Thread: Gene Doping

noneyours is offline Junior Member

Gene Doping

"'m in Germany as I write and on German television tonight, a news feature revealed the discussions taking place between the German government and the medical and sports communities about the dangers of gene doping. One doctor stated: 'You can already buy gene therapies on the internet. They were designed to treat cancer but we all know where some of them are headed."

Any ideas on what the guy in this article is talking about? I sure haven't seen anything like that on the internet.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noneyours View Post
    "'m in Germany as I write and on German television tonight, a news feature revealed the discussions taking place between the German government and the medical and sports communities about the dangers of gene doping. One doctor stated: 'You can already buy gene therapies on the internet. They were designed to treat cancer but we all know where some of them are headed."

Any ideas on what the guy in this article is talking about? I sure haven't seen anything like that on the internet.
    Ya some of the newer drugs actually cause an alteration in ones genome or genetic profile causing desired results in body chemistry..... So its not too far fetched as myostatin inhibitors and SARMS are a reality and give a few more years you could take a drug that alters your DNA for sports and stuff to that nature...

Atomini is offline Banned
    Hah, what are they going to do with this one?

Why in the god damn hell don't they already just accept that performance enhancement is an evolutionary part of sports just as improved equipment is? There is no stopping this, lol.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    Hah, what are they going to do with this one?

Why in the god damn hell don't they already just accept that performance enhancement is an evolutionary part of sports just as improved equipment is? There is no stopping this, lol.
    Ya I can see it now... some dude goes from 180lbs 12% body fat to like 315lb @ 6% in a year... and there like... No hes good to go... he pissed clean...

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    There are two schools of thought on this. The use of transcription factors to increase or in the case of the myostatin gene to decrease its transcription activity of a particular gene sequence. Right now finding transcription factors is probably the most advanced route for the time being. The other method where there is actually a change in the genetic makeup has a whole host of fundamental problems that need to be worked out. The last i read the only published genetic therapy in humans was a small boy who was being treated for cystic fibrousis. They were trying to knockout or replace the defect gene that controls the chloride content that is required for healthy lung function.

In order to introduce a new genetic sequence to a target cell there has to be a vector to shuttle the new genetic sequence into the cell and actual splice in the gene into the euchromatin, which is the readable part of the non-condensed chromosomes. This vector is usually a virus that has had all or most of its own genetic material removed and transplanted with the desired genes into the viral capsid where the genetic material is housed.

One of the problems with this method is that only a certain amount of dna can be packed into the virus. So only small genes with small genetic sequences can be loaded into the virus. In the case of the boy with CF they used a rhinovirus similar to the common cold that infects the aveolar cells in the lungs.

Unfortunatily the child dead some time later due to the therapy that at first seemed to be somewhat effective.

Atomini is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Ya I can see it now... some dude goes from 180lbs 12% body fat to like 315lb @ 6% in a year... and there like... No hes good to go... he pissed clean...
    More like in a couple weeks, lol.

It's so stupid. Those boneheads in their business suits should just accept performance enhancement as being a part of athletics already.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    More like in a couple weeks, lol.

It's so stupid. Those boneheads in their business suits should just accept performance enhancement as being a part of athletics already.
    yep for sure.......

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    There are two schools of thought on this. The use of transcription factors to increase or in the case of the myostatin gene to decrease its transcription activity of a particular gene sequence. Right now finding transcription factors is probably the most advanced route for the time being. The other method where there is actually a change in the genetic makeup has a whole host of fundamental problems that need to be worked out. The last i read the only published genetic therapy in humans was a small boy who was being treated for cystic fibrousis. They were trying to knockout or replace the defect gene that controls the chloride content that is required for healthy lung function.

In order to introduce a new genetic sequence to a target cell there has to be a vector to shuttle the new genetic sequence into the cell and actual splice in the gene into the euchromatin, which is the readable part of the non-condensed chromosomes. This vector is usually a virus that has had all or most of its own genetic material removed and transplanted with the desired genes into the viral capsid where the genetic material is housed.

One of the problems with this method is that only a certain amount of dna can be packed into the virus. So only small genes with small genetic sequences can be loaded into the virus. In the case of the boy with CF they used a rhinovirus similar to the common cold that infects the aveolar cells in the lungs.

Unfortunatily the child dead some time later due to the therapy that at first seemed to be somewhat effective.

i saw something similar to that on disc. science or health.

Understanding the power of genetics was the name of the show.

but they talked about using it to cure something in the heart.

i cant remember exactly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalsux View Post
    i saw something similar to that on disc. science or health.

Understanding the power of genetics was the name of the show.

but they talked about using it to cure something in the heart.

i cant remember exactly.
    Yeah its a pretty interesting topic. Currently a lot of the research is geared towards type I diabetes. They are trying to introduce human insulin or in some cases animal based insulin genes to cause the pancreas to produce its own insulin again. That is were I forsee the major breakthroughs just because there is a lot of medical research being done on it with some of the best minds in the world. The NSF is throwing money left and right to any lab or research group that has anything to due with this topic. Except if it is embryonic stem cell based methods.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Yeah its a pretty interesting topic. Currently a lot of the research is geared towards type I diabetes. They are trying to introduce human insulin or in some cases animal based insulin genes to cause the pancreas to produce its own insulin again. That is were I forsee the major breakthroughs just because there is a lot of medical research being done on it with some of the best minds in the world. The NSF is throwing money left and right to any lab or research group that has anything to due with this topic. Except if it is embryonic stem cell based methods.

it was interesting. i scheduled it to record all episodes if it comes on again, it hasn't

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel once we have the ability to unearth stem cell research and are not hindered by the laws that do not advocate it, advancement will be extremely fast.

I think the advancements will be as fast or faster than the computer advancements in the last 20 years. In 20 years, look what we have done with computers.

The computer was a great discovery, but the mapping of our own DNA has probably been our biggest discovery yet. In the next 20 years, I think it’s realistic for people to double their life span and genetic disorders won’t be a problem. Funding for these types of programs will flow as people understand the ability for a company making these types of advancements to make money. Billions will be spent.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I bought a bottle of genes from ebay that helps me see hot men everywhere

Thread Information