Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

The experience of bodybuilding

I think what really draws me to bodybuilding is the immediate experience of training.

When I think of it in the abstract, in terms of my remote goals, I get this uncertain and uncomfortable feeling. I experience conflict and doubt dispite my annual success. Every year it's the same thing. Off season I eat and drink whatever I was (including beer). I billow at the waist line and my head gets super round like an egg. I dress in extra loose shirts, tucked out of course.

Then, on season begins and I start my ketogenic diet, cardio, and high volume training. Because I have so much bodyfat off season, for many weeks I see little results and upon introspection the doubts abound. I think, was it this hard last year? Maybe I've lost resolve. Maybe I don't have the fire in my bellie any more. Maybe the nihilist in me has eclipsed my aspirations and I'm going to wonder the earth - a drifter with a long unkempt beard like a guy who studies the torah.

But then I think of that old beatnik addage, "loose your mind and come back to your senses" and I just enjoy the experience. When I train, I really focus on the mind-body connection and I just go with the flow. I follow my basic plan - 6 meals a day. Low carb (one high carb day every two weeks and one high calorie day every alternate week). I drink two gallons of water a day. Training is 2-3 hours a day. It's alot of work but those moments in the gym (whether cardio or weights) are timeless moments. When I walk away, I realize I'm happy just being "alone" in the gym. I love being there and doing this.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura View Post
    I think what really draws me to bodybuilding is the immediate experience of training.

When I think of it in the abstract, in terms of my remote goals, I get this uncertain and uncomfortable feeling. I experience conflict and doubt dispite my annual success. Every year it's the same thing. Off season I eat and drink whatever I was (including beer). I billow at the waist line and my head gets super round like an egg. I dress in extra loose shirts, tucked out of course.

Then, on season begins and I start my ketogenic diet, cardio, and high volume training. Because I have so much bodyfat off season, for many weeks I see little results and upon introspection the doubts abound. I think, was it this hard last year? Maybe I've lost resolve. Maybe I don't have the fire in my bellie any more. Maybe the nihilist in me has eclipsed my aspirations and I'm going to wonder the earth - a drifter with a long unkempt beard like a guy who studies the torah.

But then I think of that old beatnik addage, "loose your mind and come back to your senses" and I just enjoy the experience. When I train, I really focus on the mind-body connection and I just go with the flow. I follow my basic plan - 6 meals a day. Low carb (one high carb day every two weeks and one high calorie day every alternate week). I drink two gallons of water a day. Training is 2-3 hours a day. It's alot of work but those moments in the gym (whether cardio or weights) are timeless moments. When I walk away, I realize I'm happy just being "alone" in the gym. I love being there and doing this.
    thats exactly how i feel

Thread Information