Thread: pre cooking

pre cooking

howdy, this may seem stupid but whats the deal on cooking in bulk.
    i mean whats safe to store and hows best to store it. how long can it be stored for, and do you have to wait till it has cooled before putting it in the fridge or freezer.
    im sure i heard that rice has to be re-cooked and that you shouldnt eat it cold, and that it has to be put in the fridge straight after cooking.
    can you eat potatoes cold, pasta etc.
    thanks,
    ps, i have never cooked for storing.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    You can eat your cooked food cold yes..

I store my food for about 4-7 days a week in the fridge..

You can freeze just about anything excpet fresh veggies.. those are in the fridge ...

Rice doesnt have to be re-cooked once it's cooked it stays that way its doesnt change back

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    all food should be cooked until it reaches 75 degrees C, and let to cool. You can safely place it in the fridge at any time after cooking, although it is best to let it cool to a sensible tempreture to avoid overheating in ur fridge.

As far as storage goes, the standard in restaurants and food shops is no longer than 3 days, including th eday it was cooked. But in the home id say it was fine to store cooked meats for a maximum of 5 days depending on type of meat..

Most things can be frozen but if you keep up with some sort of routine you shouldnt need to freeze much other than raw meats.

For exmaple, on monday,i freeze a load of chicken exept what i need for tues. Then on tues i take what i need for wed, and so on. This ensures maximuim shelf life of your foods.

When using fish other than tined fish I would only store this in fridge for 1 day after defrost. This is my person preference.

Under no circumstances shold you freeze food that has not cooled, nor should you refreeze a previously defrosted item of food.

also i wouldnt freeze cooked meats especially shit u got from shops cos u just dunno how long it bin there

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Chemical King; 01-11-2007 at 06:18 AM.

Thread Information