Thread: Nutrition Major

K.Biz is offline Banned

Nutrition Major

I wanna become a nutritionist to add to my knowledge as a personal trainer.

How do you go about becoming a nutritionist? where are some good schools for it? im very interested in the whole thing, and would like to do it for a living

samoth is offline Member
    Look for other names of programs outside of "Nutrition Major" as well, as keywords such as exercise, physiology, health, and biomechanics can often be used in conjunction for these lesser-known programs.

Universities to look into would be the big-name publics, such as OSU, UT, PSU, and pretty much any university with 30K+ students.

The college admissions discussion board www.collegeconfidential.com might be of some help. Just keep in mind that this is a major that isn't very common, even at large publics. Checking out university's official web sites and doing a search for some key terms would yield results, too.

HTH

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    I was a dietetics major, and I hated it. We covered a lot of food science (lots of cooking), food sanitation and quality assurance(this wasn't bad), Quantity food preperation, food service management, etc. Definetly not the area I was wanting to get into. So if you're looking to go into nutrition, I'd stay clear of dietetics.

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    it doesnt matter what major you choose, you will have to take some bullshit courses to get the degree.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ Yeah, thats why id invest like a couple hundred bucks into a nutritionist certification, I gonna guess you already have a good idea on what to advise people on as far as diet,

your choice though. Pros vs Cons I guess

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    OSU ftw!

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    I think becoming a registered dietitian is the ONLY way to go if you want to get into nutrition seriously and work as it. Sports nutrition is a relatively new specialty area for RD's. Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist, but the RD's credentials are nationally recognized. Now there are more and more RD's becoming sports dietitians. It is a hard undertaking though. Aside from a degree, you have to do an internship and you have to pass the RD board exam. My 'Sports Nutrition' classes are very interesting and I'm learning a lot, but they are tough.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Biz
    I wanna become a nutritionist to add to my knowledge as a personal trainer.

How do you go about becoming a nutritionist? where are some good schools for it? im very interested in the whole thing, and would like to do it for a living
    Just read your post again, and if you want to do it for a living, you really need to be a registered dietitian. There are a lot of people who may be 'nutrition smart' but when it comes to working in this area as a living, only a RD is taken seriously. The major you choose has to meet the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) requirements set by the CADE (commission on accreditation of dietetics education). Check out the american dietetic association website. Like someone else said, there will always be classes in a degree program that you dont enjoy, but oh well, just do em. Then when you do your internship, choose somewhere that is sport related, like a college, or a HAWC, etc and keep involved in sports. To see some jobs in the career field, check out:

www.eatright.org
    www.scandpg.org
    www.acsm.org
    www.jobsindietetics.com
    www.nsca-lift.org

Hope this helps.
    max

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobie-BOY
    it doesnt matter what major you choose, you will have to take some bullshit courses to get the degree.
    I forgot to mention my advisor who's also a RD, was a 300lb psycho, that couldn't teach a monkey to peel a banana. So yeah, definetly didn't enjoy it.

Thread Information