Terinox is offline The One & Only

Please Help, Lower Back Pain During Hockey!

Okay, so when I play ice hockey, sometimes (especially lately), after about just 10-15 minutes of skating around, my lower back starts aching like mad. It's hard to describe the pain, it's not like a really "bad" pain, it's sort of like the lower back is just tired, and it's a dull sort of ache, that hurts for a while, and if I actually lean mostly back while I rest on the bench, it starts to get a bit better, but obviously comes back right when I get on the ice.

Why does this happen? Do I have a weak lower back? Am I too overweight to handle the skating? I've been playing for about 2 months now, so I would think it's not a beginning of season thing, this problem lasting quite some time. I popped like 2 Aspirin once before going out, and I think it helped, but not sure if it was the Aspirin for sure.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

By the way, I workout the back once a week, and don't really do a lower back exercise. I do lat pulldowns, bent over rows with the bar, sometimes dead lifts, seated row, and that's about it.

Please! I love playing hockey, need to solve this problem ASAP!
    Thnx,
    T.

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    I got that before while standing around ( lol not an issue any more)
    new insoles in my work boots fixed it. might work for hockey too

Bump

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Okay, so when I play ice hockey, sometimes (especially lately), after about just 10-15 minutes of skating around, my lower back starts aching like mad. It's hard to describe the pain, it's not like a really "bad" pain, it's sort of like the lower back is just tired, and it's a dull sort of ache, that hurts for a while, and if I actually lean mostly back while I rest on the bench, it starts to get a bit better, but obviously comes back right when I get on the ice.

Why does this happen? Do I have a weak lower back? Am I too overweight to handle the skating? I've been playing for about 2 months now, so I would think it's not a beginning of season thing, this problem lasting quite some time. I popped like 2 Aspirin once before going out, and I think it helped, but not sure if it was the Aspirin for sure.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

By the way, I workout the back once a week, and don't really do a lower back exercise. I do lat pulldowns, bent over rows with the bar, sometimes dead lifts, seated row, and that's about it.

Please! I love playing hockey, need to solve this problem ASAP!
    Thnx,
    T.
    i had the same problem and i know that pain. its a weird dull pain that almost feel like a big knot in the back. my problem was that i was too upright while i was skating. try bending your knees more and consciously think of having your back straight. get into the position of a barbell row, straight back bend at the knees, lean forward. stretch your back before you skate using one of those ab balls, that helps me too. its not a back strength issue unless your obese.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    I had the same exact issue as well. When I played a lot it seemed to subside but when I play sporadically I have the issue. I play more of a power foward role, so I have to bend and "grind" a bit and it effects the lower back. Lack of lower back strength will effect it. Your spine or back being in slanted shape or curved is not habitual. You claim you dont do much, hence start doing it but I wouldnt go to heavy, rather on form and higher reps. Also get a good stretch and the more you play,stretch and strenthen it will get better. A lot of people who play hockey have that issue

Okay, thanks for the advice guys, will make sure to follow those suggestions.

I guess it really pisses me off, cause I play with guys who are in their early 30's, some late 30's, and they seem perfectly fine, and here I am in early 20's with the problem

Thnx again,
    T.

Thread Information