Bojangles69 is offline Banned

Question $752,467 for a baseball?

I don't know crap about memorabilia.

But when I heard how much Barry Bonds balls sold for I pooped my pants a little bit. Thats fvckn CRAZY!! For a *baseball*?!?
    I thought the world lost its mind when a piece of toast sold on ebay for $14,000 (the one with the runaway bride on it).

But COMEON!!
    Bonds did steroids . I wouldn't pay 5 cents for that ball.

But seriously. Does anyone collect sports memorabilia as a hobby?
    My dad had mint versions of Micky Mantle in his mothers attic plus a lot of other cards. He said his mother threw them away like a year before she died but that they would be worth A LOT if he still had them.
    Than I remembered my brother (my oldest brothers 44) Left 6 boxes of baseball cards from the 1970's in our basement when he moved out a long time ago. They don't even look like they've ever been touched and like I said in an older thread he's a millionaire so even if he knew they were there I'm not sure he'd give a rats fvck.

So I'm thinking about putting them somewhere safe for the next 20-30 years and acting like I never saw them before.. or that my dog peed on them and I threw them away.
    That would make them like 60 years old by than and there really is A LOT of cards in those boxes in great shape. Since I don't know shit about collecting baseballs cards. Would there be a point in doing that?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    is it covered in egg beater milf pubes?

Primalinstinct is offline Associate Member
    I guessed $500k before it went off.

Probably was worth 3 or 4 times more minus the big meaty media story we all have been graced with.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    is it covered in egg beater milf pubes?
    Yes sirrrr, and a little bit of bacon grease too.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalinstinct
    I guessed $500k before it went off.

Probably was worth 3 or 4 times more minus the big meaty media story we all have been graced with.
    Crazy. My dad guessed 1million than I told him.
    The article said the same thing you said about how it would been worth more w/out the roid issue but I had no idea it would have been worth that much.
    I don't understand why the dude who caught it sold it so quick.
    Wouldn't you wanna hold onto something like that for about 40 years?

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    The article said the same thing you said about how it would been worth more w/out the roid issue but I had no idea it would have been worth that much.

The funniest part about it is that the dude who came up with it was a METS FAN!!! lolol-

I watched it live. All of those laid back Californians reached their arms out "gingerly" in a WEAK ASS attempt to catch the ball, as it bounced around in the crowd.

The New Yorker dove down into the seats, and dug after the ball like a rabid wolverine!!

I have never seen such a vivid contrast between west/east cost cultures. We (my wife and I) kept rewinding it and watching it in slow motion. It was hilarious!!!

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    I've got a shit ton of George Brett baseball cards, some Bo Jackson cards, and some others. Since I'm not really much of a baseball fan anymore I thought I'd cash them in. Then I find out that a George Brett rookie card is worth only $80. So now it looks like I'll be holding onto these cards for at least another 20 years before they'll be worth something.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg_28
    I've got a shit ton of George Brett baseball cards, some Bo Jackson cards, and some others. Since I'm not really much of a baseball fan anymore I thought I'd cash them in. Then I find out that a George Brett rookie card is worth only $80. So now it looks like I'll be holding onto these cards for at least another 20 years before they'll be worth something.
    same. lol.
    i used to go watch the royals play all the time when i was younger but i was never able to get him to autograph me cards

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    went for like 600,000

than the 125thou or wahtever was the auction service fee..

What a ripofff of a service fee

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks
    went for like 600,000

Hell yeah... I would have put that shit on Ebay for a $3.00 listing fee!!! lol- (JK!)

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    same. lol.
    i used to go watch the royals play all the time when i was younger but i was never able to get him to autograph me cards
    Yeah same here dude. I went to a bunch of royals games from 2-5 yrs old. Never got an autograph either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogamedogz
    The funniest part about it is that the dude who came up with it was a METS FAN!!! lolol-

I watched it live. All of those laid back Californians reached their arms out "gingerly" in a WEAK ASS attempt to catch the ball, as it bounced around in the crowd.

