Jiesel is offline Associate Member

How do you feel about spots?

Long story short, IMPO spots are for pussies unless your doing a max rep. Not in all cases but in most, I don't think you should be doing the weight for more then 1-3 reps needing a spot, or your spot should only need to do 2/10th's of the work at max. Kinda pissed cause I got in a heated argument with my gym partner cause I quit spotting him on barbell curls cause I was doing 8/10th of the workout. He thinks you should always have a spot so you can get more weight, I think quite opposite, If you do what you can handle and have correct form then you'll be better off in the long run, vs Lifting more weight then you can handle using a spot your likely to get hurt or your spot will.

How do you guys feel bout spots, how often do you use them?

TolVlo is offline Junior Member
    I never use a spotter... but I def don't think it's for pussies. A spotter can help with that last rep which is probably the most important of all reps

Re-reading your post though, a spotter shouldn't help at all unless you need it.
    When I'm a spotter, I don't even touch the bar until I see that vein bulging out their forehead

Jiesel is offline Associate Member
    I dont really mean a spotter is for pussies, I dont wanna offend anyone, more or less what I mean is If your relying on the spotter to get the weight up, you shouldnt be doing that much weight.....

I only use a spot when going for a max, other then that I dont use spots. In 5 months I'v Increased my bench press 40lbs doing things that way, so Im happy with that.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    To answer the original question

All spotters are not created equal!

I've got one regular workout partner and then a fill in for those nights my partner lays out on me. The second spotter almost killed me last night when I was trying to max and he bumped the flat bench bar with his body not paying attention.

Try having 8 plates and some change crashing down on you!

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    @this thread

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    damn nark ur lookin pretty swole.

back to the subject, i dont use sportter that much but theres none worse than a bad spotter, someone who helps either too much or too early

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    In my experience i always lift more or get an extra rep out with a spotter there. even if they dont touch the bar once, the ability to just let go completely and give it all i have w/o fear of failure mid-rep helps out a lot. you say you shouldnt need a spot unless you are in the 1-3 rep range? what if you train to failure? a spotter would be essential in this situation.

Receiver84 is offline Associate Member
    I work out alone and hate it. Having a spotter allows you to do forced reps at the end. I grow and get stronger much faster when I have someone to push me beyond the point of failure. Everyone does.

Big Drez is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer#3
    damn nark ur lookin pretty swole.

back to the subject, i dont use sportter that much but theres none worse than a bad spotter, someone who helps either too much or too early
    I was thinkin' the same damn thing....

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    its about moving forward... and exceeding the level at which you can perform a rep without screwing with your posture can be done correctly with a spotter. no reason to sacrifice good form for a crap last rep.

hardgainer1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiesel
    Long story short, IMPO spots are for pussies unless your doing a max rep. Not in all cases but in most, I don't think you should be doing the weight for more then 1-3 reps needing a spot, or your spot should only need to do 2/10th's of the work at max. Kinda pissed cause I got in a heated argument with my gym partner cause I quit spotting him on barbell curls cause I was doing 8/10th of the workout. He thinks you should always have a spot so you can get more weight, I think quite opposite, If you do what you can handle and have correct form then you'll be better off in the long run, vs Lifting more weight then you can handle using a spot your likely to get hurt or your spot will.

How do you guys feel bout spots, how often do you use them?
    is this a joke?

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Receiver84
    I work out alone and hate it. Having a spotter allows you to do forced reps at the end. I grow and get stronger much faster when I have someone to push me beyond the point of failure. Everyone does.
    I agree totally with this. At first I get the spotter to put his hands under but not touching and I can get it up sometimes. I guess it is a mental thing.

slob is offline Member
    id rather have someone there to help me lift that last 1 or 2 reps when I can't get it all the way to the end of the movement than sit there trying to be harry the hardc*nt trying 2 lift it myself and risk injury. Train the muscle- not the ego

scaramouche is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardgainer1
    is this a joke?
    no i dont think so,but what strikes me as funny is what some ppl use a spotter for,imo its a safety net unless u are doing specific forced reps as part of ur workout,if i ask a guy to spot me that i dont know too well i give clear instructions,do not touch the fukin bar unless i say so

i only use a spotter for benching and sometimes squats on the last set if i can find 2 willing guys

ive seen guys who spot eachother on every fukin set of everthing and yes they r huge pussies

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Well its official guys. Because I try to exhaust my muscles to the fullest and have my partner assist me on my last couple reps and do some negative work I AM A PUSSY.
    Sorry for all you guys that thought I wasnt a pussy all along, Im a disappointment...I quit AR.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I don't care much for forced reps... but training cycles change and I'm always trying new things... but most of the time, I don't do them...

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    Well its official guys. Because I try to exhaust my muscles to the fullest and have my partner assist me on my last couple reps and do some negative work I AM A PUSSY.
    Sorry for all you guys that thought I wasnt a pussy all along, Im a disappointment...I quit AR.

lol!!

