gettnthere is offline Associate Member

Need a little "life" advice

Heres my story/dilemma:

I was drafted after my junior year in college to play baseball. Now, I am assuming most people here dont know much about minor league baseball (where professional players start their careers before you see em on tv) but the odds are definately not in a player's favor to make the big $$$. So many guys waste 5 years in the minors and never get shit out of it,just delay entering the real world by playing a game for a living.Let me tell you, the money isnt shit in the minors (monthly salary only during season), I got a decent signing bonus, but I invested it, so I live like a teenager in the offseason financially, paycheck to paycheck, and they are not good paychecks because I havent gone back to finish my degree yet because I am gone from march-mid september every year.

I am 23 right now and Im tired of living like that, even though I do get to play the game I love and although it is basically all I know,I am realistic and recognize the odds. If it does work out and I make it, Im pretty much set.Lets say if I dont though; I just dont want to go back and finish school at 26-27, live like a teenager til that age, then try to get in a job market being swarmed by new college graduates. At the same time of trying to start a family with a girl that I have already been dating for 3 years!

Basically my question is what kind of person am I if I walk away and try to start a normal life?What would you do? And is the real world as bad as "they" say? I honestly dont think I could ever quit, but I really dont like living like this. I have always busted my ass to stay ahead of people,class, sports, whatever, but now I feel like I being surpassed.

Sorry to get all serious on you guys,but most people close to me that I have asked always say chase the baseball dream as long as you can, Id like to get another point of view.

Thanks guys

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Sometimes you have to cut your losses. 23 is still young. I'm 24, just got out of the Marines and am going to college. I would not wait too long though, the sand is slipping through the hourglass.

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member
    I agree with king. Time is of the essence, and you can't control what you can't predict.

I say, if you truly enjoy what you're doing and you're worried about financial responsibilites, go through a temp agency, they hire people in school and sometime reimburse you for the schooling and the gas.

Hope this helps you, and you find your way. Also, keep in mind a lot of people search their whole lives before finding their true passion.

I'm 20, and I feel fortunate to have an insight to what I want to do.
    Good Luck!

ecivon is offline Member
    I come from a baseball family, I understand what life is like in the minor's. I have several family members who were drafted and played pro ball, but only one who was really successful and he was very successful.

Several were drafted but chose not to play because they knew they wouldn't get very far and they never regretted for a minute that they didn't play ball.

It's all up to you. You have to make a decision that makes sense for you based on all of the different things going on in your life. Choosing not to play ball will not make you a 'loser', just that you've chosen a different direction for your path in life. Nothing wrong with that. Also absolutely nothing wrong with going back to school at your age. It won't be as negative as you might have pictured.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    i wouldnt give up your dream jst yet your still young, why not do something on the side that could benifit you if baseball doesnt work out, maybe something in engineering or computers????? or sumit your interested in.
    DONT GIVE UP you could jst make it.

Personally man I look at it like firing a gun...all or nothing. If you truly love baseball dedicate every moment of your life to become the greatest and live up to your maximum potential. With that said you can say you gave it your all and didnt half ass it. If you make it then all the better to you...if not, then it isnt like you have any regrets because you gave it your all.

DamnYouMSN is offline Anabolic Member
    which minor league are in? AA?

Yea, will be in AA this year,'07 season

Foskamink is offline Banned
    cant really give best of advice because im lost as a person, but if you made it that far you should give it everything you have. many people would kill to be just in ur position.

DamnYouMSN is offline Anabolic Member
    well AA is the best league to be in....you got a better chance their than in the other two minor leagues. how long have you been in AA?

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    Listen bro I envy you,if you've got skills in the game of baseball then take it to the max.You know how many people in the world wish they could go back to the age you are and push it to the max,nothing good ever came easy and all the hard work and suffering you do will make your acheivment that more vindicating.

"There's no glory without suffering"
    And this girl you said you've been with for three years,the worst thing you could possibly do is even think of starting a family or some kinda regular life forget that shit man your 23 years old and still a very young man and at your peak potential.If I were you I would practice my ass off and keep trying to elevate your game at all costs,your in a position to become a professional athlete and trust me you don't want to punch a clock just yet bro see how far you can take your ability and most importantly do not get your girl pregnant then your really fuked because your life will no longer be about you.If money is your problem then maybe tend bar in your off season but just remember 30 is the new 20 man so even if you stay in the game until your 28 or thirty don't sweat it just go back to school and you'll be fine,The worst thing a man can do is wonder if he just pushed a little harder and practiced a bit more could his life really be different,

There is nothing to think about bro there's baseball and then there's rest and that should be your mentality,good luck

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gettnthere
    Heres my story/dilemma:

I was drafted after my junior year in college to play baseball. Now, I am assuming most people here dont know much about minor league baseball (where professional players start their careers before you see em on tv) but the odds are definately not in a player's favor to make the big $$$. So many guys waste 5 years in the minors and never get shit out of it,just delay entering the real world by playing a game for a living.Let me tell you, the money isnt shit in the minors (monthly salary only during season), I got a decent signing bonus, but I invested it, so I live like a teenager in the offseason financially, paycheck to paycheck, and they are not good paychecks because I havent gone back to finish my degree yet because I am gone from march-mid september every year.

