Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

Anyone familiar with the late great Joseph Campbell?

Mythologist Joseph Campbell was the author of "Hero with a thousand faces" -a must read for English majors. The respected journalist Bill Moyers helped popularize Campbells work with the Myth and Symbol series which is often aired on PBS. Campell was a charming and gifted story teller and his literary interpretations are influenced by Psychoanalysis and Buddhist philosophy. The myth and symbol series was also formated to book form which makes for a good beach read. I'm sure there is someone out there in steroid land who reads this stuff. I recommend it for any curious type out there.

I guess not! Well go out and read it damn it! Hey, there's more to life than just being sexy, angular, well-contoured bodybuilders. Just kidding.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    I watched all his videos on myths when I was a little kid with my father, we would always go rent them at blockbuster. I keep a pretty open mind but a lot of the stuff he talked about conflicted with my Christian beliefs

I've watched them too and I can't see how it conflicts with Christianity. On the other hand, I could easily see how they may conflict with your interpretation of Christianity. A literal-minded interpretation of the bible is much different than reading something with a sense of the symbolic.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    I watched all his videos on myths when I was a little kid with my father, we would always go rent them at blockbuster. I keep a pretty open mind but a lot of the stuff he talked about conflicted with my Christian beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    I've watched them too and I can't see how it conflicts with Christianity. On the other hand, I could easily see how they may conflict with your interpretation of Christianity. A literal-minded interpretation of the bible is much different than reading something with a sense of the symbolic.
    well he talks about how the story of Moses floating in the river parallels many other religions/tribal beliefs and that is is just a metaphor as is nearly every other story in the bible.

I liked how he went over Star Wars with George Lucas and all of the religious overtones (or undertones?) in the movie.

I think it was presented as more than just the bible as literature. I think it was spiritual too. But spiritual in this context is defined as an experience: the openness and the sense of awe to the mystery of existence. There will always be limits to what can be known and one can never put "knowing" one- down to raw experience. Incidentally, you gook like you got some good thickness going. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    well he talks about how the story of Moses floating in the river parallels many other religions/tribal beliefs and that is is just a metaphor as is nearly every other story in the bible.

Thread Information