Thread: PSA in Women?

Mobligator is offline Associate Member

PSA in Women?

Yep, it's true! I would never have believe it if I hadn't read it. Just out of curiosity I did a google search on PSA for Women and lo and behold... We learn something new everyday. Excerpt and site url below.

Excerpt: Originally it was thought that PSA was only produced by the cells of the prostate gland (a male sex hormone gland). However, it has been shown that PSA is also expressed in many female tissues, particularly breast tissues (in both normal and abnormal breast) and in various breast milk, nipple aspirate, and cyst fluid. Pregnant women have elevated serum PSA. High levels of PSA are found in amniotic fluid and the levels change with gestational age. In healthy women serum PSA levels vary during menstrual cycles and are higher in women with excess androgen. Elevated PSA levels are seen in some breast and gynecologic cancers and this may have clinical significance.

http://www.cancerindex.org/geneweb/KLK3.htm#women

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I thought u meant public service announcement

Mizfit is offline Banned
    damn im so glad i got no boobs.. u scared me for a second

Anabolic CEO is offline Senior Member
    I heard something about this the other day, thats funny you just put a thread up of it. I heard about it, but didn't read into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    damn im so glad i got no boobs.. u scared me for a second
    Don't wish to scare you cutie but it has also been indicated in ovarian cancer.
    Perhaps men & women are equal in more respects than we know.

Prostatic specific antigen (PSA) is commonly used for the diagnosis and monitoring of prostatic adenocarcinoma, and has recently been detected in breast cancer and it is also thought to be produced by ovarian cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobligator
    Don't wish to scare you cutie but it has also been indicated in ovarian cancer.
    Perhaps men & women are equal in more respects than we know.

Prostatic specific antigen (PSA) is commonly used for the diagnosis and monitoring of prostatic adenocarcinoma, and has recently been detected in breast cancer and it is also thought to be produced by ovarian cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum
    wow u just like to burst my bubble now dontcha?

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    wow u just like to burst my bubble now dontcha?
    Naw, I just thought it was rather strange that women could produce PSA, (Prostate Specific Antigen) when a woman doesn't have a prostate. One would think that perhaps PSA might be a misnomer now that its found in women. I've read that the Skene's gland is the female counterpart of the prostate gland but I'm not going to go there in this thread. One thing I'm certain of is, this walnut size piece of crap can cause men a whole lot of trouble. I thought it was going to cause me to cash in my chips back in 02 but I'm still hanging around and still pushing the weights.

Thread Information