Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    domeyeahaigh is offline Senior Member

Do you believe in aliens?

Okay branching off from the ghost thread I now pose this question. How many of you believe in aliens? I have never seen any or anything like that but since the universe is infinite there HAS to be other stuff out there, even possibly stuff just like us…thoughts everyone?

K.Biz is offline Banned
    I dont think there is another "human" race just because i believe in evolution. And I think that we (humans) are flawed in many ways. But i think there might be a race far superior to us and perhaps a race that is just in its very start and very un-advanced compared to us. There cant be only us, thats just a sad thought...

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    too much space to be just us that's my .02

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you consider how big space is and then consider how many billions of stars there are with trillions of planets orbiting them, well....chances are pretty likely.

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    no....

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    no... i have to see it to beleive it...

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Scientists have found living bacteria on other planets. Aliens exist... while they may not be your green skinned giant eyed saucer flying destroyers, they are still from another planet and thus they are aliens.

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    think about this...... If humans evolved from apes..... how come there are still apes???

There is more than one type of Ape.

domeyeahaigh is offline Senior Member
    frogs evolve from tadpoles...so why are there still tadpoles? its a process...but i do not believe that humans evolved from apes. lets stick to the topic...my grandma said she saw an alien once...haha you almost have to believe what your grandma says

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Negative.

m8intl is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getnjakked
    think about this...... If humans evolved from apes..... how come there are still apes???
    Take a biological anthropology class.

m8intl is offline Associate Member
    There's hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundres of millions/billions of stars; so, there's a fair chance that life, intelligent or otherwise, is out there. Now that being said, I don't believe aliens have ever contacted us, and frankly, I doubt they ever will. Our own galaxy is around 150,000 light years in diameter. So traveling at 186,000 miles per second, even if something lived in our galaxy, it could take up to 150,000 years to reach us (our radio waves for instance, travel at the speed of light). Since there are so many galaxies, the nearest of which is Andromeda at 2.3 million light years away, I think the chances of us interacting with intelligent life are remote.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    The movie that inspired me most was K-pax

Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33
    Negative.

Why?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I don't necessarily think there are little green men in flying saucers, but the universe is so vast I would think it rather likely that there are many other life forms out there.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Hell Yeah. I mean, haven't you seen Sam Cassel from the Bucks? lol

but really, yeah. Theres so much space and many more galaxies and planets. there has to be another life-form.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx
    Hell Yeah. I mean, haven't you seen Sam Cassel from the Bucks? lol

but really, yeah. Theres so much space and many more galaxies and planets. there has to be another life-form.

hehe now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    i think there are other things out there.... not sure what though.

samoth is offline Member
    The universe isn't actually infinite -- rather, it's considered finite yet unbounded.

The mathematical probability of life existing elsewhere in the universe is virtually certain; however, I don't know if extrasolar life is what was mean by "aliens".

As to the purported U.F.O. phenomenom, that is false. There exists a rather annoying universal speed limit which restricts such recreational travel (as overplayed by the media for many decades now).

Now, I know threads like these often lead to wild speculation and conjectures about faster-than-light travel and wormholes, but for those who prefer the real world guided by physical laws over movies and television -- the answers are yes, life more than likely exists elsewhere, and no, they are not visiting out planet.

The laws of physics? What do we as humans know about the laws of the space and universe... nothing we don't walk around in space and test theories constantly. Can we test theories with vacuums to simulate space sure, but until we are just floating around testing it day by day at these so called "law" speeds I don't buy anything. Science is a screwed subject in the fact that a lot of the crap you learn is speculation and theories. There are facts, but the universe and space we have no idea on we just guess.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by samoth
    The universe isn't actually infinite -- rather, it's considered finite yet unbounded.

The mathematical probability of life existing elsewhere in the universe is virtually certain; however, I don't know if extrasolar life is what was mean by "aliens".

As to the purported U.F.O. phenomenom, that is false. There exists a rather annoying universal speed limit which restricts such recreational travel (as overplayed by the media for many decades now).

