Thread: Opening a gym?

skr0w is offline Associate Member

Opening a gym?

I was wondering if I can get some advice on opening a gym. I don't have any money to put down, but I have the work ethic to make it suceede. I looking at something small maybe around 5000-10,000 square feet. I'd like it to be more of a hardcore gym but realistically I know the money is to be made in the cardio aspect.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

bicepts is offline Banned
    juice bag gym lol

scaramouche is offline Senior Member
    make sure u resaerch ur client base nuthin worse than a gym with no members

do we get discounted membership

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    You need to come up with a business plan, or you could have a college kid do it for you for cheap. Without that, good luck getting a loan. Good cardio machines are expensive and require regular maintenance. Cheap cardio machines break down all the time.

There is excellent money to be made in the personal training side of things. Why not consider a personal training studio? If I were in the states, I don't think I'd want to own a gym. You've got to compete with all the corporate chains, which is gonna be tough. For a good location you're going to be paying a lot in rent. Expenses would be pretty high compared to where I am at. On the other hand, a PT studio would cost less to operate and you can still make a lot of money.

It's great to do something you love, so if you can make this happen then I am sure you'll be happy about it. If you've got any more questions, just ask.
    Last edited by ginkobulloba; 09-04-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    I am a part owner of a gym that's pretty much hardcore, but we get everyone coming in. Without any money, there won't be a gym, so that's kinda important. Do you have rich family members you can ask for help? That's the easiest and best way to get a loan.

You need to come up with a business plan, or you could have a college kid do it for you for cheap. Without that, good luck getting a loan. Good cardio machines are expensive and require regular maintenance. Cheap cardio machines break down all the time.

There is excellent money to be made in the personal training side of things. Why not consider a personal training studio? If I were in the states, I don't think I'd want to own a gym. You've got to compete with all the corporate chains, which is gonna be tough. For a good location you're going to be paying a lot in rent. Expenses would be pretty high compared to where I am at. On the other hand, a PT studio would cost less to operate and you can still make a lot of money.

It's great to do something you love, so if you can make this happen then I am sure you'll be happy about it. If you've got any more questions, just ask.
    I was actually thinking about a pt studio. I actually free lance train one woman now for 35 dollars an hour, but would love to open up my own pt studio. There is nothing like it around my area and I'd be the first.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    hardcore gyms dont make money.

crazycrab is offline Associate Member
    If there is a will there is a way!!! Good luck on the gym. You can do it if you willing put the time in.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrab
    If there is a will there is a way!!! Good luck on the gym. You can do it if you willing put the time in.
    Thanks for the vote of cofidence. It just sucks that there is no money to be made in the hardcore gym buisness anymore. I might go the PT studio route. Is there good money to be made there?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by skr0w
    Thanks for the vote of cofidence. It just sucks that there is no money to be made in the hardcore gym buisness anymore. I might go the PT studio route. Is there good money to be made there?
    There is absolutely no money in a hardcore gym. Especially a new one.

PT studio's can do well. But again you need to build a client base first. I sell fitness equipment. The stuff isnt cheap. And nobody is going to pay good money to go to a place with crappy equipment

Thread Information