Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires

Anyone own an AK47?

I'm looking to pick one up, around $400 but I want it to be reliable and decently accurate... a couple hundred yards would be OK. Anybody own one, and did you build it or buy it complete?

TbolzNdbols is offline Associate Member
    I think the m16 is 100 times better

Quote Originally Posted by TbolzNdbols
    I think the m16 is 100 times better
    It probably is, but it costs 2 1/2 times what the AK does, and the AK47 fires a larger round.

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    Don't buy an ak47 if you claim you're looking for accuracy... Trust me I'm a good shot when it comes to any variant of the m16 or m4a1, my shot group with the ak47 was UNREAL (unreal being very bad), it was the same way with all my buddies... We also fired the SKS which is very similar and thus had similar results

The reason they shoot so bad is because they were built so loose that they can withstand stuff such as sand, etc and still be able to shoot, therefore they are very reliable... Meanwhile you got to keep an m16 clean because the parts are fairly tight thus sand = your enemy... too much and it won't fire....

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    It probably is, but it costs 2 1/2 times what the AK does, and the AK47 fires a larger round.
    Yeah I Wouldn't wana get hit by an ak round

Atomini is offline Banned
    Any AR15 variant (M16 models) as long as they are still chambered in 5.56x45mm will do MORE damage to the human body at closer ranges (300 meters and below) than any 7.62 chambered weapon. The 7.62x51mm and 7.62x39mm are excellent for long range and do more damage at longer ranges, but when in an age like this do you ever engage targets at greater distances than 400 meters?

Larger rounds = more effective and accurate at longer ranges + no arcing trajectory

Smaller rounds = more effective and accurate at shorter ranges + arcing trajectory + tumbling round

An AK is pretty good, especially if you can get one for $400. Personally I own a SIG SG 550, which is a Swiss masterpiece of a weapon, though I absolutely hate any 5.56x45mm chambered weaons. Had way too many problems with them when I was in the army, and the SIG SG series of r***es are pretty much the only 5.56x45mm chambered r***es that I would use. They are very expensive, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomini
    Any AR15 variant (M16 models) as long as they are still chambered in 5.56x45mm will do MORE damage to the human body at closer ranges (300 meters and below) than any 7.62 chambered weapon. The 7.62x51mm and 7.62x39mm are excellent for long range and do more damage at longer ranges, but when in an age like this do you ever engage targets at greater distances than 400 meters?

Larger rounds = more effective and accurate at longer ranges + no arcing trajectory

Smaller rounds = more effective and accurate at shorter ranges + arcing trajectory + tumbling round

An AK is pretty good, especially if you can get one for $400. Personally I own a SIG SG 550, which is a Swiss masterpiece of a weapon, though I absolutely hate any 5.56x45mm chambered weaons. Had way too many problems with them when I was in the army, and the SIG SG series of r***es are pretty much the only 5.56x45mm chambered r***es that I would use. They are very expensive, however.
    Good example would be this one detainee who was shot by a 5.56mm m16 round in the shoulder... Weeks later he went to the medic complaining of a pain in his foot, needless to say the bullet was extracted from his foot.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking to pick one up, around $400 but I want it to be reliable and decently accurate... a couple hundred yards would be OK. Anybody own one, and did you build it or buy it complete?
    an ak will do what you are asking. $400 is about what they are going for now. i got 2 of them, but i got mine for $250 years ago. ive seen kit guns put together and the ones ive fired all had some functioning issues. heres a pic of one of my nhm91 with a 100 rd drum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone own an AK47?-nhm91..jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoney
    Good example would be this one detainee who was shot by a 5.56mm m16 round in the shoulder... Weeks later he went to the medic complaining of a pain in his foot, needless to say the bullet was extracted from his foot.
    Wow, yeah thats messed up. The 5.56 round is a very unstable round, which is why it's so lethal at close range.