Now, I know threads like these often lead to wild speculation and conjectures about faster-than-light travel and wormholes, but for those who prefer the real world guided by physical laws over movies and television -- the answers are yes, life more than likely exists elsewhere, and no, they are not visiting out planet.
    dude splitting the atom was considered impossible 70 years ago

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherallen
    Okay branching off from the ghost thread I now pose this question. How many of you believe in aliens? I have never seen any or anything like that but since the universe is infinite there HAS to be other stuff out there, even possibly stuff just like us…thoughts everyone?
    I've heard of quite a few of them coming into California recently which has caused quite a debate between the Republicans and Democrats...

Bruce000 is offline Associate Member
    No!!! Goes against my beliefs!!!

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce000
    No!!! Goes against my beliefs!!!
    say what?!?! why would you want your beliefs to blind you in ignorance???

Like every1 else has said, so many other galaxies and stars and other planets revolving out there, there definately is other life forms out there, which to us would be aliens, I'd bet my life on it too!

Bruce000 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemoney
    say what?!?! why would you want your beliefs to blind you in ignorance???

Like every1 else has said, so many other galaxies and stars and other planets revolving out there, there definately is other life forms out there, which to us would be aliens, I'd bet my life on it too!
    Cool all for them selves!! A part of me wants to believe in them!! Will always be a question out there! Same as spirits and Ghosts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce000
    Cool all for them selves!! A part of me wants to believe in them!! Will always be a question out there! Same as spirits and Ghosts!!

Given time though and technological advances it's more than likely we could find some form of life in the Universe, whether science could get to the stage where we could peek into the here-after, thats something else all together.

samoth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesis
    The laws of physics? What do we as humans know about the laws of the space and universe... nothing we don't walk around in space and test theories constantly. Can we test theories with vacuums to simulate space sure, but until we are just floating around testing it day by day at these so called "law" speeds I don't buy anything. Science is a screwed subject in the fact that a lot of the crap you learn is speculation and theories. There are facts, but the universe and space we have no idea on we just guess.
    The laws of physics are invariant.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    look-up divergent evoloution

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont think interstellar travel is totaly out of the question. Whenever a civilisation gets advanced enough so that they can produce and store large quantities of antimatter they will have the means to reach near light speed. Especialy if they send small probes instead of huge hulking ships. Plenty of research is going on right now on storing and producing antihydrogen.

I doubt any civilisation would send organic life forms on voyages betwen stars though. Any society advanced enough to build interstellar probes probably have developed artificial intelligence aswell. Sending out swarms of small autonomous bots all over the place is probably the smartest way to explore space. So if they are around in our solar system we would never know.

The light speed limit is depressing.

The "crap" that is thought at universities is theories that have been tested millions of times in all conceivable ways. Science is all about testing current theories to se if they fail to predict something. Its absolutely astonishing how accurately those theories modell reality! Current theories are accurate for all but the most exotic conditions like inside black holes and at energy scales that are out of this world.

When I said crap taught in universities I meant how the professor says this is how we think the Earth was formed, but we really don't know.... Then why the hell do I have to know this for a test if it might not even be true?? Also how can you say that these theories are very accurate in reality, when we don't walk around in space? The theories are accurate for things based on Earth because we live here. The theories based on Space though are still just that theories because we don't spend enough time there to see how well everything holds up. The laws of physics are invariant??? The laws of physics have always been there they are laws because that is how we define them. Can it be possible that as imperfect human beings we might be wrong on how we defined some of them??

samoth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kärnfysikern
    I dont think interstellar travel is totaly out of the question. Whenever a civilisation gets advanced enough so that they can produce and store large quantities of antimatter they will have the means to reach near light speed.
    Whoa. Star Trek isn't real, broly.

