobike, infact i do not have a motobike licence and i am going to ride unlicenced and spare me of the lecture, i am going to have lessons on road and track before i ride alone, but i will not be taking any french or swiss test because i dont have the right permit to live and obtain a local licence.

Blog Entries
    In new jersy they take there test on a scoter. Then go buy a 750. I think this is suck bull shit. you need to pass on what your going to ride. And that still dont mean you can ride worth a shit.

In new jersy they take there test on a scoter. Then go buy a 750. I think this is suck bull shit. you need to pass on what your going to ride. And that still dont mean you can ride worth a shit.
    exactly, even tho i think with even lessons and training u can start on a 600. but even starting on a 250 is good enough. i dont care if i buy a 600 within 6 months legally or illegally. i want to get good on a motobike before i go driving at 100+ mph some may say 100 is nothing. but when u first start out im sure it takes time? hell i drive 160+ mph in my car but that didnt happen over night. took a few months before i did it, and even tho i never ride a sports bike im sure it isnt "easy"

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foskamink
    exactly, even tho i think with even lessons and training u can start on a 600. but even starting on a 250 is good enough. i dont care if i buy a 600 within 6 months legally or illegally. i want to get good on a motobike before i go driving at 100+ mph some may say 100 is nothing. but when u first start out im sure it takes time? hell i drive 160+ mph in my car but that didnt happen over night. took a few months before i did it, and even tho i never ride a sports bike im sure it isnt "easy"
    hmmm your WRX obviously doesn't have a governor? You must have some mods on it.
    I want a GSX-R 750...sick ass bikes!!

my wrx has a new exhaust system, its s standard subaru upgrade, makes the car louder then 90% of sport cars on the road, it dosnt add much horsepower i dont think, its a 2.5 L turbo 2006. stock with exhaust, umm 160 mph, is the max i have gotten it. and the max speed it says it goes on the booklet is 130.

my wrx has a new exhaust system, its s standard subaru upgrade, makes the car louder then 90% of sport cars on the road, it dosnt add much horsepower i dont think, its a 2.5 L turbo 2006. stock with exhaust, umm 160 mph, is the max i have gotten it. and the max speed it says it goes on the booklet is 130.
    oh rock on, ya I think in europe or anywhere besides the US they don't put governors on cars....exhaust probly adds 10-15hp depending if it's catback or full. Those WRX's are fun cars to drive!

My good friend has an Audi RS6 ('03, only year they made it) and the governor was set @ 155 but over in Germany they will run in the 190's because of no governor.

theres plenty of guys i've riden with that DID NOT need to be on a 600. a brand new 600 still puts some serious power to the ground man its not about you going to fast when you have alot of power you can definately lose control etc. i would never recommend starting on anything less than a 600 but i do say be careful people think 600s are small/weak bikes....they are FAR from it. im 220lbs and i've walked 80mph wheelies on a 600 so they've got power. but on backroads u can have just as much fun with a smaller cc bike as a bigger one. just dont jump onto a bike cuz you think bigger is better. but im getting away from sport bikes as i've had to many close calls and cant stand riding with people that dont know how to ride and take my life in their hands. its cruisers for me now

audis erm apparently germany have a max of like 165 mph on all german made cars and cars sold in the country. thats what im told by many people and dealerships. thats why its good to take my car there not sure if my exhaust is catback or full, im about to take pictures of my stock exhaust cause im going to try and sell, but my new exhaust is a subaru upgrade so i asume it does add some hp and not just sound better.

yeh i know alot about the 600s and i know for a fact they are safer and easier to ride, im not going to get into detail and facts because all sportbike riders know that, but legally have to have a 250.

audis erm apparently germany have a max of like 165 mph on all german made cars and cars sold in the country. thats what im told by many people and dealerships. thats why its good to take my car there not sure if my exhaust is catback or full, im about to take pictures of my stock exhaust cause im going to try and sell, but my new exhaust is a subaru upgrade so i asume it does add some hp and not just sound better.

