jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member

Took my daughter to the gym today.

She lives with her mom and I don't get to see her as much as I want to so this was a great way for us to spend time together. She's 13 now and has been asking me to take her to the gym with me. She had a blast starting out on the rock climber, then we did a warm-up on the ellipticals. After that we went upstairs and hit some of the machines. I gave her a total body workout doing a circuit so she could try everything. I wasn't really sure how much she should do so I kept it light. After she was done I did my back and bi routine and she was still going, trying every machine in the place. It was like Disney Land for her. She's such a little jock. This year in school she broke the record for the 100 yard dash, 200 and 400 yard relay, chin ups and sit-ups outdoing even the boys. She also got the award for athlete of the year at graduation. She's going out for field hockey and track this year. She's already made red belt in karate and she's in gymnastics too. If she starts training now I'm sure we're looking at a possible athletic scholarship. Sorry for bragging on. I'm just a very proud Dad.

SMAN12b is offline Educate B4 U Medicate
    Sounds like you got a lot to be proud of ! At her age I would def keep the weights light and the reps high as her bones and joints are still developing !!

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    man if only my gf was like that have to beg her to come to the gym.. even telling her she is getting fat isnt working. But glad to see some women/girls find it important.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude, that sounds great. I don't think there is anything more important than having a connection like that with your children. I don't have any, but I hope I will be able to do that with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAN12B
    Sounds like you got a lot to be proud of ! At her age I would def keep the weights light and the reps high as her bones and joints are still developing !!
    Yeah I'm gonna def. have to look into what kind of exercising she should be doing. She's really into this and she wants to make it a regular thing for us to do every week. At least during the summer anyway. I can get her a student membership for 3 months or just pay for individual days. Any ideas where I should start looking for some training guidelines for adolescent girls that she can start with? I'm not gonna have her doing squats or anything ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy
    Yeah I'm gonna def. have to look into what kind of exercising she should be doing. She's really into this and she wants to make it a regular thing for us to do every week. At least during the summer anyway. I can get her a student membership for 3 months or just pay for individual days. Any ideas where I should start looking for some training guidelines for adolescent girls that she can start with? I'm not gonna have her doing squats or anything ya know.
    There isn't any truth to the old "it'll stunt their bones" crap. Start her light, and increase intensity to a level where she is making gains.

Squats are fine bud.

SMAN12b is offline Educate B4 U Medicate
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    There isn't any truth to the old "it'll stunt their bones" crap. Start her light, and increase intensity to a level where she is making gains.

Squats are fine bud.

Not worried so much about stunting bones as I am the connective tissue of the joints by adding to much resistance to them while growing.....

Quote Originally Posted by SMAN12B
    Not worried so much about stunting bones as I am the connective tissue of the joints by adding to much resistance to them while growing.....
    Stunting connective tissue? I don't think it'll be a problem.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 06-30-2007 at 11:21 PM.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Dude, that's awesome! As a fellow father, I hope my kids will want to go to the gym with me one day and lift. I can't wait 'till my son is old enough to start squatting, benching, and deadlifting. He's gonna be the biggest Japanese American kid ever!

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    That's awesome! And by all means, BRAG! lol I'm happy for you

scaramouche is offline Senior Member
    my kids come to the gym for the vending machines in the lobby,dammit they cottoned on quick

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    thats wicked man..my little sis could use a lesson or 2 from your daughter..shes the same age, and lives off pizza pockets and video games. its awesome to see kids that age interesting in something productive and important..sounds like she has a promising future in athletics.

jsf sapper is offline New Member
    Man that's great, cherish every moment I miss mine like crazy, I havent seen mine in six months. But thats what being a soldier does to you, I hope I can bond with my children like that. Please cherish every moment

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i usually hate to seee young kids in the gym...unless thay are there to learnb like your daughter is, at least she is there for a reason most of the time they come and just wanna hang out and get in the way...it is awesome when they come to learn and by all means man brag away....only 2 things i would like to say is make sure you donbt push to hard or she will hate it, like my dad did with sports i started to feel it was no fun, let her enjoy it....second is get some advice on how to train her cause at her age i would think she would need some special help being her joints and tendons are still growing...just my 2 cents man....you are very lucky to have a child that enjoys the things you do....dont ever apologize for that...

I agree with ya WEBB 100%. This was her idea to start going with me. I wasn't even sure how it would work out. She just seems to love physical activites. I'm hesistant to even call it training. More like exercise. My buddy is a certified trainer and he said circuit training is best for her and to keep it at 1 set per body part with higher reps but with minimal resistance. If she starts telling me she's sore the next day I think maybe she's doing too much. I think with the sports she wants to play that the cardio training will be even better for her. I just like that fact that she wants to be there with me and at the end of the day she says "Daddy I had fun." That's all that really matters to me. We're probably only going to get to do this once a week.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome! I bet it feels awesome to have this between the two of you. I'm sure it's nice to have this bond with her especially since you don't see her as much as you would like to. Oh, and 'TheTank' Pizza Pockets are the shit so BACK OFFFFFFFFF!

nbkandrew13 is offline Member
    yeah mines younger but this year she beat every boy and girl in the hundred and the forty shes got long legs shes 9 i dont let her do anything but run and swim those little boys were shocked and of course shes mine so shes talkin trash fast white girl

Yeah mine has my genetics too. Long legs, lean and muscular. She's blonde on top of it. I'm gonna have my hands full in the coming years.
    They actually made her stop at 16 chinups. I'm not sure if it was because she had already beaten the record at 16 or they just didn't want her making the boys look stupid. The record for boys was 16 too. I can't even do 16.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    whutchya gunna do when she starts askin if she can take your dbol inplace of birthcontrol?

i already told my little blonde that she can date when tazz her pitbull approves of a boy that should keep me safe tii shes 20

i figuure between the pitbull an american bulldog, my wife beater and shoulder holster and the fact that i look like the devil should keep the little bastards away from my door for awhile, i love that scene from badboys 2 when that kid comes to pick up his daughter

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    whutchya gunna do when she starts askin if she can take your dbol inplace of birthcontrol?
    That's funny cause when we were done at the gym she's like Daddy, I'm hungry. I feel like havin a steak.

Thread Information