Thread: MMA vs Boxing

abmyers is offline Associate Member

MMA vs Boxing

Have you seen the purses that popular MMA fighters are fighting for?

Probably the most popular MMA fighter, Randy Couture, fought for a salary of $250,000 in his last fight against Gabriel Gonzaga (who fought for $45,000.00) in UFC 74. He also received a portion of the PPV revenue, and sources say he made approximately $1,000,000.00 total for the fight. The total PPV revenues for the fight were appox 40 million. Percentage wise, the headline fighters brought home less than 3% of the revenue from the fight.

The biggest boxing fight in history (money wise) was the De La Hoya - Mayweather fight. In that fight, De La Hoya made $52,000,000.00!! Mayweather made $25,000,000.00!! The fight brought in $120,000,000 from PPV. Together, the fighters brought home more than 64% of the PPV revenue.

Am I missing something or are MMA fighters hugely underpaid compared to fighters on the boxing side?

importeater91 is offline Member
    i like them both but i like MMA a little better.... MMA is big but not as big as boxing and they havent been around as long as boxing was...maybe thats why

duramaxedge is offline Senior Member
    So lets sum this up in one word.. OVER-PAID

duramaxedge is offline Senior Member
    or is that 2? maybe its a conjunction

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    i think MMA is just a growing sport.. the 2 most potential growing sports in the US are hockey and mma .. i think give it a few years to grow and we will see higher % rates.. plus MMA is way better. i fought a few times but never got any $ at our local events.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    i think MMA is just a growing sport.. the 2 most potential growing sports in the US are hockey and mma .. i think give it a few years to grow and we will see higher % rates.. plus MMA is way better. i fought a few times but never got any $ at our local events.
    Those local events really "kick ass" Hahahah gets ya pumped everytime ya watch them let alone fight in them. If you loose larger, i will make fun of you Youll be fine tho, in that area there really arent any good fighters, just a bunch of wanna be gang banging white farm boys who think they can fight. ITs kinda funny actually

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    ha gotta watch out for the farmers man they can fight too. trustm me. yeah there are not a lot of good figthers here but i have meet a few that can throw down! u know i wont lose bro! hahah well unless i fight way outta my weight class!

Thread Information