Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

Parents are you for corporal punishment for children?

Spare the rod spoil the child? Corporal punishment always seems to lead to a lively debate. Here's a link to some of the research on it:

http://people.biola.edu/faculty/paulp/

The article implies that this area of research is politically hot (i.e., it has implications for social policy, law or values in general). Politically hot topics in research are often flawed with respect to secondary interpretations - especially when it's a source with an agenda (e.g., the christian monitor). Often the writers are not only biased but often have little background in research method and statistics. It's easy for the layperson to be mislead by a slickly written article that argues for attitudes the reader already has.

Anyway, I'm against it. My step-father was old school and did that and what stood out most to me was how much I hated him for it. He stopped when I fought back when I was about 15 and I suddenly overpowered him. I never hit him, I'd just get him into a full-nelson and I felt bad about it. When I had him pinned one time, I remember saying to my step-father, "I will not hit you I'm only defending myself." No one deserves to be hit!

I became a confirmed brawler in high school (often over rivalry with the jocks from next town) too but I outgrew that sillyness by 11th grade. Did corporal punishment contribute to this? I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

So needless to say, I'm not for it at all. I think a parent should model "non-violence" and self-restraint to their children. I would imagine that most here would agree but maybe not. What do you think?

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I dont often spank but I do think its needed sometimes. My oldest daughter is 10 and I dont spank her at all anymore. By that age they understand other punishments and its not needed.

My father used to back me into a corner and verbally abuse me or hit me until I beat his ass as a teen. He was big but never had to fight because of his size.

I understand those people who say Im never going to spank but those people generally havent had children yet.

NightTrain is offline Senior Member
    i personally believe in it..... now dont get me wrong i dont mean you should beat yor child, that i DO NOT approve of, but a swat on the rear never hurt anyone for more than a few seconds.... and it always got my attention as a child, my father used to spank us and i think i turned out ok.....

RA
    Oh yeah, IMO if you spank more than 1 or 2 times thats not discipline, it abuse.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I agree with it, just look at our society. The more the law has gone towards not physically punishing children the worse they are behaving. Now days kids go round swearing at the police and generally being assholes. When I was a kid the policeman would have given us a slap for that. I have spanked my stepsons ass before. Now he is older (14) there are certain things he knows would get him a proper slap such as hitting females or little kids and disrespecting his mother.
    He is a good boy and has learnt respect and manners because he knows there is a consequences. We have a happy home life because we all have good manners and respect around the home.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    I agree with it, just look at our society. The more the law has gone towards not physically punishing children the worse they are behaving. Now days kids go round swearing at the police and generally being assholes. When I was a kid the policeman would have given us a slap for that. I have spanked my stepsons ass before. Now he is older (14) there are certain things he knows would get him a proper slap such as hitting females or little kids and disrespecting his mother.
    He is a good boy and has learnt respect and manners because he knows there is a consequences. We have a happy home life because we all have good manners and respect around the home.
    Respect? Put some pants on in the kitchen, people have to eat in there

crazycrab is offline Associate Member
    I agree with Roid. I have three children and they should be loved and incouraged, But some times they need a quick wack on the rear to get their attention( not a beating) just to let them Know they crossed a line. With that said I rarely hit my children. I beleive that most parents are that way.

ect0m0rph is offline Member
    I am torn on the subject. Often times parents use spanking instead of being a parent they try to intimidate their kids. But sometimes you need to spank them so they get the message, its 50-50 with me.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    LMAO I washed first honestly!!

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    There is a reason why God created humans with so much meat on their ass! It is the "Designated Slap Zone," and personally I think it's necessary, up until about age 10-11, when they realize right/wrong, and like many said above, other consequences and styles of punishment. "No" is just a word, and they will not listen just because you say it

I think kids need good guids in their early years. you have to control what they watch on TV and listen to on the radio. I am 34 and it has gotten crazy sence i was a child.

I think kids need good guids in their early years. you have to control what they watch on TV and listen to on the radio. I am 34 and it has gotten crazy sence i was a child.

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    absoulutly not. I only need to raise my voice. Having sed that, if sum ppl feel it right to slap hand than thats up to them

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    absoulutly not. I only need to raise my voice. Having sed that, if sum ppl feel it right to slap hand than thats up to them
    I think If I had been there from my step sons birth this would have been the case but he was 6 yrs old when I moved in so he had already picked up some very bad habits from his idiot drug dealing father.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Parents, knock out your kids... it works!

