Thread: Is This True?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Is This True?

That seating under a fan or cold AC, when your hot and sweaty, is bad for you?

Example: Just got done playing some basketball with a friend. Hop in his car, and I blast the AC on. He shuts it off and rolls down the windows, and says "Thats bad for you, too make yourself that cold that quick when really hot and sweaty."

Is this true?

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    I think its bad for the person sitting down wind from you.

dece870717 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nope, heck at my job we're outside all the time, some of the stops we goto we bust our asses and sweat nuts and we just blast the A/C all the time when we go back into the truck, nothings happened to me yet because of it.

Suworu~Nutsuki is offline Associate Member
    it wouldnt be any worse than having a cold shower after the gym or playing sport. The only thing bad bout a/c is that it circulates the same air.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    no, what a dumbass comment. if you are really hot and you drink really cold liquids it can make you vomit though.

Juicy J is offline Associate Member
    i remember when i was younger, my mom told me this, she also said dont drink cold water if your overheated, dont know if either is true

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, youre not all correct. The problem is you're causing a rapid cool down. The body is working full force to keep you cool, hence your sweat, dilated capallaries. If you suddenly jump into cold air you put your body into a small panic. While it does not always turn out bad for you, it does lead to the summer cold.

The same thing if youve been outside for a while and your hands are feeling numb, dont run it under hot water.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    Well, youre not all correct. The problem is you're causing a rapid cool down. The body is working full force to keep you cool, hence your sweat, dilated capallaries. If you suddenly jump into cold air you put your body into a small panic. While it does not always turn out bad for you, it does lead to the summer cold.

The same thing if youve been outside for a while and your hands are feeling numb, dont run it under hot water.
    That sh*t hurts so bad, I can't even close my hands for a couple of minutes after I do that. Like pyscho said the only reason it is bad for you is because you can get a cold from it. Other than that no real harm.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    ya its bad for you thats how u get sick lol

Serotonin is offline Member
    No, it isn't bad for you. A cold is caused by a virus and not the fking temperature of the AC blowing. Prolonged hypothermia and all that can cause problems and suppress the immune system but that isn't what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin
    No, it isn't bad for you. A cold is caused by a virus and not the fking temperature of the AC blowing. Prolonged hypothermia and all that can cause problems and suppress the immune system but that isn't what you're talking about.
    exactly. you dont get colds from being in cold weather even though most people think thats how u get them. like serotonin said they're caused by a virus.

lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    no big deal.

Jacky_Zebsten is offline Associate Member
    its gives you aids

everyone knows this

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

The same thing if youve been outside for a while and your hands are feeling numb, dont run it under hot water...

x2

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member

This is such an urban legend.

Do you know how a person gets "dilated capillaries"? Rosacea anyone?

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    So when youre all hot from whatever makes you hot and your nutsac is hanging REALLY low and then you jump into a pool causing your nuts to go turtle....all your kids will have down-syndrom.

I know cause it happened to my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin
    the cold is caught though because youre immune systemis weakened, summer colds are actually usually the result of a fever type symptom anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    This is such an urban legend.

Do you know how a person gets "dilated capillaries"? Rosacea anyone?
    Uhh... Go back to anatomy and physiology? lol Your vessels expand and the body sends more blood to the surface of the skin. This is one of the mechanisms your body has for cooling down in an addition to sweat, which is just your urine by the way.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgilligan10
    exactly. you dont get colds from being in cold weather even though most people think thats how u get them. like serotonin said they're caused by a virus.
    You realise we can't cure the common cold right? What does this mean it means that when you finally feel better from a cold it is because your system has locked down the viruses into lets call them boxes to keep it simple. When you hit the AC after you are hot and sweaty that "shock" that pyscho explains cripples your immune system for a little while and allows the viruses to get out of their "boxes." Thats why you get the summer cold, of course it is a virus the one thats STILL inside you.

