Thread: NSAID Question

B.E.N. is offline Member

NSAID & Acetaminophen Question

I posted this over in the supplement forum as well...thought it would get more input over here though.

I've read all about taking NSAID and how they result in decreased levels of post-exercise protein synthesis.

However I have problems sleeping ever since my schedule has changed. In an attempt to get my rest I have been taking ONE Tylenol PM 15 mitues before bed. The bottle calls for TWO. I was only planning on taking the Tylenol PM for about a week or two until my body resets itself to my new hours.

Question is would this one Tylenol PM for two weeks be significant enough to decrease protein systhesis and hypertrophy????

Note: Tylenol PM does contain Acetaminophen
    Last edited by B.E.N.; 10-09-2007 at 02:15 PM.

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow good question any one

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    I really doubt it. The worst possible thing that could happen is that it might take your muscles just a little longer to recover from workouts, but at one pill, I cant imagine it would be too serious.

I had bad back issues and used to pop ibuprofen like candy....I did notice after a few weeks that I need to add and extra day off here and there.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Get a script for Ambien or Seroquel.... Seroquel actually spikes your appetite through the roof...

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    Get a script for Ambien or Seroquel.... Seroquel actually spikes your appetite through the roof...
    Don't care what the docs all say...it is mad addictive and leaves a nasty hangover. I have to get my workouts in the AM...would be bad news. Want my body to naturally (as possible) regulate itself to my schedule. Melatonin helps but does not have that KO power.
    Last edited by B.E.N.; 10-09-2007 at 02:00 PM.

rbehniwal is offline Associate Member
    Tylenol is not a NSAID.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbehniwal
    Tylenol is not a NSAID.
    But it contains acetaminophen which is also inhibits protein sysnthesis. Do you want me to change the title...I think more people would know about NSAID and side effects than acetaminophen.

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I am not so sure they Tylenol inhibit protein synthesis. NSAID's most certainly do because they reduce inflammation via cox-2 inhibition which indirectly effects muscle growth. Tylenol acts upon ones CNS so I'm not so sure they effect PS as do NSAID's.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants11
    I am not so sure they Tylenol inhibit protein synthesis. NSAID's most certainly do because they reduce inflammation via cox-2 inhibition which indirectly effects muscle growth. Tylenol acts upon ones CNS so I'm not so sure they effect PS as do NSAID's.
    I was not sure either until I did a cursory search on google and found many articles. It looks like most studies on NSAID and acetaminophen are high dosages (1200mg and 4000mg), so not sure if my smaller dosage (500mg) are having an adverse side effect.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/co.../3/E551?ck=nck

Anyone????

juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N.
    I was not sure either until I did a cursory search on google and found many articles. It looks like most studies on NSAID and acetaminophen are high dosages (1200mg and 4000mg), so not sure if my smaller dosage (500mg) are having an adverse side effect.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/co.../3/E551?ck=nck

Anyone????

Just wanted to point out that tylenol is hepatotoxic at larger doses so make sure to use less than 4grams in a 24 hour period. Though not sure about its effects at the normal doses .. I'll keep checking the research material and post the results.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i can't find shit on this...

so do a couple aleve (NSAID) have the capability to slow protein synthesis?
    how about a couple advil (basically acetaminophen)?

Giantz, do you know of any literature on the subject?

Project is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants11
    Through what pathway does cox-2 effect muscle growth?

Project is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N.
    But it contains acetaminophen which is also inhibits protein sysnthesis. Do you want me to change the title...I think more people would know about NSAID and side effects than acetaminophen.
    I've never heard of APAP having an effect on protein syn

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    i can't find shit on this...

so do a couple aleve (NSAID) have the capability to slow protein synthesis?
    how about a couple advil (basically acetaminophen)?

Giantz, do you know of any literature on the subject?

Tons of info on the net...Google 'NSAID and protein synthesis' or 'acetaminophen and protein synthesis'

Problem is all the studies are done at higher doses. I am curious about smaller quantities. I have been told by physical therapists that ibuprofen and the like are no worth taking UNLESS you take them in high doses to knock down inflammation. Where are all the physical therapy students on here?!

B.E.N. is offline Member

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    just take benadryl before bed instead of the tylenol pm. Tylenol PM contains 500 mg of the pain reliever, acetaminophen, and 25 mg of the sleep aid, diphenhydramine HCl. You can buy either name brand benadryl or generic diphenhydramine hcl.

Why take a drug you don't need? And it should save you some cash.

juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos
    just take benadryl before bed instead of the tylenol pm. Tylenol PM contains 500 mg of the pain reliever, acetaminophen, and 25 mg of the sleep aid, diphenhydramine HCl. You can buy either name brand benadryl or generic diphenhydramine hcl.

Why take a drug you don't need? And it should save you some cash.
    EXACTLY .. good point Kratos! Diphenhydramine generic is cheap!

Thread Information