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't like forced reps much, and i like spotters that i don't know even less.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    If it's some random guy in the gym that I'm asking for a spot.
    .I just say "don't help unless the bar stops moving"
    Haven't had any problems ever.

scaramouche is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    well i did say unless u r doing specific forced reps as part of ur workout so im sorry i dont think u qualify as a pussy,i know setbacks can be heartbreaking but ull just have to stay on ar till u become a proper pussy like the guys at my gym

seriously u would agree if u ever saw them,using weights they dont have a hope in hell of doing 1 rep without asistance on every exercise

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    when u tear ur pec.. on a light set of 365.. please.. CALL ME A PUSSY I DARE YOU!

maxex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    In my experience i always lift more or get an extra rep out with a spotter there. even if they dont touch the bar once, the ability to just let go completely and give it all i have w/o fear of failure mid-rep helps out a lot. you say you shouldnt need a spot unless you are in the 1-3 rep range? what if you train to failure? a spotter would be essential in this situation.
    I always thought were supposed to train to failure every single set.

maxex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    when u tear ur pec.. on a light set of 365.. please.. CALL ME A PUSSY I DARE YOU!
    There is no such thing as a "light" set of 365

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I cant disagree with you more. I love having a spotter but it has to be a spotter that allows me to do the weight then just help when I need it.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maxex
    There is no such thing as a "light" set of 365
    when u work with like 500+ there is..lol

Ive done the same thing...Was like 60-70 lbs under max and kept straining pec

I hate flat bench with a passion anyway

chest6 is offline Banned
    But to your original post...

I see no point in having a spotter if he is moving the majority of the weight. I see guys that are doing flat bench and the spotter has his hands on the bar lifting the weight each rep.

Forced reps are a different story...I will do 5-6 reps and then do 1-2 forced reps maybe afterwards like Bino stated. Negatives is another story too.

But when you see guys that just dont know what theyre doing and their spotter is lifting half the weight, it is pretty funny.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    I fail to see the correlation between doing forced reps and negatives, which are impossible without a spotter, and being a pussy...

Gayest thread ever? - Maybe!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I almost never go to failure and I can do my heavy 1-3 rep work in the rack. But I sure would like a spotter anyway. A spotter is like a belt, you can push yourself a bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kärnfysikern
    I almost never go to failure and I can do my heavy 1-3 rep work in the rack. But I sure would like a spotter anyway. A spotter is like a belt, you can push yourself a bit harder.
    Actually, I can't. I like the idea that I might get crsuhed if I don't hit my target rep count. When people try and run over to spot me; I lose concentration and my motivation deflates...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Actually, I can't. I like the idea that I might get crsuhed if I don't hit my target rep count. When people try and run over to spot me; I lose concentration and my motivation deflates...
    I get much more aware of how close to failure I am and rack the weight instead of pushing it. So I guess I am a pussy

But I HATE beeing spotted by someone I dont know. No matter how well you explain how you want to be spotted those assholes do the exact opposit.

I dont know how many times I have tried to explain that when I am tired and give the call just yank the bar up and rack it. Its not ****ing brain surgery, yet they always just give the bar a little nod thinking I want to strain it up.

Then you got the other extrem morons that just yank it up when you make the first grunting sound without even calling yet.

Either I have a solid training partner or I work alone in the rack, that keeps my bloodpressure down

Unless it is for negatives - I usually just tell them to stay away - like a few steps away - unless I stop in a static hold... if that happens then jump in and help me re-rack it before I burn out. Static failure is pretty flippin' close to absolute failure, aka - shizzles about to fall my nizzle!

But under most training cycles I follow a target rep count. For instance, if I do 405, 5 reps for 5 sets (sometimes using time as a variable too)... next time I need to add weight and keep the reps the same or add another rep... either way, I know what I need to do to be progressive... and I don't count forced reps as a gain in strength and do tend to even go there, since it is not counted it's only delaying reovery for my next opportunity to gain. That's my mind set. I know many might think that the added trauma of forced reps might help them - but it only keep me spinning my wheels...

yeah, until u have had a bar stuck on ur chest .. u shudnt be allowed to post in this thread! lol
    actually there is nothing more embarrasing than having the weight stuck on ya.. i remmeber diong burnouts w/ 225.. my partner is like "nah... my bak hurts im not touching that" LOL so i sat there for like 3 minutes w/ ****ing 225 on my chest lau***ng.. kuz the harder i pushed.. the less the ****ing weight moved! ><

chest6 is offline Banned
    thats happened to me too w burnouts

so embarrassing..ppl look over and theyre like wtf? what a weeny

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    thats happened to me too w burnouts

so embarrassing..ppl look over and theyre like wtf? what a weeny
    yep.. and u cant threatin ur work out partner either..
    "get this shit off me or ima gonna stab you!"
    "ur gunna stab me even if i do get this off u"

chest6 is offline Banned
    lol yep. Once my w/o partner had an evil plan. He put clips on when I wasn't looking. I tried to dump the weight off and it wouldnt go...man that hurt

Tai - try having that happen when your spotter can't speak English. I had this happen while serving with NATO in the Balkans... the German soldier that tried to help me hardly spoke any English and was prying the bar over my neck while trying to "help"! I had asked him for a spot prior but he let me hold too long in the static position and my strength flatlined...

Moments like these - which we all have too many to reflect on - remind us how gravity can get the best of us at any moment... but that's what makes it so fuking hardcore!

Thread Information