Uhh... Go back to anatomy and physiology? lol Your vessels expand and the body sends more blood to the surface of the skin. This is one of the mechanisms your body has for cooling down in an addition to sweat, which is just your urine by the way.
    Yes, your capillaries dilate allowing increased blood flow to the skin. However, a "rapid cooldown" is not what causes a summer cold... A cold is a virus that you catch, plain and simple. The reason some people get a cold when turning on the AC has more to do with the fact that air conditioning can dry layer of mucous in your nose that helps protect against infections... It really has nothing to do with any kind of shock to your system making your immune system weak.

The rosacea was a joke based on the "dilated capillaries" comment (i.e. telangiectasis rosacea.)(sp?)

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    the systemic shock can lower ones immune system
    my doc told me this when i had strepthroat.. he said u really dont wanna go from real hot to real cold when ur sick .. and can prolong the infection.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    the systemic shock can lower ones immune system
    my doc told me this when i had strepthroat.. he said u really dont wanna go from real hot to real cold when ur sick .. and can prolong the infection.
    Did you doctor REALLY say that?... Come on now. Tell the truth. I was trained as an EMT and while I am not even close to a medical doctor in my training we were taught something completely different.

Anyway, here is some reading material I dug up for ya'll.

Often people believe that you will be most likely to catch a cold when your immunity is down. "This is a myth," explains Dr. Gordon. "Healthy people with normal immune systems catch colds too."

"If exposed to the cold virus, 95 percent of normal people become infected," says Dr Gordon. "However, only 25 percent will suffer symptoms."

Another myth is that being chilled gives you a cold.

"Even when someone is under-dressed, or has wet hair, you are no more likely to catch a cold, rather you need to be exposed to the virus," he says.
    http://today.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=273844

pumpd4lif is offline Senior Member
    tell ur freind to stop being a joo! gas is high but not that high damn BLAST THE AIR BITCH!!!!

Did you doctor REALLY say that?... Come on now. Tell the truth. I was trained as an EMT and while I am not even close to a medical doctor in my training we were taught something completely different.

Anyway, here is some reading material I dug up for ya'll.

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=273844
    yeah dood he said like if i continue to train and got hot and sweaty and went out side (during the winter) he stated it would induce stress on the body and lower the immune system. Not like PREVENTION of a bacteria or a virus but just prolongs the duration of the illness is what he stated.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    yeah dood he said like if i continue to train and got hot and sweaty and went out side (during the winter) he stated it would induce stress on the body and lower the immune system. Not like PREVENTION of a bacteria or a virus but just prolongs the duration of the illness is what he stated.
    I could see that happening but you should understand that ANY kind of stress (even mental) can prolong an illness. That being said, it won't weaken your immune system dramatically. In fact, excessive cardiovascular activity will weaken it more!

Lack of sleep (IMO) probably plays the largest role. Basically, if you are sick you need to rest. Going from hot to cold is one of the last things you should be worrying about.

Edit: I re-read your post. He was probably telling you to get more rest and stop training while you were ill.
    Last edited by scriptfactory; 08-25-2007 at 02:35 PM.

I could see that happening but you should understand that ANY kind of stress (even mental) can prolong an illness. That being said, it won't weaken your immune system dramatically. In fact, excessive cardiovascular activity will weaken it more!

Lack of sleep (IMO) probably plays the largest role. Basically, if you are sick you need to rest. Going from hot to cold is one of the last things you should be worrying about.

Edit: I re-read your post. He was probably telling you to get more rest and stop training while you were ill.
    yeah i always get sick on long runs of tren =[

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    So when youre all hot from whatever makes you hot and your nutsac is hanging REALLY low and then you jump into a pool causing your nuts to go turtle....all your kids will have down-syndrom.

I know cause it happened to my dad.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    i can't fathom it would be bad for you

Serotonin is offline Member
    Psycho- Sweat is NOT urine. The amount of urea in sweat is physiologically insignificant to that of actual urine. Even so, profound sweating produces even less uric acid in sweat than in serum concentrations.

Moving from hot to cold or vice versa is not going to alter the immune system and cause you to be sick. If you get sick, it is because a) you were inoculated with something foreign to your immune system and can't immediately destroy it or b) your immune system is suppressed (which doesn't happen from AC).

Anyways, this shit has been discussed at length for decades and its always proven to be false. You don't get sick from it.

Thread Information