Thread: Boxing and MMA

ILuvTestEn is offline Associate Member

Boxing and MMA

With so many Mixed Martial Arts programs on television now like UFC and Pride Fighting, does anyone else out there find that regular boxing matches seem almost to slow paced and boring. I think younger people now would know Shamrock and Gracie before they would know Marciano and Frasier.

armbar83 is offline Senior Member
    i like both, boxing is such a pure sport to me in terms of technique. if you train, i think boxing can be more enjoyable to watch. its so methodical. i train mma, but its more of a jack of all trades sport. rarely do you see guys in mma that are technically enjoyable to watch. i think bj penn is one of the few. mma is more exciting for our instant feedback society. most u.s. fans dont appreciate groundwork though. maybe the next progression will bring us full circle and we will have barenuckle boxing.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    yea they are
    I have been doing jiu jitsu since 1997 and its funny how I changed..I used to love to watch boxing and thought grappling was boring but after doing it now boxing is boring and bjj is fun to watch. I started bjj about 4 years ago and it is like a chess match--just to clarify I first started the mma in 97 then went to traditional bjj 4 years ago--as you get older the beating on the body gets worse and now I enjoy the technical training--my instructor is unreal he is a black belt out of club Carlson Gracie
    Last edited by Tapout; 02-23-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    You need to watch pretty boy floyd more often. He's about as exciting a boxer as it gets. Though, that said, Remy Bonjaski and Crocop are my two favorite people to watch.

ILuvTestEn is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armbar83
    i like both, boxing is such a pure sport to me in terms of technique. if you train, i think boxing can be more enjoyable to watch. its so methodical. i train mma, but its more of a jack of all trades sport. rarely do you see guys in mma that are technically enjoyable to watch. i think bj penn is one of the few. mma is more exciting for our instant feedback society. most u.s. fans dont appreciate groundwork though. maybe the next progression will bring us full circle and we will have barenuckle boxing.
    you bring up a good point maybe the boxing commision will notice the drop in profits because of MMA and the next step will be to push for legalizing bareknuckle boxing

Rye_guy is offline Member
    Ive trained in MMA for probably about 8 years... I do personally enjoy both, however for me boxing isnt something I do enjoy watching on tv. has to be live or I have to be in the ring training myself.

Thread Information