Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

Playstation 3

I picked up a 60 gig PS3 over the weekend and I am very happy with it. Graphics look great, and smooth game play. I am not a huge gamer but I'm enjoying my free time playing games. I bought 3 games and went to the Sony Playstation store and downloaded all of the free demos.

I bought:
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance (fun to play online)
    Virtua Fighter 5 (a lot of fun!)
    Genji: Days of the Blade (sucks ass and I'm trying to figure away to return it. A waste of $60!)

Games I will buy:
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    MotoStorm
    Ridge Racer 7
    (Not sure what else is good)

One thing I noticed is the initial video setup is not very intuitive. If you set up the system using the auto default settings, the PS3 will output 480p (DVD quality) instead of HD. For someone who is not a home theater or HD buff I think the setup is confusing. There are lots of menus to navigate through to get it setup.

I signed up for Netflix and put about 20 blu-ray DVDs in my queue. Blu-ray movies look awesome. It looks a lot better than watching movies on Cablevision HD cable.

First 3 movies I got from Netflix:
    X-Men 3, The Last Stand
    Talladega Nights
    Employee of the Month

I’m happy using the PS3 as a blu-ray DVD player. It loads the discs pretty fast and the video looks good so I don’t see a reason right now to buy a dedicated blu-ray player.

Any of you guys have a PS3? I'd like to hear your opinions.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33
    Enjoy !
    Do you have one or plan to buy?

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Do you have one or plan to buy?
    My little nephew has one ... whenever I go over I'm forced to put him in his place when it comes to video games.

It's great though ... amazing graphics ... great gameplay.

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    I will buy one in March when Splinter Cell Double: Agent comes out. The only downside to the PS3 right now is there aren't any games I like out for it right now. I can't wait for Hitman 5 to come out. My favorite game series by far.

Also.
    John Carpenters Psychopath
    Clive Barkers Jericho
    Socom Navy seals 4
    Heavy Rain
    Silent Hill 5
    The Darkness
    Alone in the dark
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Fall of Liberty
    The getaway 3
    Eight Days

These are just a few of the games I am looking forward to.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Carlos, do you think there is alot of difference in dvd (non hd) vs. the new blue ray? Have you compared videos on different blu ray players too?

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    If you have the tv to support the Blue Ray Capabilities... It's basically the same difference you would notice from the first dvd players to the vcr IMO

Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    Carlos, do you think there is alot of difference in dvd (non hd) vs. the new blue ray? Have you compared videos on different blu ray players too?
    Blu-ray is high definition DVD. There is a big difference in quality to regular DVD. Do you have a high def TV?

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Blu-ray is high definition DVD. There is a big difference in quality to regular DVD. Do you have a high def TV?

No

manwithin is offline Associate Member
    I have a ps3 and I have been on netflix blu ray program for about 2 months now, it's tuff getting a blu ray movie from them they all seem to be short or long wait, but anyway some of the blu ray movies aren't the best PQ because it was rushed to market when it wasn't ready but now they are starting to get good... if you think xmen x3 looks good you have to rent crank best PQ by far. The Prestige is a great movie PQ on par with crank.... on the game side I only have RFOM and it's a good game I still play my 360 more, I'm not really liking the ps3 paddle it's too small and light plus no rumble! Love the blu ray though...

Quote Originally Posted by manwithin
    I have a ps3 and I have been on netflix blu ray program for about 2 months now, it's tuff getting a blu ray movie from them they all seem to be short or long wait, but anyway some of the blu ray movies aren't the best PQ because it was rushed to market when it wasn't ready but now they are starting to get good... if you think xmen x3 looks good you have to rent crank best PQ by far. The Prestige is a great movie PQ on par with crank.... on the game side I only have RFOM and it's a good game I still play my 360 more, I'm not really liking the ps3 paddle it's too small and light plus no rumble! Love the blu ray though...
    I just added Crank to my queue.

I just added Crank to my queue.
    I think netflix underestimated the blu ray player sales. They need to get more copies of blu ray movies.... let me know when you get it, I'm just curious on how long it takes.

