Thread: Mcat

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Mcat

So Im thinking of going the medical route.
    Have any of you taken the MCAT or know people who have?
    How was it? What was your/their score? Any tips/tricks?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    The MCAT is a bear of a test, it sucks for sure. Just make sure you know your organic chemistry really well and you should do fine. That is were a lot of people get low scores is in the chem section. Do a workshop or how to class, most schools have an MCAT prep group or class. They may cost money for some of them but they are well worth it.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    yeah, i hear organic chem is a mother. i passed inorganic with flying colors. my gpa is 3.92 right now.
    im taking organic chem next semester. Im bout to order the Examkrackers complete study package. its like 150 though

and ill look into those prep classes.

thanks

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    yep organic is a biatch had it two semesters ago but now that im in micro organic seems easy

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The MCAT is challenging, but it can be aced with good preparation. When I took it, many years ago, it had me so stressed out before the test because of all the stories I had heard about it. My words of wisdom would be to be well prepped in your Chem knowledge and do a study group prep. There are lots of offerings out there and I would do some research on what is the best prep guides and where you can get involved in a classroom setting study group.

One more word of advice- make sure you are a well rounded student when you apply to different Med schools. Although the MCAT and gpa are very important, have a well rounded bio really helps set you aside from other applicants. Look at it as a competition, which getting into Med school really is, and you will be fine. My MCAT was high, gpa average, but had military service on my background and they told me that's why I was going to get in. The schools want to have a good blend of students and I had the experience and maturity that added to my class. Maybe you could do some volunteer work or something of that nature???

Hit me up if you need any more input- good luck if you go that route. We are in need of more Physicians, PA's, NP's, etc...

Doc M

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    you have any regrets about going to school that long?...i'm early 20's now, so i'll be done before i hit 30...but then i'd have to become a resident for another 3 years....i'm a nursing student now, and i without a doubt am going to get my masters, but i'll be able to work as an RN while i'm still going to school to become a practitioner...i'd LOVE to continue on and become a physician....is it feasable to continue going to med school and working as an RN or is med-school too demanding of my time and effort? How does that actually work- when do u begin to make money? being 30 years old and just beginning my career seems like quite a risk...

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    yeah, i hear organic chem is a mother. i passed inorganic with flying colors. my gpa is 3.92 right now.
    im taking organic chem next semester. Im bout to order the Examkrackers complete study package. its like 150 though

and ill look into those prep classes.

thanks
    Organic chem is needed for most degrees that lead to the medical field, usually more than one semester. Why are you even thinking about MCAT's now if you have yet to take an organic chem class. Studying for the MCAT is a massive undertaking as it covers such a broad range of disciplines that you either know or you do not. When you get to that point, take a prep course.

Thread Information