We can accelerate electons to near c, not macroscopic stuff. And even at light speed, the distances we're talking aren't only a few hundred years away.

samoth is offline Member
    When I said crap taught in universities I meant how the professor says this is how we think the Earth was formed, but we really don't know.... Then why the hell do I have to know this for a test if it might not even be true?? Also how can you say that these theories are very accurate in reality, when we don't walk around in space? The theories are accurate for things based on Earth because we live here. The theories based on Space though are still just that theories because we don't spend enough time there to see how well everything holds up. The laws of physics are invariant??? The laws of physics have always been there they are laws because that is how we define them. Can it be possible that as imperfect human beings we might be wrong on how we defined some of them??
    You might want to pick up a book or two on the subject.

There's no such thing as a "theory based on space". Mind you, I think I know what you mean, but, well... it's just wrong.

Regarding being told how the earth was formed: It's the same reason they teach that electrons circle a nucleus like a planet around the sun -- it's wrong, but you're not at the necessary level to understand the (for lack of a better word) 'truth' behind it. Ditto with the law of conservation of energy. It's true, but not really, but still must hold. You can borrow small amounts of energy from the universe, as long as you give it back in a small enough (read: near-Planck) time. There's much to learn before one can grasp planetary formations of astrophysics or electon distributions and quantum field theory of high-energy physics. So, at the introductory levels, there's certainly much to be desired, and the smart student will often recognize this and find the knowledge being taught very incomplete.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    common ancestor, you must have fell asleep in biology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kärnfysikern
    I dont think interstellar travel is totaly out of the question. Whenever a civilisation gets advanced enough so that they can produce and store large quantities of antimatter they will have the means to reach near light speed. Especialy if they send small probes instead of huge hulking ships. Plenty of research is going on right now on storing and producing antihydrogen.

I doubt any civilisation would send organic life forms on voyages betwen stars though. Any society advanced enough to build interstellar probes probably have developed artificial intelligence aswell. Sending out swarms of small autonomous bots all over the place is probably the smartest way to explore space. So if they are around in our solar system we would never know.

The light speed limit is depressing.

The "crap" that is thought at universities is theories that have been tested millions of times in all conceivable ways. Science is all about testing current theories to se if they fail to predict something. Its absolutely astonishing how accurately those theories modell reality! Current theories are accurate for all but the most exotic conditions like inside black holes and at energy scales that are out of this world.
    damn, I thought that you went away and joined a monastery or something. Nice to see you in here again.

It would take too long to explain. You need to take some science courses.

Meh it isn't that important to me anyway.
    Last edited by Renesis; 07-29-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samoth
    Whoa. Star Trek isn't real, broly.

We can accelerate electons to near c, not macroscopic stuff. And even at light speed, the distances we're talking aren't only a few hundred years away.
    Well I am looking a couple of hundrad years into the future. Research is already going on on a theoretical stage on using anti matter for propulsion. Stuff like antimatter catalyzed fusion. Methods like that only require nanograms of antimatter if I remember correctly. While those technologies are still far away the major hurdle is to produce and store enough antimatter. Work on that is going on both at CERN and at Fermilab. After uppgrades Fermilab will be able to produce enough antimater for antimater catalyzed fusion. So then the containment is the big issue and offcourse the cost.

Getting a probe up to 90% light speed would probably not be impossible if we find a nice way to contain anti hydrogen. It might be 200 years into the future, but alien civilizations might be thousands of years ahead of us. There is no theoretical limit to why it cant work.

With fusion and fission or a hybrid system we can with todays technology feasibly can get near 10% of light speed, the one breakthrough needed is offcourse controlled fusion. But in 50 years we will probably master that.
    Look up project daedalus and project orion those are interesting reads. If it wasnt for the ridicilous anti nuclear stuff going on we would be on mars and beyond. Project orion's goal was to reach saturn by 1970 if I remember correctly.

There are plenty of stars at distances around 20 light years away so thats a nice first step. The big question is offcourse the one Fermi asked. Why are they not here? Colonizing the entire galaxy gradualy like that "only" takes hundred million years or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    damn, I thought that you went away and joined a monastery or something. Nice to see you in here again.
    Im still around keeping a eye on the board But I am uber busy with other things, bachelor thesis, summer courses ect so I havent posted much

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    aliens as in other life form/species on other planets..definately 100%..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information