I am 23 right now and Im tired of living like that, even though I do get to play the game I love and although it is basically all I know,I am realistic and recognize the odds. If it does work out and I make it, Im pretty much set.Lets say if I dont though; I just dont want to go back and finish school at 26-27, live like a teenager til that age, then try to get in a job market being swarmed by new college graduates. At the same time of trying to start a family with a girl that I have already been dating for 3 years!

Basically my question is what kind of person am I if I walk away and try to start a normal life?What would you do? And is the real world as bad as "they" say? I honestly dont think I could ever quit, but I really dont like living like this. I have always busted my ass to stay ahead of people,class, sports, whatever, but now I feel like I being surpassed.

Sorry to get all serious on you guys,but most people close to me that I have asked always say chase the baseball dream as long as you can, Id like to get another point of view.

Thanks guys
    first off, it takes a huge person to know when its time to walk away. i know many, many young athletes in your position. mostly minor league hockey players but i do know a few in baseball and your age. i just had this talk with a kid i know who was playin single a for one of the marlins teams. they have like 15 single a teams or somethin. he was a back up catcher. i told him to take a step back, look at where he was. back up catcher on a single a team. nothing to be ashamed of but the reality was he wasnt signing any big contracts anytime soon. a good friend of mine played for the mariners years ago and became a scout. he said baseball was the only sport where they drafted everybody then weeded them out. i got out of pro sports because my contract was up and they didnt want me anymore. plain and simple. i was lucky enough to make enough money to live a comfortable life but had i not, i would have walked away anyway knowing that my whole life was more than being an athlete. if you can still play and take some part time courses or something that would be great. maybe get your associates so you can coach a high school or small college. play some "big league" ball to get your fix. hell i still play in a few bar leagues. at 39 i still love to play. you always will too. just remember you are always more than a baseball player and now might be the time to take the steps to ensure your future. you sound pretty smart. there is no right or wrong decision. just live with the one you make and you'll be ok. best of luck to you.

DamnyouMSN,this will be my first year in AA, this is only my second full season so I am on a good pace but anyone can hit a wall at anytime. I dont plan on that happening but in baseball its best to understand there are always failures, hell,ive heard it a million times, baseball is a game of failure; in how many things in life can someone do something right 3 out of 10 times and be considered one of the best at whatever his craft is? Hit .300 (3 for every 10 obviously) in a career and your in the hall of fame.Cant be too hard on yourself in this game or anything else in life I guess

dedic8ed1,1819 and others-Thanks for your responses, they all are definatley helping me out. I think I just wanted to hear some people that dont know me tell me to go play ball because thats what I want. I feel like a stud when Im playing in front thousands of people during the season but I feel like a loser when Im going to class and to work at a moving company in the offseason when my buddies I graduated high school with are going to their new jobs that pay em pretty nicely. Hey,if anyone watches baseball on tv, Tim Hudson, stud pitcher for the Braves, worked for the same moving company as me when he was in the minors! Keeps me motivated when I have some big ass desk in my hands.Thanks again

DutchCowboy is offline Associate Member
    Sooner or later you have to make a decision on which path to take. You must be able to accept the fact that maybe baseball isn't what you were put on earth to do. We all have to face the music at some time in our lives.
    Maybe you need a better agent that will work hard to get you in the majors?

I definately agree with that.Like i said in my first message, a lot of guys screw around in the minors longer than they should, because they are scared of that "music".I am not scared of it or want to avoid it or anything, just want to know WHEN its time to face it you know? I dont want to be one of those guys for sure, I feel like I have more to offer than throwing a ball,even though it is pretty damn fun...A better agent might help down the road, but they dont have too much to do with what level I am at

Swiggy is offline Associate Member
    What i would have given for your problem when i was 23. when i was 9 years old i was the youngest on my team by 2 years. by the time i was 11 i stopped playing because i couldnt see out of my left eye and i got beaned a few times. i was kinda crushed but just walked away. it always bothered me and i never really talked about it that much. if you feel you really have a shot then work as hard as you can, but be honest with yourself. talk to your girl and your family. maybe give yourself a timetable to move on. 23 is nothing, and 26 isnt much more. you have plenty of time to move on and have a life. as it is you sound mature for someone your age, but what do you really want?

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    wow, 26-27.. i'd say you'd get alot more out of college, and bigger companies would be more interested in you..

Follow a dream... see where it goes.. you will never have this time in your life again..

stop thinnking too much.. stay the coarse
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    F^ck it dude, I threw 93 coming out of highschool and was drafted but decided to go college. I ended up having surgery 2 days before my first start in college. I had to miss a full season and I came back hungier than ever. In the mean time one of my buddies got drafted by the F^cking yankees and decided to go to a powerhouse D-1 school after his sophmore year. Long story short I got hurt again after having a good season and was going to get drafted in a pretty good round my friend ended up getting hurt and was going to be a top three round draft pick but ended up only getting an invite after school was done for him. I miss baseball every single day of my life. Its something you are going to have to live with. I would give up all that i have right now which isnt much because I just finished graduate school to play one more time. My friend is the same way. Your never to old to go to college and having that your were a minor league ball player on your resume is a pretty good thing to have later on. Most employers know what kind of dedication and hard work it is. I just recently got accepted to a doctorate program and they mentioned that they saw that I had been drafted on my resume when I went for my board interview. probable not a major factor but it shows that I have done more than the average. What ever you do you will have to live with your decision for the rest of your life. I know my friend and I still get together and talk about the what if's.

Thread Information