dhriscerr is offline Senior Member

Ever got hurt in the weight room?

I started this after the "Not reracking your weights thread". Not your obvious pain of lifting or pulling or tearing something, but for example I was in highschool and my friend was squating 225 without clips started to lean and I ran over to catch the weights before they came off the bar and push them back on the bar, but the second I got there they slid off just an inch before I could catch them, sending the bar into my chin and I bit through my bottom lip and had to get 4 stitches inside my mouth and 7 on my lip. Also while we were on ship aboard the USS Boxer LHD4 heading to australia, I believe it was an australian military personel, slipped on something and hit his head on the dip station and was killed! kinda f'd up and it shut down the weight room for a few days for the investigation but I can't find on the net. That ship ride was crazy there was also a Marine Staff Sgt that was in Iraq and didn't know she was pregnant give birth on it.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Not besides some dumbass dropping a 45 on my foot and my dumbass spotter knocking the bar outta my hands when I was benching givin me a good size bruise for a few weeks...

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    i headbutted a guy a few years ago and his head bounced into a mirror and cut his head open. i had a little black+blue so yes. but had to leave that gym for good LOL

ecivon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhriscerr
    I started this after the "Not reracking your weights thread". Not your obvious pain of lifting or pulling or tearing something, but for example I was in highschool and my friend was squating 225 without clips started to lean and I ran over to catch the weights before they came off the bar and push them back on the bar, but the second I got there they slid off just an inch before I could catch them, sending the bar into my chin and I bit through my bottom lip and had to get 4 stitches inside my mouth and 7 on my lip. Also while we were on ship aboard the USS Boxer LHD4 heading to australia, I believe it was an australian military personel, slipped on something and hit his head on the dip station and was killed! kinda f'd up and it shut down the weight room for a few days for the investigation but I can't find on the net. That ship ride was crazy there was also a Marine Staff Sgt that was in Iraq and didn't know she was pregnant give birth on it.
    The reason I started doing cycles and coming on this board was because of an injury. I was benching too much weight for my wrists to support and tore my tendons and ligaments in my wrist and pushed my wrist carpals into my radius and ulna spreading them apart. Had reconstructive surgery but will need to have joint replacement at some point. Can still workout but really painful, but no big deal.

Cannot overemphasize the importance of working the forearms and wrists.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    dropped dumbel on my foot.
    smashed my fingers once, when i went to put dumbell down i did not notice the other dumbell there.

when i was boxing i once got into a fight with another middle weight over who was next on the smith machine....does that count???lol

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I was pissed that someone didn't take off their weights so i started pulling the plates (35's) off and just dropping them on the ground instead of walking them back. Well one of them took a odd bounce and landed on my toe

I learned my lesson......throw them further from your body !

bigeater is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=chest6]Not besides some dumbass dropping a 45 on my foot and my dumbass spotter knocking the bar outta my hands when I was benching givin me a good size bruise for a few weeks...[/QUOTE Get a better spotter!
    Get a better spotte. Sorry about the buruises on your hand.

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Not yet, knock on wood.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTAPART2
    i headbutted a guy a few years ago and his head bounced into a mirror and cut his head open. i had a little black+blue so yes. but had to leave that gym for good LOL

what did this guy do to you?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    LOL!

heavyhitter08 is offline Associate Member
    about a year ago i herniated a disc while doing some heavy deadlifts

That shit hurt so baddddd... the pain just ran through my leg, i dropped the bar and hopped out of the gym. The worst part about it is i had to drive home and i drive stick

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyhitter08
    The worst part about it is i had to drive home and i drive stick
    happened to me to, just from wrestling around with a buddy, definitely hard to drive a stick when you can't lift your left foot off the ground

ive never really had anything that bad happen to me yet, but i did see a guy doing calf raises on the smith machine on a small light wooden box with 315lbs. the box was obviously going to flip over if you put weight on one side of it and just as i started to warn him it flipped over, smacked him in the shins and he caught the weight with one solid foot and one foot on its side. it had to have ripped everything in his ankle, but he still managed to latch the weight. he had a couple buddies help him to the medics, don't know how bad the injury was though.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeater
    et a better spotte. Sorry about the buruises on your hand.
    not on my hand. The bar fell to my chest from arms length cuz this dumbass. Kinna my fault too tho. Was using a false grip and acted like I had 135 stuck on my chest. He was lau***ng and then i pushed it up as quickly as i could..at the same time he brought his hands down to pull it up...i dunno why. When he did that it knocked the bar outta my hands and onto my chest

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    I got off the bench with two dumbells and started walking over to put them up and my foot got caught on the handle of the bench (for moving it around) and I busted my ass with two 55lbs in front of everybody....mostly pride was hurt

dumbells + floor =

that sucks i've tripped many times but never fallen

alan7890 is offline Junior Member
    seen some old guy take just one side of the weights off leg press machine leaving other side it tipped an nearly crushed someone

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    I was doing inclines without a spotter and no cuffs on the side...then all of a sudden the weight comes off the bar crashing into the mirror and shattering the mirror across the whole gym....ended up killing about 12 people.

lol just kidding.
    only thing i've done is smash my fingers pretty good when putting the weight back on the trees

