Terinox is offline The One & Only

Question about HD Upconverting DVD Players...

Quick question, when they say that they are upconverting, does that refer ONLY to the DVD's that it can handle, or does it also apply to other formats that it supports (like VCD, SVCD and DIVX), I'm especially interested in the DIVX part, but I'm not sure how the whole thing works.

Thnx,
    T.

Jay-Ace is offline Member
    Normally the DVD player only plays normal DVD's but it outputs the signal in HD, normally through either a DVI or HDMI lead.

Some DVD players are also capable of playing DivX files, just look for the DivX logo on the front.

An upsampling DVD player does not necessarily support DivX and Vice Versa

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    or VGA...ala my xbox360.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    DVD players that up convert will up convert 480p to either 720p or 1080i. Most HD televisions offer up conversion so if you buy a player test which conversion looks better. The upconversion done by the TV or DVD player. Also, upconverted DVDs will not look as good as a true HD DVDs.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Could someone explain what these terms mean? I only understand dvd out of all this I'm thinking of buying a new player, but now I'm confussed

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    DVD players that up convert will up convert 480p to either 720p or 1080i. Most HD televisions offer up conversion so if you buy a player test which conversion looks better. The upconversion done by the TV or DVD player. Also, upconverted DVDs will not look as good as a true HD DVDs.
    Hey Carlos, my tv says it supports HD, but not that it converts it itself or whatever, but does have the HD inputs in the back (I guess that's the HDMI or wutever).

Do you know though if the DVD player upconverts any signal out? So if I have a DIVX (which is obviously not as good quality as a regular DVD), would it still upconvert the DIVX cd? This is assuming the player DOES support DIVX, just wondering here if it will upconvert that too.

Thnx 4 the help,
    T.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Hey Carlos, my tv says it supports HD, but not that it converts it itself or whatever, but does have the HD inputs in the back (I guess that's the HDMI or wutever).
    What model TV do you have? Most HDTVs can display 720p or 1080i. So if you connect a regular 480p DVD player it will scale the signal to 720p or 1080i. (up conversion)

My 40" XBR LCD displays 720p so all singals are up or down converted to 720p.

Do you know though if the DVD player upconverts any signal out? So if I have a DIVX (which is obviously not as good quality as a regular DVD), would it still upconvert the DIVX cd? This is assuming the player DOES support DIVX, just wondering here if it will upconvert that too.

Thnx 4 the help,
    T.
    If the up converting DVD player supports DIVX it should up convert DIVX as well. But you have to remember, shit in = shit out!

Jay-Ace is offline Member

Thnx 4 the help,
    T.

I dont think you're gonna get any better picture quality from a DivX file TBH, I dont even bother with DivX coz of the poor pic quality across a big screen!!

What model TV do you have? Most HDTVs can display 720p or 1080i. So if you connect a regular 480p DVD player it will scale the signal to 720p or 1080i. (up conversion)

My 40" XBR LCD displays 720p so all singals are up or down converted to 720p.

If the up converting DVD player supports DIVX it should up convert DIVX as well. But you have to remember, shit in = shit out!
    The MODEL is a 60" Philips Rear Projection HDTV (60PW9363)

It has DVI input, as well as the GY RPr BPb inputs, wutever those are, never seen them before.

I do believe it supports 1080i, but if I'm inputting something that is 480i for example, why wouldn't it just show it as 480i? Why would it upconvert to anything else?

Thanks for the help dude, I need to find a damn manual online (didn't come with one when I purchased it).

That's good with the DIVX, although you make a good point, LOL, shit in shit out, but even that little will help (it's just that DIVX are so much easier to get/burn than regular DVD's).

Thnx,
    T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Ace
    I dont think you're gonna get any better picture quality from a DivX file TBH, I dont even bother with DivX coz of the poor pic quality across a big screen!!
    True, but any little bit helps I guess. DIVX are so much easier to get (torrents or wutever), and DVD's are just too big to d/l and burn or whatever. Haven't been able to test DIVX quality on the 60" big screen, although, like you said, might look pretty nasty.

The MODEL is a 60" Philips Rear Projection HDTV (60PW9363)

It has DVI input, as well as the GY RPr BPb inputs, wutever those are, never seen them before.

I do believe it supports 1080i, but if I'm inputting something that is 480i for example, why wouldn't it just show it as 480i? Why would it upconvert to anything else?
    HDTV up convert 480i to the TVs standard resolution.

http://www99.epinions.com/pr-Philips...ion_Television

"Sit back, relax, and enjoy big-time entertainment with this awesome 60" digital HDTV monitor from Philips. It delivers a precise picture with its Active Control mode that continuously optimizes the settings for clear results. Its HD DVI and component video inputs are ready for your HDTV decoder."

HDTV up convert 480i to the TVs standard resolution.

http://www99.epinions.com/pr-Philips...ion_Television

"Sit back, relax, and enjoy big-time entertainment with this awesome 60" digital HDTV monitor from Philips. It delivers a precise picture with its Active Control mode that continuously optimizes the settings for clear results. Its HD DVI and component video inputs are ready for your HDTV decoder."
    WOW, thanks a bunch Carlos, you are the man!!!

my plasma has a scaler ( which is great for terrestial tv ) in it,but the one in my dvd player does a better job.

Thread Information