NightTrain is offline Senior Member
    carlos i bought one like a month ago and i love it...... im almost finished with need for speed carbon.... excellent game..... i also have marvel alliance nd i have not tried playing on line yet.... so far thumbs up from me

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain
    carlos i bought one like a month ago and i love it...... im almost finished with need for speed carbon.... excellent game..... i also have marvel alliance nd i have not tried playing on line yet.... so far thumbs up from me
    If you want to play online tonight let me know. My name on the playstation network is rcarlonyc. What is yours? I'll add you as a buddy. I like the Marvel game but I like playing online a lot better. It's fun as hell to play with a 4 man team and my internet speed is fast enough to host the game.

Have you watched any blu-ray movies yet?

no blue rays as of yet......

and dude im game stupid i wouldnt even know how to hook up to the internet with the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by manwithin
    I think netflix underestimated the blu ray player sales. They need to get more copies of blu ray movies.... let me know when you get it, I'm just curious on how long it takes.
    Just checked my queue. When I first added X-Men 3 it showed as a short wait. I added it Tuesday, it shipped Wednesday and got here yesterday.

Crank - available now
    The Ant Bully - short wait
    Click - long wait
    Black Hawk Down - short wait
    Superman Returns - short wait
    Kingdom of Heaven - short wait

Netflix will let you have 3 movies at a time. If I send one back before watching the other 2 will they send another? Or do they wait till all 3 are back before sending 3 more?

no blue rays as of yet......

and dude im game stupid i wouldnt even know how to hook up to the internet with the PS3
    It's actually pretty easy. Do you have a router at home or wireless network? Or do you just have internet on one computer?

just internet on this computer, it is cable though so it should be realitively fast

just internet on this computer, it is cable though so it should be realitively fast
    All you need to do is buy a router. A router allows you share your high speed internet connection. Routers are pretty cheap to.

Buy this:

Belkin Wireless-G Router with 4-Port Switch $35
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099392876098

You plug your cable modem into the router and the router allows you to share the internet connection. Plug a cable from the router to your computer and a cable to the PS3 if it's near by. If your PS3 is in another room or you don't want wires running every where you can have it wirelessly connect to the router.

I've been reading the PS3 forums and people have said having the PS3 online is like opening up a whole new world. It's so much more fun to play with real people versus playing the game.

thanks for the info Carlos, im leaving for my new home next week so i will look into the router thingy, when i get to KY. and then maybe we can hook up and do some gaming

It seems like everyone on the board has an Xbox. The Xbox thread is like 3-5 pages.

thanks for the info Carlos, im leaving for my new home next week so i will look into the router thingy, when i get to KY. and then maybe we can hook up and do some gaming
    Sounds good.

no they don't wait till all of them are in.... if you send one movie back they will get it in one day and the next day they will ship out the next movie on your queue..

Just checked my queue. When I first added X-Men 3 it showed as a short wait. I added it Tuesday, it shipped Wednesday and got here yesterday.

Crank - available now
    The Ant Bully - short wait
    Click - long wait
    Black Hawk Down - short wait
    Superman Returns - short wait
    Kingdom of Heaven - short wait

Netflix will let you have 3 movies at a time. If I send one back before watching the other 2 will they send another? Or do they wait till all 3 are back before sending 3 more?

I just came from the store and picked up Resistance: Fall of Man and the Blu-ray remote control.

This is getting a little out of hand.

60 gig PS3 $599
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance $60
    Virtua Fighter 5 $60
    Genji: Days of the Blade $60
    Resistance: Fall of Man $60
    Remote control $25
    Netflix $17.99 a month

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    I picked up a 60 gig PS3 over the weekend and I am very happy with it. Graphics look great, and smooth game play. I am not a huge gamer but I'm enjoying my free time playing games. I bought 3 games and went to the Sony Playstation store and downloaded all of the free demos.

I bought:
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance (fun to play online)
    Virtua Fighter 5 (a lot of fun!)
    Genji: Days of the Blade (sucks ass and I'm trying to figure away to return it. A waste of $60!)