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYROD

what did this guy do to you?
    i was in one of my "dont look at me i just need to murder some weights today" kind of moods and i went to use the rack and these two frat boy type guys were standing and talking right in front of it and i asked if they where using the rack and one said they where thinking about it why do i ask. uh b/c i want to do some squats. he said to me that he needed to finish his conversation first.WTF I said ok and went to get a drink of water and tried to remain calm. so eventually they moved and I started squating, this kid is behind me grunting and aciting like he is squating he wrapped 2 weight belts around himself and put on gloves and wrist straps i guees to seem funny b/c I use things like this in the gym. well i got super pissed and turned around and said he needed to play it safe and get the hell away from me. so he didnt say anything and i could tell his friend was getting nervous, they moved away again. when i went to get water again they had started over towards the rack and i could see them out of the corner of my eye, he put his hands down his pants and wiped his balls or ass or somehting and then wiped his hand on the bar. i frieakin darted right over to him and put my head right on his forehead until i backed him all the way up the the mirrored wall, and said some f-u type things to him b4 finaly giving him a shot w/ my head and he bounced off the mirror and broke it and his head open. i left and the gym called me and told me they can get in a lot of trouble letting me still be a mamber there, nothing personl though the owner and i were still cool, i would work out somwtimes after hours there.

stuball is offline Banned
    I actully seen two different people at two different times, get on a tread mill while it was running and come flyin off pretty funny shit..

diezell is offline Senior Member
    had a 85 pound dumbell slide off the rack while i was leaning on it and it slammed on my toe breaking it

ha ha I seen a personal trainer standing on the edge of a tread mill next to a client that was running and he went to step across it and his heel hit the part that was moving and shot his right leg infront of his left and he fell and landed on the tread mill and it slung him off the bitch. I couldnt stop lau***ng.

i was in one of my "dont look at me i just need to murder some weights today" kind of moods and i went to use the rack and these two frat boy type guys were standing and talking right in front of it and i asked if they where using the rack and one said they where thinking about it why do i ask. uh b/c i want to do some squats. he said to me that he needed to finish his conversation first.WTF I said ok and went to get a drink of water and tried to remain calm. so eventually they moved and I started squating, this kid is behind me grunting and aciting like he is squating he wrapped 2 weight belts around himself and put on gloves and wrist straps i guees to seem funny b/c I use things like this in the gym. well i got super pissed and turned around and said he needed to play it safe and get the hell away from me. so he didnt say anything and i could tell his friend was getting nervous, they moved away again. when i went to get water again they had started over towards the rack and i could see them out of the corner of my eye, he put his hands down his pants and wiped his balls or ass or somehting and then wiped his hand on the bar. i frieakin darted right over to him and put my head right on his forehead until i backed him all the way up the the mirrored wall, and said some f-u type things to him b4 finaly giving him a shot w/ my head and he bounced off the mirror and broke it and his head open. i left and the gym called me and told me they can get in a lot of trouble letting me still be a mamber there, nothing personl though the owner and i were still cool, i would work out somwtimes after hours there.
    NICE bet he never wipes sweaty nut juice on anyone else's bar now!!! I hate fvcks like that, seriously you care about lifting and there just in there to talk and screw with people that care about lifting, why do people like that even go to the gym?

yup, sounds like he deserved what he got. i'm sure i would have done the same.

odix is offline Member
    this guy really got the shit end of the deadlift or squat.

http://poetry.rotten.com/weightlifter/

Quote Originally Posted by odix
    this guy really got the shit end of the deadlift or squat.

http://poetry.rotten.com/weightlifter/

damn you at least give me a warning.... LOL

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    mine was internal.

a couple years ago I wasnt breathing right while I was lifting heavy and doing a military press. later that night my voice got all high pitched and I was feeling pressure on my chest. Early in the morning the next day I woke up and had real trouble breathing. Drove myself to the ER and after hours of tests the doc told me I had an air pocket in the lining of my heart. Told me not to work out for a week otherwise it could kill me. He was pretty shocked to see it in me. He said they only normally see it in blast victims. The medical term for it is pheumomediastinum or pheumothorax or something...

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    mine was internal.

a couple years ago I wasnt breathing right while I was lifting heavy and doing a military press. later that night my voice got all high pitched and I was feeling pressure on my chest. Early in the morning the next day I woke up and had real trouble breathing. Drove myself to the ER and after hours of tests the doc told me I had an air pocket in the lining of my heart. Told me not to work out for a week otherwise it could kill me. He was pretty shocked to see it in me. He said they only normally see it in blast victims. The medical term for it is pheumomediastinum or pheumothorax or something...
    that sounds pretty freakin scary man! did you have to take any meds or did it go away on it's own?

odix is offline Member
    did you guys see that link ? WTF ?

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    I saw a 80lb bumb bell land on a toe in high school

Ok, seriously give people warnings on that shit. That was disgusting, and makes me never want to max out on any lift ever again. Im scared

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhriscerr
    Ok, seriously give people warnings on that shit. That was disgusting, and makes me never want to max out on any lift ever again. Im scared
    yea, i think i'll make today a light day, lmao

Thread Information