notus is offline Member

1992 GSX750F Katanas is it a good bike?

I was thinking about getting one. The one I am looking at is in good condition and has 25,000 miles on it. They are asking $2200.00 is that reasonable?

Thanks for the help guys.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Would this be your first bike? The Katana's were good bikes, heavy by today's standards but still fun to ride. The biggest unknown with a used bike is if they put 25000 miles on it, had the oil changed every few thousand miles, valves adjusted as needed, and kept up with all routine maintenance, then there is still lots of life left in it. However, if it has had 25000 hard miles without all the proper maintenance it could be on it's last breath. Just don't judge it's condition by how shiny the paint is, I'd recommend having a dealer give it a good once-over, compression check, etc. May cost you a couple hundred bucks to get it done, but could save you thousands in the long run.

K.Biz is offline Banned
    i didnt even know they made katanas in a 750

blue book on that bike is a little less than 1,500. thats considering its in good condition. miles seems ok though for how old it is. if you're willing to spend in the mid 2 Gs u could get something much newer.

notus is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaGetBig
    Would this be your first bike? The Katana's were good bikes, heavy by today's standards but still fun to ride. The biggest unknown with a used bike is if they put 25000 miles on it, had the oil changed every few thousand miles, valves adjusted as needed, and kept up with all routine maintenance, then there is still lots of life left in it. However, if it has had 25000 hard miles without all the proper maintenance it could be on it's last breath. Just don't judge it's condition by how shiny the paint is, I'd recommend having a dealer give it a good once-over, compression check, etc. May cost you a couple hundred bucks to get it done, but could save you thousands in the long run.
    Yes this will be my first real bike, I had a few dirt bikes when I was younger. Thanks for all the help

notus is offline Member
    [QUOTE=pgilligan10]blue book on that bike is a little less than 1,500. thats considering its in good condition. miles seems ok though for how old it is. if you're willing to spend in the mid 2 Gs u could get something much newer.[/QUOT

What bike would you recommend for $2500 or less?

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    That bike is a dinosaur compared to what's on the road now. 2200 is a bit steep too. I've seen older ZX7's and GSXR's selling for 2500 to 3,000.

you should be able to get a 97-99 honda cbr f4, a mid to late nineties suzuki gxxr, or a mid nineties kawasaki zx6r for around or under 2500. u might find some for 3500-4000 but u just gotta negotiate, most people list their bikes for way higher than their worth.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Being that it will be your first real streetbike, I would recommend looking for the newest 600 you can get for less than 3 grand, and ride it till you feel ready for more, then sell it and get a litre class bike. If your heart is set on a 750 you can't go wrong with a gsxr, but be sure you're ready, that's a lot of bike.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Naah see... it doesnt matter what size motor is on there... you can drive a fast bike slow but you cant drive a slow bike fast... If you wanna get a 750... get it... my first bike was a 600 and i outgrew it in 3 weeks... its quick but just cant keep up on the road... i have a 750 06 gixxer now... And i must say i wish i bought the 750 first. 600/750/1000/1300 - what ever size motor you have just ride it safely. Oh and also.. a 600 isnt really that slow either... it just doesnt have that much power to it... my 600 honda topped out at 172... and my 750 tops out at 186... it just gets there quicker

nbkandrew13 is offline Member
    im in the carbiz and if i was appraising it its worth 350, and be careful going fast on a bike 15 yearss old

i like em..i'd buy it for 2000

Quote Originally Posted by nbkandrew13
    im in the carbiz and if i was appraising it its worth 350, and be careful going fast on a bike 15 yearss old
    ur in the "carbiz" and you're appraising bikes? its not worth 2200 but its worth more than 350 fella. stick to cars.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtorecovery
    Naah see... it doesnt matter what size motor is on there... you can drive a fast bike slow but you cant drive a slow bike fast... If you wanna get a 750... get it... my first bike was a 600 and i outgrew it in 3 weeks... its quick but just cant keep up on the road... i have a 750 06 gixxer now... And i must say i wish i bought the 750 first. 600/750/1000/1300 - what ever size motor you have just ride it safely. Oh and also.. a 600 isnt really that slow either... it just doesnt have that much power to it... my 600 honda topped out at 172... and my 750 tops out at 186... it just gets there quicker
    yea i agree with u. getting a 750 is fine for a first bike. my first was a 600 and i was ready for a 1000 before i even bought it lol.

notus is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery
    I have had alot of people tell me similiar things.I guess we'll see but I think I have the self control to be careful to ride safe. I'd like to get a bigger bike to I don't have to buy twice.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    The bike is worth around $1250 its way over priced

BTW its not a Katana its a can-a-tuna

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    That thing is about 16 years old (assuming that it was actually made in 91' and sold as a "92 model year") ps I don't know shlt about bikes

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    That thing is about 16 years old (assuming that it was actually made in 91' and sold as a "92 model year") ps I don't know shlt about bikes
    Like your last date in the tanning both?

notus is offline Member
    Thanks for all the help I went to go look at it again and it sold... so I quess I'll keep looking

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    Like your last date in the tanning both?

She said she was 19 (actually I never mess with a chic under 18 which is pretty hard when you have them trying to strip in front of you and wanting threesomes and shlt. Always the ones under 18 want to be freaks ) A lesser man would already be in jail going "how the fuk did I get here"

stacked566 is offline Associate Member
    Ewww, katana? I hate those things, especially since people try to sell them used for around the same price as a GSXR that has the better running gear and motor and bodywork. For 2500 you could get a 2001-2004ish 600 just about anywhere. Just bring a mechanic friend with you to look at it and grill the owner. Don't be scared if it needs body work, thats cheap, motor work is not on the other hand.

BTW- my beater 01 gsxr 600 just turned 30K miles, three valve jobs, 1 rotating assembly, new yosh cams and valvetrain. It runs like a train, albeit a lot slower than my race 06' gixxer and 1000...haha.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Rubber hoses and other rubber parts deteriorate over time, and spare parts on older bikes can be difficult to get.
    IMHO, buying an older bike can be a big pain in the neck. Anything over 10 years old, well, I probably wouldn't bother with it. Reliability, safety, spare parts, ya, that's what I'd be thinking about.

Thread Information