One account of one of the first few victims of the M16 in Vietnam early 1965,

"According to one report, an ARVN ranger platoon took on a Viet Cong unit estimated to be company strength, Five Viet Cong were killed, all by AR-15s. The first was killed by a back wound, which caused the thoracic cavity to explode. The second died of a stomach wound, which caused the a**ominal cavity to explode. The third died from a chest wound, which destroyed the thoracic cavity. The fifth died from a heel wound that split the leg all the way to the hip. All died instantaneously except for the Viet Cong with the buttock wound: "He lived approximately five minutes." Five men hit, five men dead - one from a heel wound normally not mortal."

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member

Unhappy

i have an MP5, but i live in NY so it's a semi-auto...

zipster_dude is offline Associate Member
    I am with some of the others. Unless you are on Safari in the desert with a lot of sand and minimum cleaning time, or you plan on burying you weapon for a year, watering the ground, growing grass on top, digging up later and firing it like it was brand new, the carbine ar-15 preferably in pre-ban (flash suppressor) is the way to go.

I would only buy a true soviet era Kalashnikov for reliability in the ak-47. Later versions have skipped crucial manufacturing steps to cut cost. Frequent jamming, gumming of firing pin, etc...are often problems with some of the models.

As far as the damage assessment between the m-16 and the ak, I agree that if using as direct hit weapon the m-16 is better, however, the ak can shoot through cars, brick walls, light armor and such. Depends on the application.

peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    i would say go with the AK. ive seen what an Ak and a M16 can do to targets. if your not planning on shooting longer than 300m then the AK is what you want. and if you wanted to shoot farther, why the hell would you choose M16?

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    an ak will do what you are asking. $400 is about what they are going for now. i got 2 of them, but i got mine for $250 years ago. ive seen kit guns put together and the ones ive fired all had some functioning issues. heres a pic of one of my nhm91 with a 100 rd drum

remind me to never come to your house un announced....

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Did you know that General Kalashnikov, the guy who designed and built the AK has never recieved any ammount of monie through royalties of his patent being used. The AK is the most reproduced r***e of all time.
    Bad eh. poor fella.

I love the US wish i lived there,
    if i did id have a MP5 and an AK.
    I would sleep with a Desert Eagle .50 and a Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum under my pillow and have a Glock 9mm in my bed side drawer.

Ir0n is offline Associate Member
    Man you guys are crazy about guns there in US. And why the hell would you need an AK47?

Quote Originally Posted by Ir0n
    Man you guys are crazy about guns there in US. And why the hell would you need an AK47?
    Because it's awesome.

Hey i'm Canadian and I own a few r***es and handguns. Who says firearms enthusiasm is American-only?

EDIT: Also, the biggest gun culture in the world is not America, it's Switzerland. I THINK they allow their citizens to own automatic weapons and there's apparently as many shooting ranges there as there are McDonalds here in North America, and they hold shooting competitions weekly there. They also allow their reservists to take their r***es home with them instead of leaving them at the armory at work.
    Last edited by Atomini; 10-03-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Why would you buy something that you don't use? Or do you?

Of course I use it. Do I kill things with it? No, not unless I have to defend myself. But I go to the shooting range for target practice just as a golfer would go to the driving range.

I guess it's illegal to own one where I live. The news even put up a fuss when kids play around with the plastic palet guns...

3bd
    3bd is offline Anabolic Member
    I guess it's illegal to own one where I live. The news even put up a fuss when kids play around with the plastic palet guns...
    Are guns ever used in crimes over there in Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Atomini
    EDIT: Also, the biggest gun culture in the world is not America, it's Switzerland. I THINK they allow their citizens to own automatic weapons and there's apparently as many shooting ranges there as there are McDonalds here in North America, and they hold shooting competitions weekly there. They also allow their reservists to take their r***es home with them instead of leaving them at the armory at work.

This sounds abotu right. The country who wont allow fast cars because they are...well, too fast.
    Oh and they wont allow noisey cars either, probably because they are too noisey.

