Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RaidersFan is offline Junior Member

Drinking and working out

I was wondering how bad drinking fvcks with your gains. One of my buddies told me that beer doesnt screw your gains as much as hard alcohal does i wanted to know becasue i usually drink 1-2 times a week and wanted to know if it would have a negative effect on my gains. Thanks

Titleist is offline Senior Member
    It all ***ends on the extent of your drinking. If you are getting hammered all the time, it's going to be counter-productive to your training. Drinking in moderation is the key. If you are responsible and don't over-indulge you will be fine.

AnabolicErick is offline Junior Member
    Are you on a cycle? i hope not

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    in my opinion drinking is one of the absolute worste things for your gains there is...for the first couple years i worked out i drank every weekend..usually friday saturday..3 months after i quit i had 20 inch arms and broke 2 canadian records..the difference was ****in crazy. when your muscles are dominantly composed of water, and you are abusing a diuretic..the results are pretty straight forward. what ive learned is drinking here and there in moderation is ok..but bein a weekend warrior with the bottle cuts your progress in the gym bigtime

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by RaidersFan
    I was wondering how bad drinking fvcks with your gains. One of my buddies told me that beer doesnt screw your gains as much as hard alcohal does i wanted to know becasue i usually drink 1-2 times a week and wanted to know if it would have a negative effect on my gains. Thanks
    beer has alcohol

AnabolicErick is offline Junior Member
    and if you are underage be very careful and have some kid that wants to be in
    "the in crowd" drive

RaidersFan is offline Junior Member
    ya i usually gett pretty drunk friday and maybe saturday i havent really notice to much of a strength decrease im not on cycle im thinking about not drinking as much cuz i want to put on anothe 10 lbs

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Beer is usually worse than liquor.

I never drink, but if I have a glass, it's usually rum + diet ****.

Drinking 1-2 times per week can definitely hinder gains. Not only is the beer bad for your diet, but numerous studies have shown that alcohol can lower protein absorbtion.

lpicken is offline Associate Member
    Don't drink and cycle. Period. First off beer and alcohol will only add extra bloat and empty calories that you don't need/want. Second, you when are on a cycle you need to be 110% focused and alcohol interferes with ones focus. Give it your all for 90 days and see what happens. I bet you the beers, bars and broads will be there when you are done.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpicken
    Don't drink and cycle. Period. First off beer and alcohol will only add extra bloat and empty calories that you don't need/want. Second, you when are on a cycle you need to be 110% focused and alcohol interferes with ones focus. Give it your all for 90 days and see what happens. I bet you the beers, bars and broads will be there when you are done.

Great post !

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by lpicken
    I dont know but i dont go to the gym on sat night. I can regain my focus by Monday. Your not preforming surgery.

You are right about the last part but no what I'm never competing i dont want to go pro. So I'm not sacrificing the other things i enjoy hoping i gain extra pound of muscle at the end of my cycle. I'll choose the Blondie with the big fake tits over the maybe 3 oz of muscle i didn't gain that night.

I have always gone out and lived my life as I normally do while on. And i dont regret it. I can understand peoples reasoning behind it but dont you think if you dont go out while on cycle then you start going out once its done in the end the results will really be the same.

Foskamink is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I dont know but i dont go to the gym on sat night. I can regain my focus by Monday. Your not preforming surgery.

You are right about the last part but no what I'm never competing i dont want to go pro. So I'm not sacrificing the other things i enjoy hoping i gain extra pound of muscle at the end of my cycle. I'll choose the Blondie with the big fake tits over the maybe 3 oz of muscle i didn't gain that night.

I have always gone out and lived my life as I normally do while on. And i dont regret it. I can understand peoples reasoning behind it but dont you think if you dont go out while on cycle then you start going out once its done in the end the results will really be the same.
    good post

x_moe is offline Anabolic Member
    i quit drinking 3 yrs ago, i feel great and very proud of myself.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Genetics go a long way with anything of this nature.
    Like my older brother drinks every weekend (usually somewhere in between being "buzzed" and being "drunk")
    But mon thru fri hes in the gym busting his ass and eating right and hes in EXCELLENT shape and always has been.
    I'm not sure how he does it so consistently and every monday just jumps right back into his routine but its never been a prob for him.
    Me on the other hand, I drink maybe 1/10 as much as he does, bust my ass in the gym and eat as good as I possibly can and I'm still and always have been a little twig in comparison.
    Which is why Im dying for this test to kick in because Im hoping I can finally break through some of my genetic limitations and finally get some decent size going on.
    All and all I would recommend dont drink at all if you have the will power.. I just never really had the will power like that and admire those who do.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    alcohol ****s with RNA big time.......Thus, alcohol messes with your bodies ability to synthesize new proteins, later today, I am going to post a great link on this, it will have all the answers

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    alcohol ****s with RNA big time.......Thus, alcohol messes with your bodies ability to synthesize new proteins, later today, I am going to post a great link on this, it will have all the answers
    We all know this but how much does not synthesizing protein for 1 night make a difference. That's the real question.