yeh i know alot about the 600s and i know for a fact they are safer and easier to ride, im not going to get into detail and facts because all sportbike riders know that, but legally have to have a 250.
    I see, if it has headers its full...I'm assuming because it's a subaru upgrade its a catback.
    Throw a chip and intake on your 'X' ....that would work great with your turbo and not to mention get rid of your governor

well i plan to put some serious cash into my wrx.
    i plan to replace the sound system 4 new speakers 2 subs + amp
    also think about a ecu dont know much but i will look into them, so i can manage my fuel intake and ect. can prolly gain 20+ hp just changing a few simple settings.

winter is coming so i will buy the gold sti rims in 4 months (summer)
    cause i got brand new winter tyres with rims that cost 1 grand with car. they are 17 inch. and my new rims will be like 18. so i want to make use of the tyres over 4 months or sell them within 1 month before i use them.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I love the Kawi 250s. Their handling is AWESOME.

Also there is a 250 ninja class racing circut, which is alot of fun. I'm not a member yet, but I ran pit in afew years back and it was a blast.

I'd go with the Kawi. Best 250cc bike imo. The Honda just doesn't handle as smoothly.

The Kawi also has a HUGE aftermarket for replacement and performance parts.

Well, your best bet would be actually to ride them both, and buy which ever you feel more comfortable with. (Although I'm sure you'd prefer the Kawi )

i gotta learn first. so i figure learn on what i ride? not a stupid scooter

im curiuos as to why you say 600s are safer and easier to ride? that makes no sense to me and i've riden a large variety of bikes

i gotta learn first. so i figure learn on what i ride? not a stupid scooter
    Sign up for lessons. In Canada, we have to go through a class to get our motorcycle license.

They teach on Honda Rebels.

250cc bikes are definately a good place to start, and will help you hone your riding skill quickly.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    screw the 250. youll grow out of that in 2 months. get a zx-6rr. personally i think its the best 600 start on.

he cant start on a 600 legally

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Just think of all the food you could buy with that much money................

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    I had a CBR250RR and it was the best learner legal bike... i wouldn't have gone any other bike.. but if you want a 600 they are easy to ride also.. i had a 2006 kawa ZX6R black it was awesome it's easy to ride but when you want it to go it won't let you down..... thats a promise. i don't have the bike anymore cause i t-boned a car and wrote it off. it wasn't my fault though..
    so if you want a 250 go the CBR i raced my old 250 against my mates kawa 250 ninja and i beat him. plus i think the cbr looks better too..

cbr looks way better. IMO. but i bet u could pick up a honda rebel 250 wayyyyyyy cheaper then get a sport bike later

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I understand its the law there. Bu i started on a 600 and was board of it by the end of the summer.

roadracer is offline New Member
    They don't sell the CBR250 in the states. Honda makes a great bike though, i live by their dependability. Many and I will go as far to say most countries require that you start with a smaller displacement bike and work up a larger with your experience. I know a rider in the bay area that runs a ninja 250 through the canyons and can beat just about anyone out there. At my home track the 600's are faster than the 1000's by over a second per lap, lap record held by a 600. If you're bored with a 600, I challenge that you're riding it anywhere near it's potential.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracer
    They don't sell the CBR250 in the states. Honda makes a great bike though, i live by their dependability. Many and I will go as far to say most countries require that you start with a smaller displacement bike and work up a larger with your experience. I know a rider in the bay area that runs a ninja 250 through the canyons and can beat just about anyone out there. At my home track the 600's are faster than the 1000's by over a second per lap, lap record held by a 600. If you're bored with a 600, I challenge that you're riding it anywhere near it's potential.
    I'm more into drag racing. So i was bored on a 600. But i do agree with you on your post.

the real question is what color cbr 250? (if i get a choice) i say black

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer
    100% agreed. i've got alot of buddies with 1000's and they think they're bad ass cuz they can drag off the line and have "150hp" etc but i've got another buddy that rides 600s professionaly for suzuki who SCHOOLS them when we hit the twisties. its almost sad to watch lol on the back roads ill say a 600 is just as fun/rideable as a 1000

Thread Information