Quote Originally Posted by 3**
    Yes of course they are, A guard (copper) was shot last weekn in dublin after pulling over a stolen car. or something like that.
    Plenty of people have guns. You have to remember that it is not all that long ago that the good friday peace agrement was made. Up till then there were plenty of guns around, mostly for rebbelious splinter groups.
    Im pretty sure that if you look hard enough you will still find huge weapon caches hidden in the hills of bandit country.

As goes for guns in the UK and similarly ireland, anything that is auto or semi auto is illegal, same goes for hand held revolvers.
    the only gun you could get legally is a 12 bore shot gun type. even that has to satisfy certain regultions and you have to get it approved by the local police. aswell as have a background and mental health assessment.

3bd
    I'm sure you've heard it before, but our premiss here in the states has always been that if guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns. This ****m does seem to hold true.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but our premiss here in the states has always been that if guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns. This ****m does seem to hold true.
    Very true!!! I hear on teh news today that a 22yr old girl got caught in cross fire last night and got gatted in south london.
    regular thing donw here.
    And it is normally the yougn late teen wanna be gangster, limp walking wankers who cant fight for shit who are the gun totters.

3bd
    Same thing still happens over here. The only difference I would imagine is breaking into someone's home over here and gambling on whether they are armed or not. And now that many people are obtaining concealed weapons permits here it will really start to get interesting.

Same thing still happens over here. The only difference I would imagine is breaking into someone's home over here and gambling on whether they are armed or not. And now that many people are obtaining concealed weapons permits here it will really start to get interesting.
    I will say though that not that much crim is actually done with guns. its normally gangs settling scores that hit the headlines. The most violent crime is done at knife point.
    The only other crimes i can think of at gu point are robbery, but that is few and far betwwen here becasue the country is so small and very limmeted on places to hide.

The gangs are armed as hell. They shot a cop to stomarch recently with a sawn off shotgun when he was begging for his life. (he survived).

Few workers and plummers got shot into head last month too. Reason - gang though it was someone else and made a slight mistake

knives here are the worst thing though. I'd prefer to be shot than sliced and diced

theres loads of guns in the uk,you can pick a converted 8mm up for around £60.00,depending on where you hang about in birmingham its like every f***ing kid has got one...more of a fashion acsessory than self defence.

but why an ak???how pissed off do you need to be to think 'thats it im getting my ak' lol.

ill stay in england with our ridiculous laws that stop us getting killed just for going to school/work or getting petrol.lol

39+1 is offline Banned
    the 308 its not accurate but they are cool. if you ant accuracy get the ar15 it also has the abilty to volley.
    I think i recently read the AR company is producing a 308 version of the AR15which should be cool to0.
    The ak is cheap thats why everyone has them.
    The M16 or the AR15 whatever you wanna call it is accurate 300 yards wiht open sights. the AK sucks

3bd
    Quote Originally Posted by 39+1
    ... the AK sucks
    But the ak is soooooo sexy

Why would you buy something that you don't use? Or do you?
    One word... Insurance.

Same reason I have seat belts in my car and a fire extinguisher in my house.

One word... Insurance.

Same reason I have seat belts in my car and a fire extinguisher in my house.
    against what?the taliban.lol

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    To kill giant roosters.

RA
    Sweet looking gun cap

Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    To kill giant roosters.
    is that i big prob over there?lol.

RA

RA
    Actually about the only thing I hunt is deer. I might do some small game from time to time but not often...

I love shooting though. Especially clay pigeons.

It would be cool to target practice with an AK...

arghhhhhhhh....fu*kin hell

thank god we dont have those over here with our gun laws...we would be propper fu*ked.lol

Actually about the only thing I hunt is deer. I might do some small game from time to time but not often...

I love shooting though. Especially clay pigeons.

It would be cool to target practice with an AK...
    i was gonna say,deer hunting with an ak?????/isnt that a little unsporting.lol

RA
    Yep, we have the largest peckers in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ronan the barbarian
    arghhhhhhhh....fu*kin hell

thank god we dont have those over here with our gun laws...we would be propper fu*ked.lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information