Games I will buy:
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    MotoStorm
    Ridge Racer 7
    (Not sure what else is good)

One thing I noticed is the initial video setup is not very intuitive. If you set up the system using the auto default settings, the PS3 will output 480p (DVD quality) instead of HD. For someone who is not a home theater or HD buff I think the setup is confusing. There are lots of menus to navigate through to get it setup.

I signed up for Netflix and put about 20 blu-ray DVDs in my queue. Blu-ray movies look awesome. It looks a lot better than watching movies on Cablevision HD cable.

First 3 movies I got from Netflix:
    X-Men 3, The Last Stand
    Talladega Nights
    Employee of the Month

I’m happy using the PS3 as a blu-ray DVD player. It loads the discs pretty fast and the video looks good so I don’t see a reason right now to buy a dedicated blu-ray player.

Any of you guys have a PS3? I'd like to hear your opinions.
    i just bought one about 3 weeks ago man i LOVE IT the two games i just bolded are amazing but the number one thing i love most is the long distance wireless remotes and internet play

Superhuman is offline Banned
    wow... I just have a PS2 and I never use it. If I ever play a game, I'll play Doom 3 or Red Alert 2 on my computer but that's it. If I bought a PS3 I would play it all day long and probably die of starvation lol, when I was a little kid my parents had to drag me away from the nintendo

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    wow... I just have a PS2 and I never use it. If I ever play a game, I'll play Doom 3 or Red Alert 2 on my computer but that's it. If I bought a PS3 I would play it all day long and probably die of starvation lol, when I was a little kid my parents had to drag me away from the nintendo
    You can play PS2 games on the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordfan01
    i just bought one about 3 weeks ago man i LOVE IT the two games i just bolded are amazing but the number one thing i love most is the long distance wireless remotes and internet play
    Yeah I just picked up the remote and Resistance fall of Man. What is your PNP Network name to play online?

Quote Originally Posted by Fordfan01
    yeah i love the wireless controllers they are great

ILuvTestEn is offline Associate Member
    My little bro has a PS3 with Call of Duty 3 and I was getting flashbacks of the war after playing it lol I thought the graphics looked great but I expect even more from the PS3 in the future

I'm hosting a marvel alliance game now.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    You must get fight night round 3. And hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    You must get fight night round 3. And hi.
    Damn another one? I've bought 4 this week. I'm gonna go broke!

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Id love one.. going to have to wait till they get cheaper though .. Unless I can get the Carlos discount :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Id love one.. going to have to wait till they get cheaper though .. Unless I can get the Carlos discount :wink:
    I bought mine retail. They're still not letting us use our employee discount on it.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I have done a bit of research and comparison and I will buy one but, not to play blu rays primiarily. I am going to have to wait until games come out that I am more interested in. I would barely use it if I bought it right now. I already have a 360 too and gears of war is keeping me entertained when I have spare time to spend on video games. The PS3 wouldn't keep me as busy I think.

Armored core looks badass but I am going to wait. Metal gear is gonna be great too and I just found out that you can download ps1 games onto the PSP either now, or eventually, which is cool IMO.

I think I will like the ps3 more once better games are out.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I'm hosting a marvel alliance game now.

how is that game carlos ?

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I only have Resistence right now. Awesome game, great graphics. I am waiting for the good games to come out. Virtua Fighter 5 didnt really attract me. Ive been spending most of my ps3 time on blu-ray dvd's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    how is that game carlos ?
    I'm enjoying the game. I read comics which makes the game more fun for me.

I'm enjoying the game. I read comics which makes the game more fun for me.
    yea i have just a regular xbox but i loved marvel so i have ultimate alliance, x-men legends 2 and x-men legends 1. the x-men legends are the same thing as the ultimate alliance but in legends one you can only play as the x-men and try to stop magneto and in legends 2 you can be both the x-men and magneto and other villains such as juggernaut to stop apocalypse...real fun games

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information