Thread: size vs strenth

Griffenspade is offline New Member

size vs strenth

I was at the gym earlier today and saw this dude that was monstrously huge, probably 30-35 in arms, maybe 270lbs, veins poppin everywhere.

But as i saw him work out, i just realized he was nowhere near as strong as he looked. He was doing maybe 30-45% more weight than i was. And he was struggling, grimacing, sweatin hard.

I was curling right next to him, I was doing 45lbs each hand, while he was only doing 60. The way he looked, id expect him to curl like 300!

Now I didnt know the guy, so I figured it would b rude to just ask if he was on stroids.

So assuming the two possiblities, hes either jucing or hes not. .(If id bet money, id say hes on roids)I have two questions.

Do steroids make you only big, but not strong?

If you train natually, why would you be that big, but not as perportionally strong?

sorel_C is offline Member
    theres alot more to it then that,, could be he is comming off an intense diet,, could be a maintance workout,, he could be executing perfect form with extreme contracting, or above all else ITS THE JUICE!!!

S431M7 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffenspade

Do steroids make you only big, but not strong?

?
    It depends on individual will, personally I feel much stronger on roid than when I'm off. I guess some people would feel or experience the opposite. It is all in will power, boy.

androbolic_09 is offline Associate Member
    Theres alot of different things to consider. He could of used synthol. Or he may be genetically gifted in the size gaining department, but with weaker muscle fibers. Or like Chris said, he could have just come off a diet, cuz i have lost 30+ lbs on my bench press from doing lo carb before, and not lost much size.

D.Rod 004 is offline Junior Member
    Its all genetic

takedownII is offline Member
    he had 35 inch arms???

millionairemurph is offline Senior Member
    maybe he prefatigued his bi's i do hat all the time. i do lats first and then bi's last. I can only do a barbell curl of like 70lbs after that. normally it alot more. Sometimes i'll drop set after that. Then i might get down to a 20lb barbell and it will take all i have to push it 4 reps. i see old men staring at me and smiling when they're lifting their 40lb barbells.
    who know what kind of routine this guy is on. and juice makes you strong and big!!!!

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    It could also be that he is gettin ready for a competition, photo shoot, etc. he may be dieting by how you explained him. Not all body builders are massively ripped and veiney and "superhuge" all year round. During pre contest diet you loose a lot of strength but you retain your massive muscle size as well as gettin paperthin skin, loosing water weight, fat weight, and getting extremely veiny. You also become extremely irritable when people STARE at you while your trying to get your lifts done. So quit starin at the dude and focus on your workout. This is not everyone tho as some people are different. And to point out that he is probably on AAS....or AAS makes you big and not strong is a misconception. I personally am stronger while on AAS but if dieting loose some strength. Not being mean but guys always ask me, or talk behind my back bout AAS and its irritating cus they know nothing behind it. Or when some semi pro body builder comes in they sit there and stair and then say, "oh my he is on steroids , he'll die in 2 years!" LOL, its fricken absurd. And this dude gets PISSED when people stair, so try not to stair or talk bout the big guys cus if your in this forum you may be there one day!

Quote Originally Posted by takedownII
    he had 35 inch arms???

!!!!!????

D-Money is offline Associate Member
    35 inches! I think your exagerating a little bit. Ronnie is that size, and his are 23 inches.

Baba is offline Associate Member
    nobody has 35" arms not even valentino. There could be many variables why he was curling 60lb dumbells depending on what he did before the curls or could be his diet. It also could be a particular routine.

tripple6 is offline New Member
    Well that explains it, 35" arms he wouldn't have any ROM.. lol

scaramouche is offline Senior Member
    maybe he was going light that day

J-41-sd is offline Associate Member
    So how DID the hulk fit into the gym, was it some sort of outdoor place or what, btw most people on this board don't even have 35 inch waists.

Thread Information