The New Yorker dove down into the seats, and dug after the ball like a rabid wolverine!!

I have never seen such a vivid contrast between west/east cost cultures. We (my wife and I) kept rewinding it and watching it in slow motion. It was hilarious!!!

I disagree, THAT /\ is the funniest part lmao.

went for like 600,000

Uhh.. I don't know why I read 756,000. Now your gonna make me go back and double check. =[

Stabone is offline Banned
    I'd buy it and then put it back on Ebay with a vial of test!
    Steroids or not, who gives a fvck. What about the advancement in technology that allows today's athletes to become bigger and stronger than the players of the early days? They didn't know about creatine back in the day so should there be an asterisk next to any players' name that has taken it. I don't think they had Hammer Strength equipment back then either. As technology advances, so do we; it's part of life.
    Give Tiger Woods the equipment they used back in the 70's and he wouldn't be half the golfer he is today. Is that cheating?

Uhh.. I don't know why I read 756,000. Now your gonna make me go back and double check. =[

LOL sorry for making u go re-read... cause I'm sure u were right.. I did my post of the top of the head like 2 hours after i heard the news :-P

ironjaw467 is offline New Member
    That Is Some Krayz Shit!!

bcaasdirty is offline Member
    thats chump change in comparison to what the mark mcgwire ball that broke roger maris's record sold for back in 98...i believe it was $3million

but then again the entire sports memoribilia industry has been going COMPLETELY in the shitter over the past decade...In the early 90s the industry peaked at a value of $1.1 billion, while now its worth ~$250million

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    My dad had mint versions of Micky Mantle in his mothers attic plus a lot of other cards. He said his mother threw them away like a year before she died but that they would be worth A LOT if he still had them.
    lol...

I cant tell you how many times Ive heard that story. All my freinds say the same thing about their dad's rare collection....heck, my dad told that one to me too.

Serotonin is offline Member
    I love that there are people starving and living in complete hell and unable to get an education over a vast majority of the Earth, and some shit-sack would dump that money on a baseball.

It would be nice to get a room full of people on the brink of death with starvation and disease and tie that asshole to a chair in the same room for a few days. Call me crazy, as I'm sure I partly am, but I wouldn't hesitate beating the life out of someone that stupid if I could. Yay for materialism, I hope they can jerk off everyday to a paperweight behind a plexiglass case.

I guess that means u wouldn't be interested in the $6300 cell phones

http://www.vertu.com/en/

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Barry Bond's Balls?

Serotonin is offline Member
    I guess that means u wouldn't be interested in the $6300 cell phones

http://www.vertu.com/en/
    Haha... I used the old style Nokia's for like 8 years because I never cared for huge features and loved the long battery life. Just last month I got a Nokia N75 smart phone and I fvcking hate it. 2 Megapixel camera it says... bullshit. The pictures look like shit smeared on plastic. Plays MP3's... yea and my $60 Ipod shuffle sounds 100000000x better and doesn't change songs at a snail's pace.
    Fancy user interface?... great... it only takes a second and a half to actually go to the menu I select. Oh and talk time!, 3 hours and the battery will say full then goes to dead.

I figure I'll use it until it drops an important call and I eject out of truck on the freeway... then I'll go back to my Nokia that is the size of a Buick and hasn't fvcked up once since the day I bought it.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    damn that's a lot of dough. i watched it live too.... made the kids watch as well so they could "witness history". i used to hit the sox games at fenway all the time back home...never saw bonds live though... still time.

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    I saw the guy that bought it on the Today show this morning - it was Mark Ecko (of Ecko clothing). He now has a website set up for people to vote on 3 options for the ball - one is to drop it off at the hall of fame, 2 is to put a big asterisk on it (and presumably drop it off at the hall of fame), and 3 is to put it into a rocket and shuttle it to outer space.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20819623/

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I'd sell my real balls for that

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    that is nothing....didnt mcgwires ball go for over a million or something....the one he broke the single season record...then 2 years later bonds breaks that record...lol

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

I heard he would have had to pay taxes on the ball if he held onto it

Thread Information