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    have 4 daughters and believe that when younger is when spanking is/has been necessary....when they get older there are other punishments like restricting television, phone, activities that are already planned.
    but it is so important to install good values/rules when young and of course both parents if possible should practice the same methods

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    When corporal punishment was used in schools, we had alot less violence out of kids when they hit high school. It gets down to having people relize there are consequences for there actions

I hate how all the schools are getting so leanant.
    They are no longer posting honor roll lists in local newspapers because it 'lowers the self esteem' of those children who didnt make it, parents are no longer able to discipline their children correctly, if a kid is dumb they just immediately diagnose him/her with ADHD and needs all this special attention rather than accepting the fact the kid just isnt bright... in 20-30 years all these kids are gonna enter the world so confused and sheltered, its sad.

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    I hate how all the schools are getting so leanant.
    They are no longer posting honor roll lists in local newspapers because it 'lowers the self esteem' of those children who didnt make it, parents are no longer able to discipline their children correctly, if a kid is dumb they just immediately diagnose him/her with ADHD and needs all this special attention rather than accepting the fact the kid just isnt bright... in 20-30 years all these kids are gonna enter the world so confused and sheltered, its sad.

It will never change until we get corral out of control lawyers. A kid gets a little slap on the hand and the parents are ready to sue and the blood sucking lawyers are more then happy to help.

Yes .. need to set boundaries

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    It will never change until we get corral out of control lawyers. A kid gets a little slap on the hand and the parents are ready to sue and the blood sucking lawyers are more then happy to help.
    or, if parents slap their kids on the hand they get taken by social services and get arrested for child abuse

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    My wife and I talk to our daughter (2 1/2 y.o.) first when she does something naughty. We give a mild slap on the hand the second time. A firm pat on the bottom the third time. Surprisingly enough, she has come to understand that when mom and dad use the "serious voice," we mean business.

My old man beat me senseless on a weekly basis for stupid shit like not being able to hold a horse still (I was 5 y.o.) while he was trying to shoe it (I grew up on a horse/cattle ranch). Spankings? I wish...leather belts, willow switches, horse halters, buggy whips, backhands, fists, etc., were the norm. I was glad when my mom finally threw his ass out and divorced him.

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    i do not agree with excessive spanking,if the child has done something severe then maybe a slap on the behind,everyone parents in a different way,with my eldest girls they got a slap or two when they were younger,my boy has never been touched,just the raising of my voice has always been enough and my baby will be the same......................

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I got a few slaps on the ass when I was younger. My parents where strict with me and I thank them for it. In fall I had soccor, harvest and school. In the winter I had wrestling and misc work around the farm. In the spring/summer planting plus greco and freestyle. It did not matter how sore I was my ass was expected to be up to get work done on the farm. My parents expected me to do well in school, sports and to hold my self up to a higher moral standard then most. I did not get a car or money for a 4.0 gpa nor did my father ever baby me after a loss in wrestling etc. He said good job and that was it. My parents raised me to be understanding but stick to what I believe is right. Parents, school etc today do not displine enough. I do not believe in beating the hell out of your kid nor do I believe in turning a blind eye. You cant say never spank and you cant say spank away. For example my wrestling coach never road my ass becouse I was harder on myself and some guys he had to ride hard. The same goes with kids imo.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    LOL @ reading a study on spanking your child. If you have to ask, then i don't know what to tell you.

Just have a look at the little bastards people are raising today and you will know that spanking/discipline is not there.
    ***No source checks!!!***

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    I got a few slaps on the ass when I was younger. My parents where strict with me and I thank them for it. In fall I had soccor, harvest and school. In the winter I had wrestling and misc work around the farm. In the spring/summer planting plus greco and freestyle. It did not matter how sore I was my ass was expected to be up to get work done on the farm. My parents expected me to do well in school, sports and to hold my self up to a higher moral standard then most. I did not get a car or money for a 4.0 gpa nor did my father ever baby me after a loss in wrestling etc. He said good job and that was it. My parents raised me to be understanding but stick to what I believe is right. Parents, school etc today do not displine enough.
    I could not agree more! With the exception of our fathers, sounds like our upbringing was rather similar. There's no better place to raise children than a farm/ranch, IMO.

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    my grandfather used to beat fuk ot my dad wif a belt buckle for pretty much nothing at all, so i would have though that it would make him not want to do the same shit to me.

Because of the beatings i got when i was younger, i definitly would not do it to my son and scare him mentaly like i was. Im fine now but thats cos i delt with it, but if my son had that happen to him whats to say he wont deal with it a different way...for example...injecting heroin or sum shitlike that. Im a good dad and thats the way it will stay

Snrf is offline Banned

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    You crack me up.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    I don’t have kids but I do feel proper punishment is necessary. These doses not mean excessive a light smack or slap only if needed. I would never stand for a disrespectful chilled. I see kids now a days and my head spins. If I did some of the thing they do when I was young. I would have the shit beat out of me ed.

beuleux is offline Banned
    There is a difference betweena swift clout and a beating, my kids very rarely get a swift clout and never a beating.

and yes if youre not carefull you will have all kinds off officials on your case acusing you of all kinds of shit

and yes beast put some strides on please, Ive made you a new avey till then
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents are you for corporal punishment for children?-beast.jpg  

up2itt2003 is offline Junior Member
    A swat on the a$$ or a pinch of the ear sometimes is more effective than asking for a response 100x

I am totally against beating the crap out of yor kids...

