BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member

anyone organize a charity event?

my plan is to hold an event benefiting chilrens cancer research I havent yet picked the organization but have several at hand to chose from. I want to hold either an iron-man contest (benchpress 80% for reps/pullups #of reps/squats 60%reps/sit-ups 3 minutes) or a tug of war or a dodgball tourniment (would prefer dodgeball) I will be collecting monatary donations and also coupons or whatever businesses would contribute, also will speak to the newspaper and local radio to get coverage and perhaps a radio broadcast from there, a band/simple grilled foods or giveaways form local resturaunts/ t-shirt sale w/ event details and logo on it/ and prizes for the winners and general prize for competitors. my questions are where to start? I need to find a venue that is possibly public or free, find out if I need to purchase liability insurance for the event, figure out how much money it wil take to complete this and if i will need specific city/state permits for this, also how I will go about dealing with the financing if i need to get in touch w/ the IRS. oes anyone have any expierience w/ this?

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Feel free to use my web site as an example of the kinds of kids that this event will be helping dude. www.jazzywren.com And well done for giving this a go !!!!

man if i look at that site again Ill cry again, it is burned in my heart like a brand bro. You obviously realize that your story is the reason I am doing this.

ask your local council, they should be able to help. also maybe speak to an event planner, considering its charity im sure they would help.
    put an advert in the local paper, asking for businesses to help, speak to entertainers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTAPART2
    man if i look at that site again Ill cry again, it is burned in my heart like a brand bro. You obviously realize that your story is the reason I am doing this.
    I had a feeling that was the reason bro, thats why I am offering and I appreciate what you are doing immensely

bazerk is offline Associate Member
    If you are into motorcycles or maybe even cars I think a bikini wash draws alot of attention. I know dealers would love to help out, plus the free advertising and crowd wouldn't hurt their business. Just a thought.

bikini washes are great but i am trying to keep this family oriented but that sounds like an idea for later in the summer!! also I am wondering how to handle it if it rains???

The only charity even I was part of was for the Childrens Cancer Institute of Australia. I had to speak in front of 1400 people about what happened to my daughter, that was a daunting experience let me tell you. That was actually a Luncheon and they ran a sports memorabilia auction and had a few celebrities there, I think they raised about 100 grand from memory.

wow! i am friends with a prominate nascar driver (like a very famouse one) with a very hot wife. and hopefully he can sign some things for me to auction or even make an apperance but nascar has rights on his damn sigature!! crazy so i may just get some of the carolina panthers to sign jerseys or footbals etc. they are really cool about that stuff in the community. I would like to have parents and children given an opprotunity to speak about their own stories regarding cancer and the impact it has on us. My biggest concern now is just the weather that day and permits/insurance..I think I will get a hold of the parks and recreation dept in my town and see what i need to do to get the event held at the park on the fields. but god if it rained it would be spoiled. I guess i can research the weather from the past years on a specific week to see if it is prone to rain or what? keep ideas comin guys..thank you!

bazerk is offline Associate Member
    Bitt, you might even want to look into an co-ed softball tournament. Sounds like a great day too.

Homer 8 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    I had a feeling that was the reason bro, thats why I am offering and I appreciate what you are doing immensely

Bro that did bring a tear to my eye, im real sorry for your loss there just aint the right words to say to you..

Mizfit is offline Banned
    In all seriousness -

This is part of what i do for a living.

you need to find a place first after deciding what charity you want to donate to and find out what type of permits are necessary for the venue. some venues have the necessary permits, if such events happen there often while in more public events, you need permits for noise, drinking, food, stopping cars..

The list goes on.

Alot of organizations are not as willing to donate funds to fly by nite operations and tend to donate to more developed causes with a reputation of success and trust, but because this is your first you might have to look harder for organizations willing to give to the cause.

Thread Information