joeybeeee is offline Associate Member

I was told you cant take your puppy outside til a certain age. how many weeks/months?

I was told you cant take your puppy outside til a certain age. anybody know or remember how many weeks/months or number of vaccines they need before they can go on the ground outside?

I never followed this rule with my older puppy, that might be why he had such an expensive medical history. but my new puppy has pissed and shat all over my place, im ready to take him out now, before my place permanantly smells of piss. I also dont want a sick dog and a huge bill every month.

he was born july 2nd and has had his first two vaccines. Is he good to go outside now?

I would buy a puppy book online. That would be your best bet I think. Good luck. Its like a kid that can't talk but poops and eats more and then chews all your shit up! I love dogs!

yeah this dog eats every chance he gets, and then shits an hour later. its like he's training to be mr. olympia.

i dont know about the book, ill just ask the vet when his next shot is due.

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Normally you should wait till it has had its vaccinations at 8 weeks and 10 weeks respecitvely.
    They will be ok to go out at 8 weeks just aslong as they dont come in to contact with dogs that are not vaccinated.

scottish is offline Associate Member
    They are fine going outside. Just wait till you get all the vacs before taking him out to socialize with other animals.

And make sure you get Kennel cough vac. Its a nasty nasy thing to go through.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    i got mine at 8 weeks over a month ago and he's been outside ed..

peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    dude if you want to save money, go to a large animal vet. the best is in small towns. you can get everything for the 3rd of the price as a small animal vet in a city. it also depends on where you live. if you live in town with neighbors that have dogs then the "outside thing might be a problem". but if your in the country, fck it. let em run. my last dog died at 14yrs old and was never taken to the vet once. she went out old yeller style.

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Your pups should start receiving vaccinations and worming starting at 4 weeks of age. You can purchase your own Vaccines/wormers (cheap) online and do it yourself.

Once he or she is vaccinated, you can bring them outside (to public places) without any worries.

Yeah i was told they can pick up parva just left behind on the ground by other dogs months before. I started taking him out in my backyard yesterday, its an open yard so who knows what dogs have been there. Yeah and my neighborhood has dogs everywhere.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybeeee
    Yeah i was told they can pick up parva just left behind on the ground by other dogs months before. I started taking him out in my backyard yesterday, its an open yard so who knows what dogs have been there. Yeah and my neighborhood has dogs everywhere.
    I've seen a dog with Parvo before, it's really hard on them, few make live through it.

yeah i heard that too, they start sh*ttin blood and sooner or later they are curled up under the deck trying to die alone.

Dude...dont let him outside with out giving him a 7-way puppy shot. It's a VERY bad idea.

whats a 7way puppy shot?

Geeezer is offline Senior Member
    My wife has Parvo.
    It sucks at times

whats a 7way puppy shot?

7-Way Combos
    For puppy vaccinations at 12 and 15 weeks of age, and as an annual booster for adult dogs. Standard vaccination combinations contain:

Parvo
    Distemper
    Adenovirus Type 2
    Hepatitis
    Parinfluenza
    2-Leptospirosis

You can get a single dose shot online for like $5.50

Just pull up the pups skin between its shoulder blades, and hit him with a sub-Q shot. Very, Very, easy.

where can i get them online?

1800petmeds.com
    Vetvax.com
    jeeferspetsupply.com

their are 100's of websites. It's legal for you to purchase them. And MUCH cheaper than the vet.

take your dog to the vet,get the shots then i think its 1/2 weeks you can walk them...
    i did that and my dog still got fox mainge,shots are no guarantee but def help them stay healthy

Quote Originally Posted by ronan the barbarian
    take your dog to the vet,get the shots then i think its 1/2 weeks you can walk them...
    i did that and my dog still got fox mainge,shots are no guarantee but def help them stay healthy

Booster shots dont protect your pup from mange.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogamedogz
    Booster shots dont protect your pup from mange.
    thats my point,even if you do everything its no guarantee your dog will stay healthy

Quote Originally Posted by ronan the barbarian
    thats my point,even if you do everything its no guarantee your dog will stay healthy
    Yeah... but the pup is at MUCH more of a risk to get sick without his Parvo/distemper and rabies shot. If the pup catches anything else (like mange), that would be very out of the ordinary.

As long as you hit them with the 7-way and worm them out. (Very important to worm your pups), you'll be fine.

Parvo is a terrible way to go. they pretty much dehydrate to death. Not pretty. The larger older dogs that get it, stand a better chance of survival.

yeah they dehydrate to death due to the diarreah, they arent able to hold any fluids in their body.

My older dog had bad diarreah a while back, and used to shit blood with it. I took him to the vet and they said it wasnt parvo but gave him some antibiotics and it went away.

About 1-2 months later, he had it again, but this time blood was streaming down his back leg. I gave him some pedeolite and some other stuff I had left over and it went away again.

What could cause so much bleeding?

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    It sucked waiting to take my dog out til she had all her shots, but its not worth the risk IMO. Keeping your pup healthy is more important. Also look into feeding a RAW diet!! Socializing your pup is also crucial, once it has had all its shots, take it to different places, around kids, different sounds, and maybe a basic training class. Goodluck

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    i got a golden pup last summer and it had parvo. its intestines ended up falling out of him, literally... it wasn't pretty. wrapped him in a towel and brought him back to the breeder, gave me a new one... had it too. ended up getting my money back and just bought a new one a few weeks ago.

parvo apparantly stays in your carpet, ect for months. so it's good to wait 9 months to a year before getting a new pup or any dog w/o vaccinations for that matter.

damn bro, thats brutal. your making me worried now, i took my pup outside in my yard a couple times these last few days.

Kman. Most people dont have the time or know how to feed a dog a raw diet. There are some quality foods out there the mimic a raw diet pretty well.

wtf is a raw diet?

Quote Originally Posted by scottish
    Kman. Most people dont have the time or know how to feed a dog a raw diet. There are some quality foods out there the mimic a raw diet pretty well.
    True. But one could buy premade raw and feed it, it takes about 1 minute more that feeding kibble, which is garbage IMO.

wtf is a raw diet?
    Basically raw meat and bones, what a dog would eat in the wild. Kibble's main ingredients are grain,wheat and other carbs that dogs don't need. Some common myths are if you feed your dog raw meat it will be more aggressive! What a joke, kibble and other major companys use cheap grains and nasty remains of animal parts and contribute to many problems that were never associted with dogs before there companys where started. Research it and you will see its a better way of keeping your dog healthy.

damn, thats gotta be expensive. what do you feed your dog a raw steak every day?

Thread Information