Like i said i live my life like i want to. If that means i drink a sat and Sun her or there then fine. Are you telling me that its hurting my gains that bad? So what would i look like Carlos if i just quit drinking?

Its like the media saying aas is bad for your liver. Well yes some are but it there is more to it then that.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into going out. I'm just saying if your not going pro or competing i dont think you HAVE to give up other things you like doing.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    We all know this but how much does not synthesizing protein for 1 night make a difference. That's the real question.

Like i said i live my life like i want to. If that means i drink a sat and Sun her or there then fine. Are you telling me that its hurting my gains that bad? So what would i look like Carlos if i just quit drinking?

Its like the media saying aas is bad for your liver. Well yes some are but it there is more to it then that.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into going out. I'm just saying if your not going pro or competing i dont think you HAVE to give up other things you like doing.

Here is everything you need to know about alcohol.....part 1 and part 2

comprehensive stuff..... http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=173684

Gixxer- only you know how much drinking affects you....Personally, muscle and strength gains are not affected by me, however, I cant keep my bodyfat under control when i drink regularly, I have to oustubborn myself if I want to look good basically......shitty deal, but being highbodyfat makes me more ***ressed than being bummed out that I cant drink
    Last edited by IronReload04; 05-15-2007 at 11:37 AM.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Its not about how bad drinking is on gains, its about having the mental disipline to say no.

I choose to not drink on weekends, I also look better than 95% of the gym members at my gym. Its not because they go out and I dont, its because I can say no to drinking just like I say no to fast food, and yes to a structured plan to achive the body I want.

if I went out twice a week and drank would I look the same, probably, but I wouldnt feel as proud of my results if I did, because there will always be that thought in my head of "I could of done more"

Quote Originally Posted by MFT81
    Its not about how bad drinking is on gains, its about having the mental disipline to say no.

I choose to not drink on weekends, I also look better than 95% of the gym members at my gym. Its not because they go out and I dont, its because I can say no to drinking just like I say no to fast food, and yes to a structured plan to achive the body I want.

if I went out twice a week and drank would I look the same, probably, but I wouldnt feel as proud of my results if I did, because there will always be that thought in my head of "I could of done more"
    I can respect that point of view

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    before I edited my post I did say I agreed with you, I can respect your POV as well....

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    edit for safety***
    Last edited by thegodfather; 09-26-2007 at 10:48 AM.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    I usually drink once a week, ad I've noticed no negative effects... And yes, I get plastered, but it's only for one night... I'm taking Creatine and I'm on PCT and I'm still going up in weight...

mistake

A couple of studies have looked at alcohol and exercise. 1.5g/kg ***ressed testosterone by more than 20% by 1 hour and was still ***ressed by the same margin at hour 10 ( 37 ). Interestingly, when the same ethanol dose was preceded by an exercise session, the suppressive effect continued for 22 hours -- and when exercise was performed during a hangover, significant suppression ( 21-32% ) vs. ethanol alone continued for 26 hours. Compared to control, both ethanol groups had significantly lower testosterone levels for 42 hours - this is almost 2 full days. A much smaller intake (.83g/kg) did not result in a significant decrease ( 35 ).

i think 1.5 g/kg is 10 drinks for a 200 pound guy

SubmissionGrappler is offline Associate Member
    on the weekends not in excess
    should be fine imo/experience..

is it good for you? No
    will it make a drastic difference? No

all things in moderation is the key to happy/healthy life

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're out drinking every night and just getting massively distroyed all the time, then thats a problem. But to go out and have a couple of drinks here and there is no big deal IMO. To say that if you're on a cycle and you shouldnt go out and have a drink here and there is just plain stupid IMO. It may not be the best thing for you but one night here and there isnt going to hurt you.

i dont see a problem with moderate drinking or even getting hammered once a week,
    arnold said himself,him and his mates used to take a keg of beer into the forest and squat all night till they ran out of beer.
    jay cutler also said in an interview he drinks way too much red wine.

correct me if im wrong but they have both held the mr olympia title and they still drank during that period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so if it hindered your gains so much why did they bother?

id rather have fun and enjoy my life,than get overly obsessed with bbing.im not a proffesional athlete and dont wanna look back in 10 yrs and say iv had a boring life but atleast my body looked good.lol

Thread Information