That being said, I think some kids need to be reminded who the parent is and who the kid is, and this new age bullshit hippy parenting just doesn't cut it so a hand on a bottom is sometimes needed.

I've barely ever spanked my boy, but with the few times I did, I've estsablished that in certain situations I mean business. Now that he's older (13), there are far more effective forms of punishment (taking away his tv rights, ipod, psp, ps2 and computer for a week and making him read a book is worse than the spanish inquisition!!!)

Maybe the kids woundn't be such little out of control shits if parents stopped trying to be their childrens "buddy" and acted like PARENTS now and then...

Red

prncezzml is offline Female Member
    I smack my daughter's hands occasionally when she won't stop pulling the polar water nozzle and spilling water all over the floor. She doesn't usually even cry though. There is a psychological theory of parenting styles and usually the authoritative style parents have the best principles of discipline, it includes stern, but not severe punishment. Just expressing disappointment and saying "That's not very nice" in a stern voice for example. This encourages children to be able to honest with their parents because they don't have fear of what will happen to them if they screw up (especially in the teen years). These kind of parents have definite control and rules, but also express lots of warmth and love. This is what I try to practice with my toddler, and she is an extremely warm and loving little child. So, you learn you're behavior from your parents for sure. If your stepdad hit you, you were more likely to solve probelms with hitting.

rockbottom is offline Associate Member
    Mostly positive reinforcement. Occassionally a swat is necessary. Must be careful not to lose your temper while juicing, though.

Questioning convention is not something to laught at. It's something that people with mature minds with developed imaginations do. It's better to take informed action rather than just mindlessly going along with the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    LOL @ reading a study on spanking your child. If you have to ask, then i don't know what to tell you.

Just have a look at the little bastards people are raising today and you will know that spanking/discipline is not there.
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 01-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.

That's exactly what the experts say. "Accentuate the postive." Catch a child doing something right and then praise him or her and see if these positive behaviors subsequently increase over time (if they do, you're praise functions as a reinforcer). In this scheme, the parent is the arranger of contingencies. Generally, the idea is, the more the positive behaviors increase, the more the negative behaviors are squeezed out.

Setting up reward systems, etc, is a systematic way of "accentuating the positive" and the research supports this approach as effective. I think basic learning theory is very relevant to parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom
    Mostly positive reinforcement. Occassionally a swat is necessary. Must be careful not to lose your temper while juicing, though.
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 01-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    My daughter never needed a spanking at all.....My son needed it......I think all kids are different and you have to find out what works for them without ruling anything out (of course sadism is ruled out)

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I'm for corporal punishment to a point,

I found in one of the critiques some conditions that mirrored my method.
    Thus the evidence to date suggests that non-abusive spanking has generally beneficial effects on children under the following limited conditions at least:

How: 2 open-handed swats to the buttocks, leaving no bruise
    How: Primarily as back-up for less aversive discipline responses (e.g., reasoning and time out). Using it as a back-up should make reasoning and time out more effective so that the spanking back-up can be phased out.
    Who: by loving parents

Eight of the 9 best studies support this, and the 9th (Straus et al., 1997) has no evidence against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    Anyway, I'm against it. My step-father was old school and did that and what stood out most to me was how much I hated him for it. He stopped when I fought back when I was about 15 and I suddenly overpowered him. I never hit him, I'd just get him into a full-nelson and I felt bad about it. When I had him pinned one time, I remember saying to my step-father, "I will not hit you I'm only defending myself." No one deserves to be hit!
    I’m surprised that your step-father spanked you at the age of 15, IMHO that’s way too old to be spanking, at that age taking away freedom works much better. I’ve got a 15 year old daughter, simply mentioning that a bad choice of hers might lead to grounding, really gets her attention.

I am a step-father to 4 children. I pretty much used the above rules, other than I did spank the boys until they were 12 with the girls, didn't have to after they were 8.

I would explain to them the rules, and with their first infraction I would use alternative punishment, but when they kept breaking the rules, they would get a spanking. Only a swat or two on their bottom, most of the time I doubted that it even hurt, but it was just the fact that I had spanked them.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    yes, i always accentuate the positive as well....excellent point....very important for self esteem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information